Harry Potter Trunk - 7 Years of Hogwarts in a Box

apvandergriff

Hello All,
This will be my first ongoing Work in Progress, and I'm super excited as it seems like it will be really fun and manageable, albeit long-term.
This has been rolling around in my head since finishing the novels
I will be making a full-on 1:1 Harry Potter Hogwarts Trunk which will include the following items, and possibly more:
Harry's Trunk
eRSGSe.jpg (Edit: pick added 7/29/14)
Harry's Eye Glasses (Noble Collection)
Hogwarts Invitation letter
Wooden and Resin Harry's Wand - 11 inches w/ Phoenix Feather Core
Chocolate Frog with Wizard Card
Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans
Platform 9 3/4 Hogwarts Express Ticket
Photo Album of Harry's Parents
Sorting Hat (Leather)
Rememberal
School Robe
Weasley Sweater
Tie
Scarf
Golden Snitch (Gold Electroplated)
Hagrid's Flute
Sorcerer's Stone
Tom Riddle's Diary w/ Sock inside
Basilisk Fang
Various Potion Vials w/ Labels
Polyjuice Potion / Mad Eye's flask
Sword of Godric Gryffindor
Sirius Black Wanted Poster
Time Turner
Marauder's Map
Buckbeak Feather
Kightbus Ticket
Quidditch World Cup Program and Ticket
Chudley Cannons Pennant
Golden Egg
Gillyweed
Galleon, Sickle and Knut
Something from the Yule ball
Weasley Wizard Wheezes Candy
D.A. Sign-up List
Order of the Phoenix Photo
Quibbler
Slytherin Locket
Cloak of invisibility
Resurrection Stone/ Mavolo Ring
Elder Wand
Hufflepuff Cup
Ravenclaw Diadem
Shard of Two-way Mirror
Daily Prophet
Monster Book of Monsters
Hogwarts:A History
Standard Book of Spells
Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore
Advanced Potion Making
Tales of Beedle the Bard

Outside the Trunk:
Hedwig in Cage
Firebolt

Obviously, this will take some time, but I am about ready to start. I picked up a copy of the Film Wizardry book, which is chock full of helpful tidbits as well as excellent reference photos and some good to "meah" paper prop replicas.

Also, after a long time searching, I finally found the perfect trunk on ebay.uk (switching my country of origin in the search made all the difference as English Steamer Trunks are very different from their American counterparts.) in what has to be the most pleasant and easy ebay experience I've ever had, I was able to pick up a trunk for almost exactly $300.00 (shipping included) from ebay seller Pastndpresents. They seem to often auction steamer trunks like mine if others are interested.
bare trunk 1.pngbare trunk 2.pngbare trunk 3.png
Speaking of others, I have seen at least two other members doing similar projects. It is my aim that if I directly use ideas from those to credit them.

So here is where I am at so far... I will be stenciling on the Hogwarts crest and painting that sometime this week.I have bought from ebay a pair of the Noble Collection Harry Potter Eye Glasses and Wizard Money Coin Set.

My plans for the Noble Godric Gryffindor Sword are pretty cool if I say so myself. The Sword will fit diagonally in the trunk, so the idea is to create a false back that includes a sheath and create a really accurate Sorting Hat out of Leather. The Sorting Hat will have a small slit in the back so that the sword can look like it is resting and withdrawn from the hat... Warning: BAD MOCK UP:
sowrd placement mock up.png
I will be updating at least once a week from here on out, so please leave some feedback and suggestions if it pleases you! Thanks!

Last edited:
I am looking forward this. I am a huge HP fan myself. The sword from the hat idea is pretty cool. It might nice if you have monster book of monsters wrapped in a belt, but include a motion sensor in it so that it will vibrate when someone gets close.

This is a wonderful long-term project that I'm sure you will have loads of fun creating and putting together! A number of people here have worked on similar trunks and might have some great advise for you.

Just something you might want to consider:
It seems to me that a few things that I noticed on your list might be better placed on 'the outside' of the trunk; things that Harry wouldn't really have there would be Hagrid’s flute, the Ravenclaw diadem, a Hufflepuff cup, a Slytherin locket, and the Sorting Hat ... certainly not saying they aren't fantastic items, just that they probably wouldn't be found in Harry's trunk. That might leave you more room for other things.. Just a thought anyway.

You have a wonderful find there, and I can't wait to see how your gatherings progress. Thanks for sharing!

Mrdopey,
That would be a great idea. I had considered making it our of one of those large storage boxes that looks like a book and adding a foam interior with a few holes just enough wiggle room for two to three Weasel Balls that Cracker Barrel carries. I figure there is some why I could modify them by extending the electronics to a central motion detector and an off switch on the spine. Sounds like more work than I thought when I put it down in print. Could be cool idea. I probably won't be crossing that bridge for awhile though.
mbm mockup.png
As far as the outside, I think the guy who made the one on this site did a great job and plan on using ideas seen here:
http://www.harrypotterpartyideas.com/the-props/monster-book-of-monsters-and-other-books

PotionMistress,
Point taken, and well made. As far as the items I am including, it comes down to what I would want to see in it. If I included everything in Harry's trunk as if it was actually supposed to be then I could take that to the nth degree and only have clothes and maybe school supplies. I want to open this trunk and feel the John Williams' score, you know what I mean?
As far as Hagrid's flute. That definately would be in there as he gave Harry one for his birthday first year. In the movies they use a harp to put Fluffy to sleep, but in the books, Harry's B-Day present from ye ole half giant. and that basically sums it up for me. If I dig the movie design, I will run with that, but if I prefer how I imagined it whilst reading the novels more, I will default to that. thanks for the encouragement and input!

Last edited:
Okay so here in my idea for creating a wood Harry Potter Wand.

I love the films 3-8 design, and currently own a Noble collection wand, but alas... earwax! It just doesn't feel real, because, well... it is not. I want this item to be a signature piece in the trunk and have began brain storming an approach to do this justice. My initial thought would be to hand carve one, but after scouring the net, I have only seen one that really blew my socks off and it was made by someone who obviously had some major woodworking knowledge, which I just don't posses. Nothing against learning a new skill set, but I think I may have come up with the best of both worlds...

I think I will take the Noble wand, cut off the exposed "wood" portion, and drill a hole running at least half way down through the handle. Then take actual Holly (which is supposedly rare, but found easily at the local woodworking shop) and create the exposed wood elements. This section would be several inches (approximately 3") shorter than the Noble version as Harry's wand is 11" according to Ollivander.

Now for the tricky element, which I would love some feedback on.... I want the wand to have a Phoenix Feather Core... that is removable.

This means I will also have to drill a hole the length of the wooden elements as well to accommodate this feature. Obviously a feather procured from some variety of parrot will do, but not sure how easily it will fit. The idea is to wrap the feather tightly in a sleeve of aged paper, complete with runes of some kind. This would then be inserted into the wood section and then the wood section fitting snugly on the handle.

Either separated in one of two places such as this:
wand.png
if so inclined, let me know your thoughts and suggestions!

Fantastic find on that trunk! I've been thinking of starting a project similar to this one (as well as my Iron Man suit and the other million things I've started but never finished). However, I don't have nearly as big a budget as you, so I'm gonna have to build the trunk from scratch. Still, it keeps me busy. Looking forward to more updates.

I don't know a good way to make the feather removable, but I have done wands with cores in them. I cut the wood in half, cut a core spot, put the feather/hair in, glued it shut, and lathed the wood around it. No way to see that the core is there unless you break it open.

A quick though, I'd recommend a rooster feather, since they are a good color for a pheonix and they can be pretty thin which is good for fitting inside a small space.

TK8541,
Thanks for the encouraging words. For those of you that are interested and havent seen it yet, TK8541 has done an amazing full book version of Advanced Potion-Making that can be found here:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/advanced-potion-making-book-replica-217083/

The14thDr,
Thanks. The budget is going to be less of an issue as I will be spreading this over a long period of time. Add a little here, add a little there, you know. Good call on the Standard Book of Spells. I look forward to seeing your blog updates!

Tservo,
Good call on the small cauldron. I really ought to have listed all of the non- book items on Harry's School List. And thanks!

Zlurpo,
The rooster feather is a good idea. And thanks for the link! I really want the feather to be removable so this may take a few iterations.

New Update:
So, I was able to get on the cheap off ebay:
The Noble Collection's Harry's Glasses - pretty spot on, real glasses. Nice piece, came without box.
image.jpgimage.jpg

The Noble Collection Gringott's Coins - Arrived a bit tarnished on the "Wizard" side; in box. I'm planning on getting a few sets of these and maybe putting them all in Hermione's infinite handbag.
e9PoQk.jpgXQLv7F.jpg

Also, picked up the "sticker kit" Golden Snitch at my local Barnes and Noble - Its kinda garbage, but gives me at least a three dimensional version to mentally tinker with as I figure out the best way to make a good version.
JcZEwX.jpg

I have finished painting the initial Hogwarts crest on my trunk. PhoenixWand's "The Mamoth Potter project": http://www.therpf.com/f24/mamoth-potter-project-128694/, has been doing something very similar to what I am trying to accomplish. His thread seems to largely be based on clothing, and mine on prop replicas, but the idea is the same. In his thread, he gives credit to a great rendition of the Hogwarts crest to Pete SSS, of who's drawing I used as a basis. So thank you to both Pete SSS for creating the crest and to PhoenixWand for sharing.

I took the image, made a stencil, painted in the soft antique gold directly on the trunk, made another stencil, spray painted the black, touched up significantly with the gold using a brush, and ta-da. I'm happy with the results, but fell I need to weather the crest a bit more to match the rest of the trunk. Also, I need to add "HP"s to each side. As always, comments and suggestions are always helpful!
eRSGSe.jpg
xzF95g.jpg

Attachments

• trunk1.jpg
    trunk1.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
Hotsam,
Thanks for the info on the diadem. I will definitely wait it out for that. Now if Noble would just make a decent Golden Snitch!

Speaking of decent snitches (admittedly that sounds weird), Turbo Sausage (okay this can sound even stranger apparently) has 3D modeled an awesome snitch:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/3d-model-project-ideas-turbo-sausage-golden-snitch-wip-219078/

So new update:

I ordered a fantastic pair of books from an etsy seller who has asked not to post his name in the forum, but if you would like his contact information, he said I could give it out in PMs.

Advanced Potion-Making - It is blank except for the first page which has the familiar handwritten note inside. Also, I took fine tip silver paint pen and added the faded silver elements. I was thrilled with the results:
APM1.jpgAPM2.jpgAPM3.jpgAPM4.jpgAPM5.jpg

Tales of Beddle the Bard - came as pictured, blank with gold highlights already included:
TBB1.jpgTBB2.jpgTBB3.jpgTBB4.jpg

Now its just a matter of getting this the text.....

I'm doing something similar on a smaller scale. I have a small trunk with actual-size props in it. One day I hope to get a large British steamer trunk. I'm making and collecting things that I would have collected as a Hogwarts student, so I have an empty pumpkin juice bottle, every flavor beans package, Marauders map, butterbeer cup, wand, quill, that sort of thing. I made my own wooden wand with mostly a dremmel tool and it came out pretty well. You could probably do it. It looks like you are putting in a good effort to get quality items for your trunk. I came across some incredible wands a few weeks ago that you might be interested in. They have hollow cores and the end unscrews to reveal a hidden compartment. The wand comes with your choice of core (or maybe you get all of the options and can put whichever one you want in it). I saw them in person and they are very high quality. I would have bought one that day, but he didn't have the style I wanted in stock. I am probably going to order one unless I can hold off to ask for one as a Christmas gift. Here is the website if you are interested in taking a look. http://www.whirlwood.com/storyteller-hidden-chamber-magic-wands.html

Bluebird,
thanks for the heads up on that wand site. Very cool stuff indeed. Best o luck with your project as well.

Lordudesign,
that is eventually what I want to get towards but that will be a ways off.

UPDATE:
So my chest has locked up some how and will not open... If anyone knows how to pick this without breaking it, please come forward! I'd be so grateful.

I was able to pick up a Noble Firebolt for $150 on ebay. If you can find one at that price nab it, but I wouldn't pay full price for one.
Prop room for scale:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 551
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 396
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 329
Quick update: I've done some planning on how I want the pages for my Beddle the Bard copy to look and will post images as they are finished. I probably won't be adding more props to this collection until the the 2nd week of December. I'm going to Univeral's Wizarding world and want to save up for the haul of stuff I pan on getting there. I've read a ton online about it but if anyone has suggestions of cool exclusives to the park you would recommend please share. ToBB to come!

Fantastic job so far mate, I've been contemplating doing something similar ever since I read the books as a kid... This (and a few other similar projects) have given me a lot of inspiration. Still in the planning stage right now. I'll likely be coming at this from different angle to yourself, possible treating it as if I was a student and its my trunk- it'll also be doubling as a side table in my living room.

Will you be picking up a bat, bludger and quaffle? Don't believe we have the bat and bludger set here in uk so will be making my own (using a rounders bat).

Look forward to your updates, great long term project!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back