Harry Potter free paper props - all movies and more!

is this of any interest? i unfortunately don't have the skills to replicate this as fairly easy as it looks if anyone would like to take a shot at it

Here it is, quick and dirty.

thomas;)

lowdourbox.jpg

First I want to say what a treat it's been to go through all these pages! The talent here is insane.

I wanted to share with you what i've been working on. A couple of pages back I posted the revamped high quality house crests that I worked on for a project. Well here is that project! My sister is off at college and every once in a while I send her a couple of things here and there. She's a Harry Potter fan and I'm an amateur carpenter. So I stained and finished some boxes, and applied some Harry Potter appropriate graphics.

I loved making this one so much that I'm making one for each house. Now my sis has a lil tchotchke box for whatever! Just wanted to share! Thanks for the letter and inspiration!

FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC!!

(And I think I recognize the letter too ;))

First I want to say what a treat it's been to go through all these pages! The talent here is insane.

I wanted to share with you what i've been working on. A couple of pages back I posted the revamped high quality house crests that I worked on for a project. Well here is that project! My sister is off at college and every once in a while I send her a couple of things here and there. She's a Harry Potter fan and I'm an amateur carpenter. So I stained and finished some boxes, and applied some Harry Potter appropriate graphics.

I loved making this one so much that I'm making one for each house. Now my sis has a lil tchotchke box for whatever! Just wanted to share! Thanks for the letter and inspiration!

I SO WANT THIS BOX! :angel(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

epilepticsquirl that box looks amazing, I really like the way the logos look on the wood. Is it screen printed on there?

epilepticsquirl that box looks amazing, I really like the way the logos look on the wood. Is it screen printed on there?

Waterslide paper works real good for wood. I made a plaque a few years back with waterslide and it looked printed on

@epilepticsquirl That box is awesome! Your sister is very lucky to have a sibling who thinks of her in this way. Also, I've been reading about waterslide paper recently and it seems I'm going to have to try it out on something. Pretty cool stuff!
[/B]

Haha, thanks for the compliments. I've always had a weird affinity for boxes; especially the more ornate ones. So what better hobby for me, other than props, to make boxes on the side!
Eviltig is correct! These are indeed water slide decals. Here, I took a picture of another set that I cut, ready to be applied to the box. The closer the cut, the better! You can also kind of see how glossy the box is by the reflections!

As with everything else in life it's all in the preparation. The surface needs to be nearly finished before applying the decals. Most of my time is spent finishing the box so it's all shiny. These particular boxes are finished with a cherry stain, my favorite.

These boxes still need an additional coat of clear to seal everything up.

Glad you like em! Means i'm doing something right!

@eviltig, that's interesting! I haven't used that technique before. Will have to look into it.

Hey I was right (lol) I have not used it in awhile but when I used it I had a laser printer at the time and back then you couldnt use a inkjet so you would have to print what you want on a paper then go to a copy center and make a copy with there copier onto the waterslide paper.

Cut it out and soak it in water then it slides right off onto your piece then pat it down with a paper towel.

epilepticsquirl can tell you better if the water slide is different now or if inkjets will work.

It is really fun stuff to mess around with, I used to make model cars for fun with waterslide and it looked painted on.

@Luke, thank you very much for all that information. It's really amazing actually. I'm glad that I guessed the dimensions of my Potions book cover right haha! As for the color I've seen variations of it based on different photos, from various screenshots and promotional photos. There are a couple of photos where it's very purple in the film wizardry book (small pics), to subdued dirty purple, leaning towards brownish, and some that look more dark faded blue. With all the lighting situations and different copies of books, i'm certain there are several variations. Definitely the cover I gave to Hinky is too purple though, as for my cover i've darkened it considerably with acrylic medium/paint since then. I think I may make an adjustment and give Hinky a new version.

As for the edges there is for sure one copy in a scene from the movie that exhibits silver gilded edges. (The Gryffindor common room, where they pass the book around Harry.) I've reviewed it several times and it's definitely reflecting the light quite strongly. I've noticed there are some close ups of the cover in a couple of scenes, and they are actually different in wear and texture.

Really great to have some notes of some of the props, thanks again!

Last edited:
@Luke, thank you very much for all that information. It's really amazing actually. I'm glad that I guessed the dimensions of my Potions book cover right haha! As for the color I've seen variations of it based on different photos, from various screenshots and promotional photos. There are a couple of photos where it's very purple in the film wizardry book (small pics), to subdued dirty purple, leaning towards brownish, and some that look more dark faded blue. With all the lighting situations and different copies of books, i'm certain there are several variations.

You're very welcome! I'm glad you liked it! As with every prop, especially one that get's used for promo purposes there are many different versions, each one just as "accurate" as the last! Plus there's lighting, the lighting at the exhibit is very neutral. And besides, my printer is totally going to screw up the colors, so I'll need to adjust them in photoshop anyway to get it right!

EDIT: but yes, you were VERY close (if not spot on) with the sizing, plus, as I said, I wasn't exact at all!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back