Harry Potter free paper props - all movies and more!

bfd-
Another great Weasley product!!! Thank you so much for bringing it us :)

ecl-
A while ago I made a Weasley Whiz-bang rocket I was working on for a project. I needed a more narrow tube and I found that Aluminum Foil and Plastic Wrap generally has a very sturdy tube that the product is wrapped around. That is what I used for my rocket :)

I thought people might be interested in seeing this. I printed out BFD's really nice looking Unfogging the Future file, and found a discounted book at Barne's and Noble (subject is about the United States) that proportionally looked very close to the one in the artwork. This book is about 6" x 8.5". Standard hardcover.

I spray painted a sheet of 11"x17" paper with silver spray paint, and then made a copy directly on it. I also added in 2" flaps to the graphic that would wrap around the covers. From one of the references, it looks like it might have a kind of metallic sheen to it, so I was trying to replicate that! I'm happy with the way it turned out, and thanks again to BFD for offering this awesome replica :D

Not the greatest photos (Iphone), but here it is!

R2tHVI.jpg

zxNq99.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ecl-
LOVE the way your book turned out!! What type of paper did you use? I never thought of spray painting the paper silver but it looks like it worked pretty well.:)

Wow! Great job ecl for the book and Barneyrfd for the file.

That's an amazing replica! Did you just use regular spray paint or was it a special type? Also, would it be possible for you to share your file with the flaps? If it's ok with Barney since it's his original file.

Wow! Great job @ecl for the book and @Barneyrfd for the file.

That's an amazing replica! Did you just use regular spray paint or was it a special type? Also, would it be possible for you to share your file with the flaps? If it's ok with Barney since it's his original file.

Don't think you need a special file from ecl to printout the cover with flaps knr. Just print centered onto legal size (8.5 x 11) or ledger size (11 x 17) paper and when you cut out the cover leave an extra 2 inches (or more if you like) on ether end. That's it...simple.

bfd

Yea, all you need is to just leave space for the flaps when you cut it! As for spraying, I used some duplicolor silver colored paint that I had on hand here. I like these paints because they spray on thin, and don't made the paper wet. It was just average 11x17 copy paper. Nothing special, but it works just fine as a slipcover!

This is gotten me interested in hopefully printing out more book replicas :D

Barneyrfd It's amazing how much more sense things make when other people say them. Lol. I kept thinking that but for some reason it wasn't clicking in my head to just print it onto a larger sheet. Thanks
ecl Thanks!

Here's something I started today. I was able to clean up a photo "Monkeyseb" took of the Advanced Run book during his visit to the UK Potter studio tour. I've always wanted to make a replica of this book! From what I can tell, it's very small, so I sized it to be 4" wide. It's going to take a while to cut all the pages, but I'm going to find a way to bind them afterwards. It's a pretty thick book, so it's going to take a while. Unfortunately I have no idea what the back cover looks like, or if it's even been revealed before! Will have to make something up.

TgJn0Z.jpg

4AO2i0.jpg

8UbMuc.jpg

qh8Q3K.jpg

I'll post a file that I cleaned up and sized after this is done eventually!

ecl,
Your work is inspired :love Please show updates of your progress.
PS LOVE your cutting mat. It is very well used and has lots of character. Oh the stories it could tell of projects that have been made on it :)

Another fine piece of work ec!! Nicely crafted. I agree with you about the size, I think its a smaller book as well. I've never seen the back of this book either but I'm going to suggest that given it's shape, I don't think you could wrong with a duplicate of the front cover. I mean what else could you add?? Love to see these items come to life. You must have quite a library by now. I'll do my best to add to that library over the next while.

Totally agree with wooze about your cutting mat. It's almost a prop in itself...LOL Including it in your photos really adds that "craftsman" touch to it. I use a piece of glass to cut my stuff on but it is really hard on blades. Got to get a mat...

bfd

ps Wish the forum formatted messages so you could double space between sentences. Sounds a little whinny I know but everything just looks so run-on with single spacing.

Last edited:
bfd,
You can't go wrong with a cutting mat. I have one that I only use for fabrics and then one that anything goes LOL. I don't know how things are in Canada but here in the states we have AC Moore and Michael's craft stores and if you check their websites they will have coupons that you can print out. If you have patience, they will have 50% off coupons every now and then and that is usually when I go and pick up a mat :) They are well worth the money.

Hi Wooze. Thanks for the advice on the cutting mat. We do have Micheal's here in the Great White North and there is one within a bicycle ride of my house. I do use the 50% off coupons as well, (if the women don't find ya handsome, they should find ya thrifty...lol ) so as you suggest, I think I will invest my very own cutting mat.

@ecl I found this image of the Advanced Rune Translation book that shows the spine graphics and relative thickness. If the book is about 4" across the spine is about 1" thick. Also, looks like the bottom of the pages may be painted black...??

Advanced Runes Translation prop.jpg

I'll see if I can throw something together for it.

bfd

Thanks for the comments woozelmom and bfd! Yes that cutting mat has been with me for several years now. It's seen a lot of projects :D In my opinion, no table is complete without a cutting mat! :D I learned that after I used the surface of my old table itself as a cutting mat (probably out of laziness), so it's covered in grooved scratches, which made it pretty much useless for drawing on as it's so bumpy with the scratches haha!

bfd, that's a very nice reference shot. I also found that one not too long ago, and it's the only shot I've seen of the spine, but it's a great shot! I have some ideas as to how to put it all together, but it'll mainly be displayed closed. It'll be nice to get that gold foil on the cloth looking textured spine. I think this book is one of the more unique looking ones! As for the back cover, I may just repeat the front cover but delete the title and maybe add a few runes in the back. I'll post some files soon for others to use. It does look it may be possible the bottom is black? I wish there was another shot of the bottom. It does look like the cover edges are black as well (I darked the edges on my cover too).

It would be so amazing to see these in person on the tour, and even cooler to be able to examine them up close. But I'm really glad people are starting to take great photos of these props, as the references are much more plentiful now than ever before.

Last edited:
@bluebird, i have found it from a prop seller on ebay. he sells screen used props and this was one of them. i posted the link of it in my previous posts. one piece of it is about 600 pounds. so it is a really precious paper prop.
@TB-7021, you are welcome, anytime :)

omg i go just a few days and see what happens here!

great work ECL! unfogging the future idea is absolutely brilliant! it looks so professional. i want to try it also. i have a spray paint bottle for painting
metalic items. would it be OK to paint paper with that? what do you think? it is a metal painting spray.
btw i am glad that you are finally back in making book props again :love there will be lots of inspiration for us i am sure.
about advanced rune translation, it is also wonderful! yours look absolutely like original copy. thats what i call talent :)

once i have made a copy of it. here i show with the copy of the oracle of palombo (here i want to thank Barney again and again)
i have made it in a very little time, in a rush, so does not look so good but the good point is it looks so old that way :D it looks better from far away in the bundle of the other books lol :D

WP_20141030_001.jpgWP_20141030_002.jpgWP_20141030_003.jpgWP_20141030_004.jpg20140703_112823.jpg

Last edited:
Lynx those all look wonderful! Your Advanced Rune book looks amazing too, and the spine is very nicely done. As for spray painting paper, as long as you spray it in very light coats, and let it dry in between layers (if you spray it lightly, the paint will basically dry almost right away) it's no problem. Just don't spray too much at one time.

I've attached a file below of the Rune book that I used to print my cover with. After it was printed I did also age it a bit more.

View attachment advanced rune.pdf (It's basically a cleaned up photo of the one on display in the studio tour, so all the details are there :D)

I also made a few more pages today, it's slowly getting thicker!

0f9EKK.jpg

CVt19s.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good ec. Thanks for the file. If it's okay with you I'll use it to add the spine and back cover to and repost??

Also, here's a whacky idea...what if the ART covers formed a box with flash cards inside them instead of a conventional book? Too far outside the box??

bfd

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back