Fatboyeats21

Hey everyone,

This is my first post but I wanted to share my project with all of you. Last year I took a draping and drafting class at my university and got to choose my final project. I really wanted to do something Back to the Future (because its by far my favorite movie of all time). I wanted to make Marty's jacket from Back to the Future. I was told that might be a little too ambitious to finish by the end of the semester so I settled on making Marty's cowboy shirt from Part III (Ill post that when I'm completely done) and that I would make the jacket in my own free time (which was very little because I worked two jobs every semester during college on top of being a Theatre Tech student).

To give some background on me, I was taught to sew when I was very little and have been crafting since I could use scotch tape and cardboard.
One of my biggest project interests is Marty's jacket from Back to the Future. Theres so little information about it and the story behind it is fantastic! I've been researching Marty's jacket for probably 14 years now, downloading pictures, scouring thrift sites and eBay for it, and whatever knowledge I could I would download and file on my computers. I finally said enough is enough and made it myself.

First I used my sewing knowledge and new pattern-making skills to come up with a much simpler way of making my own denim jacket.
I found a cheap denim jacket on AliExpress:
IMG_8621.JPEG
IMG_8617.PNG
(Thats not me, this was from a review)

This was essentially the shape and pocket type that I was looking for, all I needed to do was add snaps, replace the collar and pocket flaps with blue denim, and add the shoulder yokes.

So I got to work taking apart only what I needed to, sleeves, collar, pockets, and the shoulder area (I don't have many pictures of the process)

IMG_8877.JPEG
IMG_8894.JPEG
IMG_9108.JPEG
IMG_9111.JPEG
(I ended up adding a strip of denim around the pockets to make it more accurate.)

This is the progress of half the jacket all pinned:

IMG_9121.JPEG
IMG_9125.JPEG

I added vents in the back of the jacket, snaps, a waistband, and the paisley cuff on the inside. (Ill post more pictures if people are interested and I have some time home, but unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the final product of this jacket.

I brought the finished modified jacket to my Costuming professor and they were blown away. She loved how I did everything and the way it looked and how close I got to the movie. But it didn't stop there. I knew I could do better. Using this experience as a trial run, I bought the same jacket I did previously, and completely took it apart. From there, I made a paper pattern of each piece and marked how everything went. I ordered black and faded light blue denim and more high-quality snaps.

As soon as the fabric came in, it was cut. (rookie mistake not washing the fabric before cutting. It was fine :cool:)

Because I was so excited, (and completely burnt out from school) I didn't take pictures of the process and I'm really sorry, I know that is what people love to see. (I might make another jacket, a little bit bigger, in the future!)

This is it before I added the details:

IMG_9670.JPEG
IMG_9674.JPEG
IMG_9676.JPEG
IMG_9679.JPEG
IMG_9695.JPEG
IMG_9699.JPEG
IMG_9702.JPEG
IMG_9718.JPEG

So next I added the snaps:
IMG_9736.JPEG
IMG_9739.JPEG
(my baby Daisy helped with a lot of the process, you can see her whiskers in that last one!)

Last but not least, I lined the inside and then soaked the jacket MULTIPLE times in lemon water with a little bit of bleach and let it sit in the sun for MULTIPLE days, the pictures in the costume shop make it look a little darker:

IMG-9835.jpg
IMG-9843.jpg

And here's some pictures of me at Boston Comic Con in 2022!

IMG_0223.JPEG
IMG_9850.JPG
IMG_9974.JPG
IMG_9976.JPG
IMG_9854.JPG

I made my final jacket in about two weeks. I did this all in a tiny student apartment on campus whenever I could. I was extremely exhausted, fuled by meds and coffee during this process and there's many things I want to improve on when I make my second one. I know its not "100%" accurate but I love how close I got and how I followed through and didn't give up during my first jacket. I did this all on my Singer Heavy Duty sewing machine (I cant belive it worked with so many layers of denim!)

Let me know if anyone has any questions or if I posted this in the wrong spot!

Hey everyone,

This is my first post but I wanted to share my project with all of you. Last year I took a draping and drafting class at my university and got to choose my final project. I really wanted to do something Back to the Future (because its by far my favorite movie of all time). I wanted to make Marty's jacket from Back to the Future. I was told that might be a little too ambitious to finish by the end of the semester so I settled on making Marty's cowboy shirt from Part III (Ill post that when I'm completely done) and that I would make the jacket in my own free time (which was very little because I worked two jobs every semester during college on top of being a Theatre Tech student).

To give some background on me, I was taught to sew when I was very little and have been crafting since I could use scotch tape and cardboard.
One of my biggest project interests is Marty's jacket from Back to the Future. Theres so little information about it and the story behind it is fantastic! I've been researching Marty's jacket for probably 14 years now, downloading pictures, scouring thrift sites and eBay for it, and whatever knowledge I could I would download and file on my computers. I finally said enough is enough and made it myself.

First I used my sewing knowledge and new pattern-making skills to come up with a much simpler way of making my own denim jacket.
I found a cheap denim jacket on AliExpress:
View attachment 1683239View attachment 1683241 (Thats not me, this was from a review)

This was essentially the shape and pocket type that I was looking for, all I needed to do was add snaps, replace the collar and pocket flaps with blue denim, and add the shoulder yokes.

So I got to work taking apart only what I needed to, sleeves, collar, pockets, and the shoulder area (I don't have many pictures of the process)

View attachment 1683245View attachment 1683247View attachment 1683243View attachment 1683244(I ended up adding a strip of denim around the pockets to make it more accurate.)

This is the progress of half the jacket all pinned:

View attachment 1683249View attachment 1683254
I added vents in the back of the jacket, snaps, a waistband, and the paisley cuff on the inside. (Ill post more pictures if people are interested and I have some time home, but unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the final product of this jacket.

I brought the finished modified jacket to my Costuming professor and they were blown away. She loved how I did everything and the way it looked and how close I got to the movie. But it didn't stop there. I knew I could do better. Using this experience as a trial run, I bought the same jacket I did previously, and completely took it apart. From there, I made a paper pattern of each piece and marked how everything went. I ordered black and faded light blue denim and more high-quality snaps.

As soon as the fabric came in, it was cut. (rookie mistake not washing the fabric before cutting. It was fine :cool:)

Because I was so excited, (and completely burnt out from school) I didn't take pictures of the process and I'm really sorry, I know that is what people love to see. (I might make another jacket, a little bit bigger, in the future!)

This is it before I added the details:

View attachment 1683255View attachment 1683256View attachment 1683258View attachment 1683259View attachment 1683260View attachment 1683261View attachment 1683262View attachment 1683264

So next I added the snaps:
View attachment 1683265View attachment 1683266(my baby Daisy helped with a lot of the process, you can see her whiskers in that last one!)

Last but not least, I lined the inside and then soaked the jacket MULTIPLE times in lemon water with a little bit of bleach and let it sit in the sun for MULTIPLE days, the pictures in the costume shop make it look a little darker:

View attachment 1683270View attachment 1683274

And here's some pictures of me at Boston Comic Con in 2022!

View attachment 1683277View attachment 1683278View attachment 1683281View attachment 1683280View attachment 1683279

I made my final jacket in about two weeks. I did this all in a tiny student apartment on campus whenever I could. I was extremely exhausted, fuled by meds and coffee during this process and there's many things I want to improve on when I make my second one. I know its not "100%" accurate but I love how close I got and how I followed through and didn't give up during my first jacket. I did this all on my Singer Heavy Duty sewing machine (I cant belive it worked with so many layers of denim!)

Let me know if anyone has any questions or if I posted this in the wrong spot!
Buy the shah safari checkered shirt and you're good to go!

Buy the shah safari checkered shirt and you're good to go!
I think I'm going to order fabric from Spoonflower and make my own sometime soon!

I'm actually in the early process of making another jacket because I have a new idea! It never ends :rolleyes:

I just ordered a jacket that I'm going to take apart, make a pattern/alter the pattern. I'm going to be taking LOTS of pictures this time! :D Stuff should be in this week!

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
Paisley.png
Black Chambray.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back