Han Solo Holster - Screen Accurate Pattern

I have mine hanging on the wall. Stand by while I find the pic...
1110181807.jpg

Does anyone have a photo of the holster displayed on a shelf? I like the idea of having a belt on display with my live fire DL44 but am having a hard time envisioning it sitting on a shelf.

I have mine with the belt portion laying on the top of a shelf and the holster just "dangles" off the side, albeit sans blaster. Those are all on Stands in their own "cubbie" on the shelf. I'll see if I can find a pic and update my post later.

I want to tell you that I have read the 20 pages of this wonderful post.
Although I do not speak English very well, thanks to the google translator I could understand all your comments very well.
As soon as I have progress from the Han Solo holster, I will share some photos.
Greetings to all, thanks for sharing your knowledge and passion for Han Solo and may the force be with you always.

I may have missed this in the thread, but I am looking for dimensions on the buckle and other metal parts. And, now that I think about it, dimensions on the rest of the belt as well. I mean, obviously I can do the waist measurement (its about 150 feet - bloody Christmas dinner!) but the other measurements (or even the relative ratios) of the rest of the elements would be handy.

I may have missed this in the thread, but I am looking for dimensions on the buckle and other metal parts. And, now that I think about it, dimensions on the rest of the belt as well. I mean, obviously I can do the waist measurement (its about 150 feet - bloody Christmas dinner!) but the other measurements (or even the relative ratios) of the rest of the elements would be handy.

take a look in the first few pages again, he has sample templates, but they are attachments at the bottom of the post and not pictures like people do during build posts!

Hello Everyone,

For some time now I have wanted to create a close to screen accurate as possible Han Solo costume. I figured a good a place as any to start would be the holster.

The problem is that while there are some options out there, and some tutorials, none of them really seem to be as screen accurate as I would like. Or, if they are, they are way more pricy than I would like to pay. Either way, I could purchase one and be done with it, but as a former make-up FX / prop artist, I just can't justify buying what I am pretty sure I can make...and well, making it is the funnest part in my opinion.

For a while now I have been looking for a place to start. Naturally the best place would be a pattern. Unfortunately patterns seem to be very rare, and those that are out there seem to be based off of already inaccurate holsters.

My goal, is to create the most accurate holster pattern possible, and then go on to create the actual holster. This thread will focus only on the pattern, and I will link to another thread when I start building the real thing. So, that said, lets get started.

Goals:

To create the most accurate ESB Holster possible.
To end up with a printable pattern that I can make available to everyone.
Expand the pattern at a later date to include ANH and RotJ.

Expectations/Desires:

I am here to create the most accurate holster pattern possible, not stroke my ego, or feel warm and fuzzy. When I ask for feedback, I want it as honest as possible. Don't worry at all about hurting my feelings. The only way something is going to get done right, is if we can all agree that you don't have to hold back, or spare my feelings.

I want every and all thoughts, evidence, and feelings you can come up with.I come from a well known Indiana Jones forum, and so I am used to people presenting every little bit of info they think is right. I am willing to entertain any idea supported by evidence.

I don't want to abandon this project. To many half finished links are floating around out there, and it is super frustrating for someone who thinks they've hit the right trail, only to find a dead link, or abandoned post.

Timeline:

I am really hoping to go as Han Solo for the Calgary Comic Expo at the end of April. So, my timeline for this project is quite quick. I would like to have the pattern done in no more than a month and a half.

Version 1.0:

Ok, so after that super long intro, here is where I am at. Most of the layers are hidden to avoid confusion, but what I am concentrating on right now is getting the "Y" piece and the holster accurate. I have added in a 1:1 scale ESP DL-44 for reference.

The main problems I'm having are that I can't seem to figure out the proper shape for the holster, and the "Y" piece. Having started with a 2" belt, I have built everything around that idea. This is the best measurement I can guess based on the many photos.
View attachment 426786

So, what do you guys think?
Hey Gang... OK... So It APPEARS that I have NOW Gone COMPLETELY Down the "HAN SOLO RABBIT HOLE"... and NOW I need the ENTIRE Gun Holster Belt Pattern!

Does ANYONE Have a PDF File or SOMETHING Showing the EXACT Measurements for the Holster, and Belt Parts?

Thanks.

Joe

What about a down loadable "Pattern" for the Leather Work for the Holster and Belts?
If it had ALL of the Accurate Measurements, Lengths, Widths, Etc. THAT would be even BETTER!

I can't seem to find ANYTHING Like that on the Internet?! :(

Joe

Smugglers Holster

v 1.0

Hey Everyone. I just wanted to make a quick update since I've been getting a few PM's and such.

Without going into too much detail, I have had a bit of a family crisis...well two actually. While things aren't resolved, it is definitely getting better.

I figured I would post this so you could see that things are close...so close. View attachment 892193

View attachment 892194

I am going to start focusing on this again in the next few days. So stay tuned.
How or Where do I down load this Pattern Guild? Or is it for sale or what?

I recently finished my guide and had them printed! Got a few tiny adjustments to make to the ESB and Jedi versions, but I have them up on my etsy shop (not sure I am allowed to post that here so I won't!)

This version is made for a stitched pouch belt, but you could always modify that.

This is for the leather portions only, as a lot of different folks make hardware, and they are all different.
Pretty cool!

I wish you hadn’t called it the Smugglers Holster though. Not that you have any loyalties to me, but it would be cool if it had a different name. *Shrugs*

Last edited:
Pretty cool!

I wish you hadn’t called it the Smugglers Holster though. Not that you have any loyalties to me, but it would be cool if is had a different name. *Shrugs*
Not meaning to step on any toes, but I've been using smuggler for my etsy listing titles for several years now

I recently finished my guide and had them printed! Got a few tiny adjustments to make to the ESB and Jedi versions, but I have them up on my etsy shop (not sure I am allowed to post that here so I won't!)

This version is made for a stitched pouch belt, but you could always modify that.

This is for the leather portions only, as a lot of different folks make hardware, and they are all different. View attachment 1415290
I can't find it or you on Etsy....

I suppose since I've slithered out of the swamps of Dagobah, I should give a little update-- *ducks*

Ya, ya, I know!!

You may not believe this, but this pattern referred to quite often in my house. At least twice a month I walk around my home ranting about not getting projects done, or how I have so much to do and my wife will always say, "Like your holster pattern?" My best friend also throws it in my face a few times a year whenever I am complaining about things not getting done.

So... why isn't it done? I started this thing in like 2015, you would think that would be enough time to finish it by now, and... you're right.

The truth is that I have been mad procrastinating on it.

Part of the reason is that when I realized a major development I also realized that my 99% completed book was now 70% inaccurate. That bummed me out super bad. Having to go back and redo all that work for that one thing was a daunting task. The other reason is that about two years ago I had a computer upgrade and... I know what you think I'm going to say... no, I didn't lose any work. On the contrary, duplicates of the same file folders and backup folders became combined into a single folder.

This means I have four or five versions of every file in a single folder that is gigabytes. I've been trying to chip away at it, but it is also a daunting task.

Finally, remember how I was trying to find someone to 3D model some stuff? Well, after going through four people I became frustrated with the process. I was asking for a level of accuracy that they weren't willing to do on the budget I had... which was very little.

Yes, let me clear up a few FAQ for those who come across this post.

Q. Where can I download the pattern?

A. You can't.

I have not yet completed it. It is close, but there is no release date at this time. If you are looking for a pattern, check out Egon's Etsy shop. He has a few patterns for sale. I can't speak to the accuracy though as I have not seen the final product.

Q. Are you even still working on this?

A. Yes! And... kinda. It is honestly on the back of my mind often. It is something that I want to finish very badly, but I just have to get motivated to do it. For the last year I've been working 12 hour days on a graphic novel, so there hasn't been a lot of time, but I have been planning on dedicating a day per week to finishing it up.

Q. Will it still be free?

A. Yes. It will always be free.

Q. Are you honestly working on it?

A.
Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 8.04.59 PM.png

Yes. I am honestly working on it. See that PDF in there? (this is the mess I have to deal with... you don't even want to see the Pandora's box behind each of those folders.

Q. How can I help?

A. If you genuinely want to help, the best thing you can do is honestly just keep posting here and encouraging me. I feel enormous amounts of guilt and shame for not completing this project, so if I know people are out there and they're still interested it will motivate me to keep pushing through.

Q. How close is it, honestly... no lies.

A. It is about 60% complete. Large parts of the book/information need to be re-written to reflect the new information that was found. The patterns need slight adjusting to reflect this as well. The artwork is a day or so from being completed, and I just have to go through a final round and make sure that everyone that deserves a shoutout is properly acknowledged.

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 8.10.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 8.15.09 PM.png

I appreciate the patience and help from everyone. I dread every single day that someone is going to beat me to the punch and this will be one of those things I look back on and regret. But, hopefully this year will be the year I get it into your hot little Hans, and we can all look back and laugh at how much I sucked.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back