Han Solo Holster - Screen Accurate Pattern

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Crazylegsmurphy, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Crazylegsmurphy

Crazylegsmurphy Active Member

Hello Everyone,

For some time now I have wanted to create a close to screen accurate as possible Han Solo costume. I figured a good a place as any to start would be the holster.

The problem is that while there are some options out there, and some tutorials, none of them really seem to be as screen accurate as I would like. Or, if they are, they are way more pricy than I would like to pay. Either way, I could purchase one and be done with it, but as a former make-up FX / prop artist, I just can't justify buying what I am pretty sure I can make...and well, making it is the funnest part in my opinion.

For a while now I have been looking for a place to start. Naturally the best place would be a pattern. Unfortunately patterns seem to be very rare, and those that are out there seem to be based off of already inaccurate holsters.

My goal, is to create the most accurate holster pattern possible, and then go on to create the actual holster. This thread will focus only on the pattern, and I will link to another thread when I start building the real thing. So, that said, lets get started.

Goals:

To create the most accurate ESB Holster possible.
    To end up with a printable pattern that I can make available to everyone.
    Expand the pattern at a later date to include ANH and RotJ.

Expectations/Desires:

I am here to create the most accurate holster pattern possible, not stroke my ego, or feel warm and fuzzy. When I ask for feedback, I want it as honest as possible. Don't worry at all about hurting my feelings. The only way something is going to get done right, is if we can all agree that you don't have to hold back, or spare my feelings.

I want every and all thoughts, evidence, and feelings you can come up with.I come from a well known Indiana Jones forum, and so I am used to people presenting every little bit of info they think is right. I am willing to entertain any idea supported by evidence.

I don't want to abandon this project. To many half finished links are floating around out there, and it is super frustrating for someone who thinks they've hit the right trail, only to find a dead link, or abandoned post.

Timeline:

I am really hoping to go as Han Solo for the Calgary Comic Expo at the end of April. So, my timeline for this project is quite quick. I would like to have the pattern done in no more than a month and a half.

Version 1.0:

Ok, so after that super long intro, here is where I am at. Most of the layers are hidden to avoid confusion, but what I am concentrating on right now is getting the "Y" piece and the holster accurate. I have added in a 1:1 scale ESP DL-44 for reference.

The main problems I'm having are that I can't seem to figure out the proper shape for the holster, and the "Y" piece. Having started with a 2" belt, I have built everything around that idea. This is the best measurement I can guess based on the many photos.
    Star-Wars---Han-Solo---Holster.png

So, what do you guys think?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    bearded likes this.
  2. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

looks good! excited about this!

3. Crazylegsmurphy

Thanks. I was working on it today, and something feels wrong. The distance between the top curve and the bottom of the gun feels way too long. I think my "Y" piece may be completely wrong.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  4. Crazylegsmurphy

Buckles:

These have been a bit of a pain. The reason is that I'm not entirely convinced that the way things have been done up to this point, is totally correct. Let me explain.

If you look at any ESB holster you will notice that almost all people tend to mount the belt horizontal to the front buckle (opposed to angled like the ANH version). However, after carefully looking thought all of Empire, and taking screen grabs, it appears that the belt sits at an angle as well. However, this doesn't happen in every scene and sometimes it appears to be straight.

This says to me that the belts are able to pivot under the buckle. The question then is, are they, and if so...how?

My girlfriend an I spent a good hour or so going through various screen grabs, and she has a good point. If the belt is able to pivot, perhaps it is built in a way that allows for all three belts (hip and "Y") to move. This also makes me wonder about the ANH version as well, and whether it was built with fixed angles, or allowed to pivot as well.

I have been working, and reworking the patterns in an attempt to come up with something that is screen accurate as far as possible, but also practical for wearing all day. I have borrowed some ideas from around the web, and altered them in a way that I think works better. Lets take a look.

Star-Wars---Han-Solo---Holster---Buckles.png

So what I have done is.

On the left are the raw patterns. As I work though these and make sure the measurements are correct, I am pulling them over to the right, and "building" them. This is allowing me to check proportions and sizes against everything else to assure they are as close as possible to the reference photos I have. If you look at the right, you'll see I have been taking some creative liberties as there is really no way I can know exactly what things look like under the buckles.

I do know that on the screen used one, they just welded bars to the inside on the back buckle and looped the leather around. I will add this as an option, but I personally think the more "modern" attachment method allows for more comfort (see top right)

The questions I am trying to answer are:

1. Did the ESB front buckle allow the belts to pivot
    2. If so, how was it designed?
    3. Is there a more practical way of designing the buckle attachments, while staying as visually accurate as possible?

Screen Cap from ESB, as evidence for a "v" front.

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 7.42.03 AM.png

What I have done is attach the "Y" belt, and the right hip belt via a middle "pin". Then, I have attached another pivoting part with a loop for the left hip belt to attach. This keeps the original look from the outside, but still allows the belts to move, to allow for that "v" shape in the front. It also creates a nice flat part on the back of the buckle, to avoid rips, pinches, or any other annoyances.

Thoughts?

5. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Interesting. I am pretty new to solo, but it seems that most people mount them straight because of the reversed buckles vs ANH. I am not sure, but I think the weight of the blaster pulls the belt down a bit to make the "v" shape when the belt is up on your hip.

The templates are coming along really well though. I'm really excited to see them!

6. Crazylegsmurphy

Hey Egon,

First, I wanted to say thanks for participating in this thread. Strangely, I'm not getting a lot of interest it seems, which makes this a lot harder, but it is encouraging and nice to know someone out there is getting something out of this. :D

I was reading a lot of threads on this, and other forums about the weight pulling on the belt. While I am sure this contributes to the "V" to some degree, when I look at the photo of Han above, something really says to me that the angle of the clasp couldn't be achieved if it were just straight.

In my brain, the explanation is one of the following:

1. There is a pivoting clasp allowing the belt to move
    2. The clasps were welded at an angle
    3. The belt is being pulled down, which is causing the clasp to not sit flush. This is a bit hard to explain.

I have seen about four methods online for creating this. I'm not sure which one is closest. I'll have to think on it. :)

7. Crazylegsmurphy

Just a quick update.

I have been working on the pouches. I think I have got them mostly correct. I decided to do a paper mockup of one of them to test how it might feel for size, shape, and construction. I think it worked out well, but I am concerned that the corners on the front flap aren't exactly the right shape.

I'm also not sure what effect the thickness of the leather will have on some of the pattern pieces. For example, I'm not sure you could actually put this together in the same way as the paper version due to the thickness of the leather getting in the way. I will have to test it and see. It would be a fairly minor adjustment, as I would just have to add in the thickness on the pattern.

What do you guys think?

Star-Wars---Han-Solo---Holster---Paper.jpg

8. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

9. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Perhaps the buckle had a pivot point that the straps connected to, rather than a fixed position. That would allow for better movement

10. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

ataru72ita likes this.
  11. Crazylegsmurphy

I didn't see those specific ones, but I have seen a similar design through an online vendor.

It does solve the issue of the "V" but I have a few concerns with that design. Now, I'm not saying that this wasn't the way it was done on the original, but to me, this fixed position system doesn't seem to allow for the range of movement I think I might be seeing in the movies as Han walks around.

It is a viable option though, and I can see this simple solution being used by a costume designer.

12. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Are there any new useful pictures in the new book about STAR WARS Costumes that so many members received for Christmas? If so perhaps they can shed some lights on the design pattern?

Chaim

13. Crazylegsmurphy

I was thinking of picking it up simply because it looks awesome. On the review page of Amazon, there was someone who did a video flip through, and it happen to land on this page.

Star Wars Costumes.png

14. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

The book is really beautiful. If you can swing the cash, definitely pick it up.

I won't post photos of the that page, because they aren't mine to post - but - looking at the photos, it appears that perhaps both buckles have the angled "v" to them as they are both the "same" design. Front and back, they both look to have an angle to them.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  15. Crazylegsmurphy

Thanks for taking a look, Egon.

I'm going to upload a photo with the three design options shortly. I will most likely leave all three in the pattern, but I'll weigh in on what I think was actually done in my next post.

16. Crazylegsmurphy

Ok, update time. :)

Pouches

It took me a bit to get these correct, due to the fact that most of it was guess work. That is, until I found a great high quality scan of the "Greeblie" which allowed me to then go back and adjust all the pouches to the correct size. I think that I pretty much have them as accurate as they can be, even down to the stitching.

That said, there are a few things that I think could use confirmation. Lets take a look.

StarWars-HanSolo-Holster-Pouches.png

The only thing that I would like to get confirmed is what the round "Greeblie" is, and what it's radius is. That would allow me to put it into the plans so that we could find a pipe or round object of equal size to form the pouch around.

The only other thing that I need to confirm is the affect the leather thickness has on these patterns. For example, on the left I did another version of the pouch because as you can see in my paper version, I'm not sure it would actually work if the thickness of the leather was in the way.

Of course....I invite you guys to tear it apart. If you think something is wrong, let me know.

Buckles

Ok, this is probably the most difficult part of this project.

After staring at photo after photo, I have determined that the most screen accurate version is simply two bars welded horizontally and a grooved "Y" piece. The reason is that I just don't see a prop/costume designer spending more time than needed. In the one image I have, the back buckle shows these bars, and so I have to conclude it must have been done the same way.

I have also concluded that the left and right "hooks" are not the same in shape, or size. There are too many images where the left hook is angled, and the right is straight.

Patterns

StarWars-HanSolo-Holster-Buckles.png

Here are the raw patterns.

I have basically added in three/four options. As I said, I think the screen accurate version is the two vertical bars, with the grooved "Y" connector. One thing to note, most people seem to agree that the buckle for the front is 2 inches (same as the belt). I'm not convinced at all. After building these, the buckle looked too small. It also looked larger than the belts on almost every single photo I looked at.

I eventually concluded it is basically the same height as the back buckle. Once I adjusted the size, it felt way more accurate, but please let me know your thoughts.

Front

StarWars-HanSolo-Holster-Buckles-Front.png

The image on the far left is what I think is most accurate.

The middle allows for all three connections to pivot around the centre. Other than the issue that this might cause the buckle to spin, I really like this solution for comfort. The right version uses a combination of fixed and the loops. I have seen this in a few versions online and I have to say I don't like it for the reason that it doesn't allow the "Y" connector to sit in front of the belts.

Back

StarWars-HanSolo-Holster-Buckles-Back.png

Again, I think the left is the most accurate. The middle is the more common, and probably more comfortable solution.

The right image is a fixed angle for the ANH version. This again has the issue that the belt and "Y" connection are in the wrong places, which I personally don't like.

Thoughts

I have basically taken a few known solutions I've been able to find on the net (and just cleaned up the patterns, and made sure they were accurate for size/shape). The one solution I didn't do was the one where two tabs are bent up. This is basically an updated version of the two vertical bars. I'm not sure what I think about that version yet. I may add it though.

I personally think I'm getting close, but I have also be looking at this thing for hours. I look forward to a fresh set of eyes.

One last thing. It turns out that the Museum in Seattle is currently setting up for the Star Wars costume exhibit. I sent off an email today to them asking very, very politely if they could either take a photo of the back of the buckle, or at least let me know which of the designs above most closely represent how it is built. If I hear anything back, I'll be sure to post it.

And with that, I open it to you guys to pick these apart.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    ataru72ita likes this.
  17. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Your attachments are not working ... please adjust :)

Chaim

18. Crazylegsmurphy

Sorry about that. This forums logout time is a tad too short. :D

19. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

What do you mean by that? I'm logged in permanently ... even when I sleep and my mac is in snooze mode ;) Pictures seem to work fine now :) Great patterns! All to easy now for those following in your footsteps :wacko

Chaim

20. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Looking good! Really exciting to watch this develop!

21. spoudastis

spoudastis Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It it looks like you are doing some really in depth work on this. I wouldn't say that there is little interest, there are a lot of views, I think it's just that very few people have looked into this as extensively as you and as such have little to constructively add other than "looks good, keep going". I'm very interested to see how you develop this and how you are able to innovate, and improve on what's been done already. Very noble that you would be willing to share this excellent work with the community.

22. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Totally agree. This has been on my ever growing to-do list, and I have just never had the time. Now, thanks to you, I may actually get to it at some point.

23. Crazylegsmurphy

Thanks guys!

It is nice to know that people are keeping an eye on this. I'm having a blast making this, so either way it is worth it, but I'm happy that it is raising some eyebrows.

ESB Holster
    v 1.0

Buckles: Updated

Yesterday a user sent me some high resolution photos they took of the ANH version (I will post if I get permission).

The images are the best I have seen showing the back of the ANH buckle, and they really helped me redesign the hooks and "Y" connector. Seeing them so close and in such detail allowed me to actually draw right on top of them as a base shape.

StarWars-HanSolo-Holster-Buckles-1.png

Change Log:

- Created new shaped for the left and right hooks

- Added bevel to the front and back buckles

- Completely redesigned the "Y" connector to better represent size, shape, and position.

- Adjusted the rivet sizes

- Adjusted the size of the ESB straight hook

Thoughts

Based on the new information, I think I have come very close to nailing the ANH version of the buckle. The only thing I was not really able to determine was whether the fixed loop was angled or not.

I opted to make it angled as it seemed that the hook was sitting basically straight on the fixed loop.

What I'm still not sure about is on the ESB version, and what is happening with the right hook (looking from back of buckle). From the images I have available, it does seem to curve down like the ANH version, but not to the same extreme angle.

The thing that does look strange to me is that the curve of the angle does seem to match the same angle as the ANH version. This makes me wonder if they just reused the same pattern?

StarWars-HanSolo-ESB-Reference-1.png

You can see in this that it does seem to curve at a similar angle. It even looks like you can see the other side of the hook slightly above the buckle. This is very curious to me.

I added in the ANH version to the image above to see how it looks...it is very curious I think.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  24. spoudastis

This is some seriously awesome work, the attention to detail is incredible. I have nothing of value to add but it looks like you are on your way to creating some very accurate replicas. My dad and brother work with leather and I'm sure they would love a go at this prop.

25. Crazylegsmurphy

ESB Holster
    v 1.0

I dun goofed! :D

... I think.

So, I was going along organizing layers and cleaning up the file, when something started gnawing at me like a Mynock on a power cable.

I decided to superimpose the buckle and hooks on top of one of the new images provided. After adjusting angles and such, I realized that my buckle seems to be the totally wrong size/shape.

StarWars-HanSolo-Holster-Buckles-ANH-Error-1.jpg

Now, I realize there is some lens distortion, and that some of the parts are in perspective, but I think that it is pretty clear that my buckle is not correct.

I am going to adjust it, but before I do, I figured I would post it here and see if you guys had any thoughts?

Thanks!

It would be great to have some leather workers take a look at this to make sure my patterns are leather compatible. I suspect I'll be going through some test pieces of leather only to realize parts of the pattern don't work well when the thickness is factored in.

26. Crazylegsmurphy

ESB Holster
    v 1.0

Well, three hours later and I think I've fixed the buckle, and a bunch of other little nitpicks.

StarWars-HanSolo-Holster-Buckles-2.png

I think the most frustrating and interesting part is how one small change can have a knock-on effect for the rest of the parts. Once I resized the buckle, I realized that the hooks were going to sit differently. It has also been challenging trying to figure out what is happening under the buckle. As you can see from the image above, it seems like a drunken party behind the buckle where everything is attaching all willy-nilly.

I've stared at these buckles and tweaked them to the point where I am confident they are almost 100%. There are a few super small questions I have, and I am hoping they might get solved if the museum gets back to me, but I can't see how I can make this any more accurate with the resources I have available to me.

That's not to say I don't invite you guys to tear it apart. If you can find flaws, or mistakes, by all means let me know.

...On to the belt. :D

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  27. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

That looks spot on ... and yeah as for the 'drunken party backstage' ... the propmakers were under much stress to deliver many props in the nick of time for production, so most are cobbled together and function good enough for those seconds on screen ... although I suppose these leather parts could withstand some strain and heavy use. Looking forward to your progress :)

Chaim

28. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

This is excellent excellent work! I wouldn't say that there is little interest, it's just that you are doing so much work that no one else can really contribute! hah!

Super pumped for this. I am commissioning one of these soon and this will ensure great results!

29. Entropy

Entropy Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

IMG_0857.JPG IMG_0853.JPG IMG_0854.JPG IMG_0855.JPG IMG_0856.JPG

Don't know if these will help you or not. I took these when the Star Wars exhibit was in Chicago in 2007.

bearded likes this.
  30. spoudastis

Crazylegsmurphy, this is what my dad had to say after looking at a pic of the leather,

"I would recommend a latigo leather, pre dyed. Pre dyed leather won't fade much. A medium brown color. Tanneries all have different names for the colors they offer so he'll have to make a choice there. The thickness is given in ounces. This looks like 8-9 oz., about 1/8 of an inch thick. Your example is hand sewn. Go on the internet for a "how to" tutorial. The key here is making a good pattern. VERY important."

31. spoudastis

Also, for your pouch patterns you might try 1/8" foam from michals or similar craft store in order to account for the thickness of leather.

32. Crazylegsmurphy

Thanks, Sym-Cha.

Oh, I remember when I was working in the industry...man, the things we did to cut corners. It sucks too, because being super into costumes and props, I always had the best intentions to document everything so if the thing I was working on became really loved, I would have the answers to the questions people might ask. Unfortunately this is so hard in reality. I often said, "Ok, I don't have time this second, but I'll go back and document it when it's done...for sure!"

Then, the next job comes in, and that is that....:D

Thanks, Egon.

It is taking a lot of hours, but I suppose that is a perk of working for yourself that I can just take some time and work on this. I really hope that the final pattern makes your holster something you really love.

Entropy, yes!

I had some of those, but not in high res. It is bitter sweet because it is great to have them, but at the same time the second I open them I realize all the little details I have wrong. I appreciate the images though, they helped a lot.

Thank your dad for me. :p

I'll look into that for sure when I get around to actually making this. I also figured it was 8-9 oz. I grabbed the standard leather thickness chart from Tandy Leather and have been using it to add it to the pattern where I think it is needed. I watched something like 20 "how to" tutorials on leather last night. Everything from pattern making, holster making, sewing, cutting, choosing, etc.

I'm very hopeful these patterns will work.

That is a great idea!

I'll head down there today. Thanks.

Update

Yesterday was basically cleaning up the file. Deleting stray points, double checking that everything is measured correctly and lining up right. Checking for errors in layers, naming layers, and various other house keeping.

I also got parts of the project started that I think you're all going to like, but I'll keep that on the down low for now.

At this point I have the following 95% complete.

- Pouches
    - Front Buckles
    - Back Buckles
    - Belt (buttons, pouch placement, disk placement, etc) mostly rough blocked

I say 95% because the following are questions I need answering.

1. What is the exact placement of the back buckle on the ESB version
    2. Is the button pouch riveted or sewn, or both (I think riveted)
    3. What is the length of the "post" that attaches the "Y" connectors
    4. Why do some of the costume test photos of the ANH version not have rivets on the hooks

I'll be posting some more patterns later in the day, so everyone have a great Sunday....oh, GOG has X-Wing v.s TIE Fighter on sale....go get it. :D :D

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    Sym-Cha likes this.
  33. Crazylegsmurphy

ESB Holster
    v 1.0

Sorry for the late update. I realized a few things after researching leather craft that I wanted to incorporate into the patterns.

Belts

Here I have the first version of the belts. As you can see, the Droid Caller isn't done, and I have both belt types on there for reference. So far, I think this version is getting pretty close. Check it out.

StarWars-HanSolo-Holster-Belts.png

Thoughts

One of the things I am having a really hard time determining is the actual length of the belts. I realize that the belt will have to adjust slightly to fit the individual, but I wanted to get the placement of everything right, before worrying about length.

What I ended up doing was positioning the hooks at the end, and then carefully measuring each gap before placing the next element. I worked my way along the belt until I got to the end. There, I added the thickness of the leather, and then made sure the buttons lined up.

IF my calculations are correct, the belt should be about the right length (It is currently about 23" without any folds). From there I figured the best place for the "break" in the pattern would be just before the first set of buttons. I figured that would be a good place to add extra, or take a few inches away if needed as it would keep the look of the belt intact while viewing from the front and back.

Issues

There are of course a few things I'm not too happy about.

I am having a very hard time visualizing how the thickness of the leather will affect the pattern. It has been suggested to me that I should go get some 1/8" foam and attempt a mockup build. I think that is a great idea, and I plan on doing that this week if I can find the time to get out.

The second issue is that there are a few measurements I am unsure of. The "Disk" for example is pure guesswork. I don't have the specs for the one being sold, nor do I have clear enough photos of the actual one to determine the size.

This has the potential to throw all the measurements off at the back of the belt. I would really like to get some more concrete info.

Things to note

I have had a few people tell me that they've begun creating their belts using these patterns. I highly discourage this as the patterns are constantly changing. As well, the images I am uploading are not 1:1 scale and even though I have measurements on them, these are often very rough, or even wrong.

When this is done, I will make available a printable version that is 1:1 and ready to go. Trust me. :D

Project Update

I am at the point now where I am about 90% complete the belts. I just need to finish the droid caller, track down the size of the disk, and go over the whole thing to make sure every line is in place, and all the measurements are correct.

The pouches are done and the buckles are done. Once I get the belts completed, I can finish off the holster, and then prepare everything for distribution.

Questions

1. What is the diameter of the "disk"?
    2. Are the elements on the belt in the correct positions?
    3. What is the length of the belt?

See you guys soon. :D

bearded likes this.
  34. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

[​IMG]

That's the original ESB pictured above. And the disk on my belt below is about 3.2 cm in diameter ... if that helps :

[​IMG]

... though I believe it's a bit to thick in size :wacko

Chaim

ataru72ita likes this.
  35. Crazylegsmurphy

Hey Chaim,

Thanks for the images. Your measurements at least give me something to go on...and it turns out my guess was pretty close. :D

From what I can see, the disk on the originals wasn't as refined as the ones seen on many of the holsters...it almost looks painted. I can't seem to find any decent images, so I'm going to have to throw on the movies and see if I can't find something.

The question will then be, what is screen accurate, and what is idealized?

I might contact the well known seller of these disks, and ask for the specs in return for a plug in the pattern. :p

Sym-Cha likes this.
  36. Crazylegsmurphy

Hey Chaim,

Two quick questions if you don't mind.

Is that an accurate droid caller, and if so, would it be possible for you to measure the diameter of the front and back, and the total length?

How are the hooks attached to the leather?

As I mentioned before, I have seen ANH versions with no rivets. I would like to know how this is done because my pattern currently has rivets, and I think it is totally wrong.

Thanks. :D

37. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Dude, I wanna buy you a beer!

Crazylegsmurphy likes this.
  38. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

@ Crazylegsmurphy indeed it's an accurate ANH Droidcaller and the sizes are : front about 35mm; back 40mm and total lenght 125mm or 12,5 cm.

Best to show you my ANH hooks and stuff with pictures ... it's an ugly mess ... real propmaker's way of finishing just with jb weld and how I like it ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also notice the multiple additional 'buttons' from the back ... to be able to adjust the lenght of each belt to any proper waist ... of course for Harrison's belt they had his waist size so no need to add so many.

Chaim

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    ataru72ita and Crazylegsmurphy like this.
  39. Crazylegsmurphy

lol, wut!?

That is a epic amount of JB weld! Love it!

That really helps me though. I was so close with my Droid Caller clip, but I was off by about 1/2 cm or so in both directions. So thank you!

As for the ANH clips.....that is a head scratcher. I wonder how it was done?

I have an idea, but.....

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

40. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

So the clip that holds the Kobold is about 30mm and the length of the rest behind the clip and riveted to the leather belt is about 105mm or 10.5 cm on mine ... but looking at that real holster ... it could be the same size as a Kobold :wacko Just remember : 'Don't make it real, make it believable' ... hence I like the use of heavy JB weld ... eventhough the real prop might have gone without :)

Chaim

ataru72ita and Crazylegsmurphy like this.
  41. Crazylegsmurphy

Smugglers Holster
    v 1.0

So, one of the things that I have needed to address eventually has been the lack of rivets on the ANH version of the buckle.

Thanks to Chaim, I have some idea of how this could have been done.

The question is, were the original hooks welded out of two parts, or perhaps bent from one? Based on the images I have, even the higher res ones, I simply have no idea.

Here is an idea I had

StarWars-HanSolo-Holster-Buckles-3.png

Basically, the hook is bent back on itself, then around the leather where it is riveted.

The advantage to this design is that it wouldn't have required any welding, and could have been made out of one single piece of metal. The disadvantages are that you have to rivet before making the bend in the metal, it creates stress points in the metal because they have to be bent so extreme, and it adds a lot of thickness to the hook.

Alternatively...

StarWars-HanSolo-Holster-Buckles-4.png

This is based more on what we see above.

The advantage to this is that it doesn't really add much bulk to the hook, and the bends in the metal would be much less complex. It would also allow for riveting the metal to the leather, and then not having to worry about making additional bends after.

The disadvantage is that it requires extra parts, and extra welding.

Personally, despite the extra bits, and the fact it requires welding. I like the second option better. It seems to be the design that keeps the external look of the hook, but allows for the rivets to be hidden. I would like to know your thoughts, but I think I will add this one into the plans, until of course a better solution is found, or I'm convinced otherwise.

EDIT

A member of another forum suggested that it may have been nothing more than a post. Basically, something like a Chicago screw that was welded to the back of the hook.

StarWars-HanSolo-Holster-Buckles-5.png

The top image is the same one posted above, with the only difference being that it is built with the proper measurements, and is more refined.

The second design is based on the suggestion.

The obvious advantage of this is that it is dead simple. Aside from having to weld the post (Chicago screw, etc), there really isn't anything different that needs to be done, or made.

I like it!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  42. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I guess they did option 2 for mine but covered with a lot of JB Weld so the sharp edges of the metal won't cut my pants ... however if option 3 works than yes . . . 'KISS' or 'Keep It Simple Stupid' method is prefered . . . however will it be strong enough when trooping with the complete holster set up including a heavy blaster on the hips? Yes most metal blasters are heavy ;)

Chaim

ataru72ita likes this.
  43. Crazylegsmurphy

Good point.

I am trying to keep in mind that not everyone has access to a gritty old blacksmith that can make Dwarf armour and weld belts, and have to use other methods like JB weld.

I added a "support plate" to the pattern based on your recommendation, which is basically just a slightly scaled down version of the hooks, with proper placement for the screws. So, what someone can do is JB weld the screws in place, then place the extra support shape over the screws and then JB weld that.

It will add another layer of bulk to the hook, but it is the easiest compromise I can come up with to assure it has the strength to hold up.

Hope that works.

44. Crazylegsmurphy

Smugglers Holster
    v 1.0

Updates

Well, what a week. My hackintosh decided to not boot, requiring me to reinstall the OS like four times. That set me back a few days. Then, I realized when cleaning up the patterns (removing stray points, making sure things lined up and are the correct size), that I had not measured something correctly and had to go back an fix all the instances in which I copied that mistake over and over.

I was able to get back into the swing o' things yesterday, and so I wanted to post this:

Smuggers-Holster-Overview.png

It isn't the most pretty thing, and only about 3/4 of the layers are turned on, but it gives you an idea of everything that will make it into this pattern, and where I am at.

Today I am going to get working on the actual holster. This is where I am most unsure of some of the details, and so I will be looking for feedback soon.

If it all goes well, in the next few days I will be able to put this all together into a printable format, and let you guys have it. :D

spoudastis likes this.
  45. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Before you start cutting up leather ... try a paper or cloth version first of all the 'leather' parts to make certain your designs are accurate and don't screw up your pretty leathers, yet :)

Chaim

46. Crazylegsmurphy

Chaim,

I purchased a bunch of foam from Michaels that I will use to do a test build. :)

ataru72ita and Sym-Cha like this.
  47. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great thread! Always wanted to build one of these myself. Watching your detective work closely.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  48. Crazylegsmurphy

Smugglers Holster
    v 1.0

Buttons

Hello Everyone. Today, we talk buttons.

When you look at these images long enough, your brain starts to realize details that you just assumed were the same. I mean, buttons are buttons, right?

What actually tipped me off was that I was trying to source buttons, and realized that I would have to choose a size. The problem was that the size of my buttons in my pattern, and on the images didn't seem consistent.

So, I decided to fire up Photoshop and see if there was something to this...and this is what I got.

Smuggers-Holster-Buttons.png

Now, as you know I am limited by the images I have available, but I wanted to attempt to see what was going on. I know I've created some bias in you guys already, but I would really like your feedback on these findings.

What size buttons do you think are used on these?

Update

I have some buttons laying around that I am fairly certain are 15.8mm - 5/8" in diameter. I figured I would post this picture for comparison.

Smuggers-Holster-Buttons-2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  49. spoudastis

This is a thing of beauty, nice work!! You really have done a great job breaking this down into its components and doing an exhaustive analysis.

50. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

The buttons used on mine are 15 mm in size ... so the ones used in your last picture looks okay to me :)

Chaim