Han Solo ANH Hero Blaster Flash Hider *FOUND*

Ok, in two years when someone looks at this and wonders what happened to all the pictures, I have archived them.

If anyone wants a copy of the pictures from this thread, be it now or in a few years, please PM me.

Thanks.

Originally posted by amish+Sep 29 2005, 06:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amish @ Sep 29 2005, 06:02 PM)</div>
David,

If you are able to borrow the parts, would you mind photographing them and posting it here for all to drool over?  [/b]

Of course.

<!--QuoteBegin-Prop Runner
@Sep 29 2005, 06:28 PM
David,

Good luck with Martin and the reverse-engineering. :)

If you could, please post "before" and "after" dimensional comparisons between the real suppressor and the best replicas offered to date, if you have access to them:

- Icons
- MARK IV
- Your latest
- MR
- and, humbly, my model  :D

I'd love to know just how close we've been to the real thing.  My guess: a few thousands of an inch.  But what I really expect will be different is the interior detail, which of course you can leave out since none of the previous replicas got right.

Please PM me your e-mail address and later today I'll shoot you a drawing of my 3D CAD suppressor.

Thanks,

- Gabe
[snapback]1086541[/snapback]​

As you know there are so many dimensions to this suppressor that I would not be able to do complete comparisons but I will touch on the main details.

Unfortunately I only have my most recent Flash Hider to use for comparison but I'm sure others can add to the comparison once I have posted some of the information.

Congratulations and thank you to everyone who has contributed and helped in this exciting discovery.. :cheers

In celebration, I'm going to stick this for a week or so. :thumbsup This thread truly shows what great things can be accomplished when our common passion for this hobby is channeled towards a common goal. This is a moment we will remember for a long time to come. :)

David

I've made contact with the owner of this working MG-81, with the CORRECT flash suppressor:

MG81_maxivickers.jpg

It's the only one he has or has ever found, so it's not for sale at any price. He will, however, consider loaning me the part in order to take accurate measurements in exchange for 2 replicas, once they're made.

If we come to an agreement, I'll post pictures as soon as I'm in possession. :)

I went to the MG81/34 shop today....

I have never seen that many machine guns, crates, surplus gear in my life.

And I was amazed at how much heavier the guns were than I imagined.

Saw a huge crate of bakelite butts, flash hiders, ...bewildering amount of stuff.

Now heres the thing....none of the guys at the shop could figure out what the hell the solo piece was.....all of them came over, tossed around ideas (which I figure amounts to as at least 75 years of collective knowledge among them).

Not a one could figure out what it where it came from. Although a few ideas kept popping up.

1] it was an asian made piece or eastern european piece with very little reference for us to go on in the west

2] it was an extremely small experimental run--There were apparently a zillion modified parts for these guns.

3] or it was a combination of two parts, base and cone

I did learn why those small U shaped notches existed. The piece threads on. Apparently as it rotated the flash hider could be locked into position much like a sterling butt cap locks on. To lock it in place, a lock arm piece clipped down into the U shaped notch. The reason it would be rotated up or down was to effectively deal with the flash and gas, depending on the use of the gun. Interesting.

Gabe,

That is awesome news.. I cannot wait to see the pics, I hope the guy is willing to lend this too you.

Drew,

Great story. Did you tell them it was for the MG81 or just make them guess :)

Originally posted by Durasteel Corporation@Oct 1 2005, 02:07 AM

And I was amazed at how much heavier the guns were than I imagined. 

[snapback]1087592[/snapback]​

That's just you, man -- light as a feather for me. You should get in there and start lifting some weights, man. ;)

I'm just playing, Drew.... For a 6'7" mountain like yourself, a heavy gun must be really heavy. :)

Hey PH

It was about 27lbs. Yeah it wasnt light in the sense if you had to heft that thing around all day, youd want a strap ya know.

The guns were excessively greasy (I had a nice shirt on) so I also think this contributed to my paranoid fear of re-gripping it and holding it closer in to my body; ie I held it with kid gloves at an arms length in rather uncomfortable position. I was paranoid of dropping the thing in a shop with guns....and more guns....and guys who love these things like babies.

btw guys, they sell these things with dummy recievers for about 650 bucks.

Any sandtroopers out there?

D

Browsing through this thread, great find guys.I'll put in a call and see if one of the tips can be sourced here localy in LA.

well that was fast,
looks like some are indeed local here in LA. I'll shoot off an email with some pics, hopefully we will have some good news this coming week.

Originally posted by robstyle@Oct 1 2005, 07:56 PM
well that was fast,
looks like some are indeed local here in LA. I'll shoot off an email with some pics, hopefully we will have some good news this coming week.
[snapback]1087973[/snapback]​

Rob, if you need help georgraphically, let me know - I'm in south OC.

Originally posted by PHArchivist+Oct 2 2005, 02:51 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHArchivist @ Oct 2 2005, 02:51 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-robstyle
@Oct 1 2005, 07:56 PM
well that was fast,
[snapback]1087973[/snapback]​

Rob, if you need help georgraphically, let me know - I'm in south OC.
[snapback]1088138[/snapback]​
[/b]
And I'm in Ventura - have car, will travel. :D

- Gabe

So now we have two board members making dead-on accurate replicas of this thing. :eek
Will you be making them out of steel or aluminum?

Would it be a good idea to try to emulate old worn blued steel in aluminum by anodizing in a not quite black, but very dark grey hue with just a hint of brown ?

If the correct ones are indeed local, we would just mold it and offer castings at an affordable price, nothing in metal.

Thanks for the offer of rides too guys :)
Luckly just some phone calls need to be made to secure the item and delivery arranged. I have also asked about price's to purchase the peice so we will see about that too ;)

In my opinion, blued steel is the only way to go for the metal replicas :) Assuming of course that's what the original is, but I can't imagine it being anything different.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back