Han Solo ANH Hero Blaster Flash Hider *FOUND*

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by amish, Sep 20, 2005.

1. amish

amish Sr Member

Truly a great day as Flash Hider for the ANH "Hero" blaster Han used has been identified. Many people worked very hard on identifying this and everyone's effort has paid off. Many thanks to Darth Lars for finding the exact part on the MG81 :)

Please read entire thread as the search and work that was put into it by all the members deserves to be recognized.

Also, someone will be doing a run on this using accurate parts ;-) Please stay tuned for details as they arrive.

This pic was pulled from Darth Lars post on Page 10.
    [​IMG]

Please don't PM me regarding producing a run - one of the members here may be starting an interest thread soon in the Junkyard, so bookmark this thread and keep checking back.

Edit: This thread was originally about finding out who made a reliable replica of the original Flash Hider. It has however taken turn for the better by having people looking for the actual "found" piece used in the movie. Some great information is being posted, thanks to all that participate. Gabe aka Prop Runner has made some excellent 3D renderings that are found on page 5 which shows a highly accurate piece.

Still, the origins of the actual "found" item is elduing us. Though there is much reason to believe that this was a Flash Hider/Suppressor from a WWII or WWI gun. Please read on to learn more.

Hello all,

Hopefully a simple question :) Who makes or has made the most accurate flash hider for the ANH Hero that Solo uses?

I know of the blast-tech one and the Bobadebt one, but what is most accurate, and is there other ones out there that are more accurate?

Thanks to all that respond.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't think anybody has. At least not in any large numbers. A few people did customise their own.

I'm still waiting for an accurate one.

3. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

isnt part of the problem the lack of a usable found item? I believe LP has a pic on his website but it looks rather corroded to be of much use I would think.

Sounds like a found object thread fellas....whatchya think? ;)

4. amish

amish Sr Member

Thanks for the input, so what would you all consider the most accurate replica?

5. kurtyboy

I'm not sure of I have the name right because it was before my time at the RPF.

I 'think' the BD MKIV (or was it a Mark Worley?) could work with some modifications. Namely the removal and scrapping of the crappy attached bull barrel and boring out the back of the flash hider to make the hole bigger.

6. Durasteel Corporation

yeah that name rings a bell.

7. amish

amish Sr Member

Thanks guys :)

I will have to look around for what I can find out about that....

What about from the known replicas, is there anyone that is more accurate than the other? Something that is available and a little easier to find.

I already own a Blast-Tech flash hider and a Boba Debt version, but I am unsure which is the most accurate and if there is something more accurate out there that is easily available.

Thanks.

8. Chingon

Chingon Well-Known Member

I thought it was discovered to have been a nozzle from some sort of fire extinguisher? Has that theory been disproven?

9. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, it was a nozzle from a fire extinguisher - held the only example out there in my hands about five years ago. Jeff Ritzmann found it - and it's made of incredibly crappy metal, which is why you probably don't see any surviving examples.

10. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Markus - I think that's Jason's latest Xacto wound.

I still need a flash hider for my MerrSonn, but there really aren't any great available replicas. BD hasn't made them in years. The BlastTech one isn't bad but the part that bugs me most about it is the U-shaped details on the back. They should be curved inward, but the BT just has them as flat milled shapes. The BT set screw holes aren't aligned right either.

11. amish

amish Sr Member

Is the BD more accurate over the Blast-tech?

12. Chrima

Chrima New Member

Dean O made a really nice one machined from aluminum. I have one of those on mine. He hasn't made any of those in a year or so though.

13. Durasteel Corporation

Jason

though I can understand some basic shape and detail similiarities, why is it believed this thing was definately a fire extinguisher? Have any photos of originals surfaced? What vintge, era?

d

14. amish

amish Sr Member

What do you all think of this one? I wouldnt mind knowing it's level of accuracy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. wuher da brewer

wuher da brewer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That doesn't look like my BD. My BD has scalloped U-channels in the back, not flat milled ones. It is also cut in the back for the bull barrel. That only has one inner circumference for the barrel. Looks more like the blast-tech to me.

16. moffeaton

Well, he says that he literally plucked it from an early '70s fire extinguisher (lol) and I held it/studied it against my (at the time) Han Hero prop, which was a Mark W/Boba Debt hybrid - and it was pretty much bang on - same size/shape (though the real one was a little deformed and corroded to hell, you could tell it was the same). The fan version was far superior in fit and finish, but we know that's almost always the case with ANH-era props versus replicas.

http://www.partsofsw.com/dl44sw.htm

I have a hard time believing there's a completely unrelated yet identical piece of gear floating around out there, but that's the beauty of not knowing a prop exactly - you can believe whatever you choose to believe.

For me, if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it's a goram duck.

17. eFXBarry

eFXBarry Well-Known Member

I remember hearing for years that it was a nozzle from a fire extinguisher and I recall the pic that floated around here of the found part that Jason, must have held in his hand. However....

The owner of the original ANH Solo Blaster informed me that the tip was not from an extinguisher but is in fact the flash hider from a WW2 aircraft gun...

As Jason says... believe what you will... until the part is found.

Barry

18. amish

amish Sr Member

Im certain it's not a blast-tech as I have one of them as part of another blaster I own.

Makes me want to say hmmmmmm....

19. moffeaton

Heya Barry.

Yeah, I can only go by what Jeff said... but whereever it came from, it WAS a Han ANH muzzle :)

So is it Joiner that has the original gun? Will he EVER show his goodies?

20. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

That hider is a VERY early BD one...when he had some plans made up of his own. Once "Active Projects" really were abundant and this part was studied and blueprinted to death the level of accuracy came WAY up to his last version which is the most abundant.

Steve

21. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Of those made so far, I'd vote for the MR version, having seen the others in person.

22. Durasteel Corporation

that is actually a * strong possibility. Ive never seen an extinguisher with that shape.

23. amish

amish Sr Member

Thanks for the info Steve. Would you happen to have a picture of one of his later ones?

I am curious as to the progression now.

Also, thanks to all that chimed in and helped me sort this out.

24. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

---
    I have gone through a great deal of pics of flash suppressors, and there are a few that look close but not close enough. The MG-34, MG-17 and MG-FF for instance.

25. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Drew - Go look at the pic on PoSW and you will.

Jason Joiner says many things without backing them up. He also said the radial cylinder on the Leia blaster and other props was a plumbing adaptor but offered nothing to back it up except to say that he had seen one before.
    I know Jason told me he was looking for one and claimed to have located one and that he would have it soon. To me it sounds like his original prop is missing the piece (like MOST of the blasters he has) and he's trying to rebuild it. Unless he shows it off on display or in pics I don't believe it.
    Remember the Stormtrooper blaster that was up for auction? None of the add on parts were on the Sterling when he got it.

Jeff Ritzman had a physical piece in hand, shared pics and let Jason examine it. I consider the piece found.

Running The Parts of Star Wars I've received tons of e-mails over the years saying this or that part is one of these etc. 99% of the time it's not. The same thing happens here on the RPF all the time too.

26. Durasteel Corporation

had? what happened to it LP?

27. eFXBarry

eFXBarry Well-Known Member

Way to go, Chris :)

B

28. Durasteel Corporation

I know the picture Chris but where is the proof that its from an extinguisher?

Im not questioning anything other than why its believed its an extinguisher....are there any pictures showing it on a hose?

much appreciated.

D

29. moffeaton

Jeff still has it, as far as I know. He dropped off the boards a few years ago.
    No, he didn't have it physically attached to a notarized fire extinguisher, lol. I just believed the guy.

You should start investigating and try to find the same part - fortune and glory, brotha. Then we can all take turns asking for your proof ;)

30. Durasteel Corporation

[right

seems like thats what this thread if for.....brotha mythbusta :)

but seriously, I mean, people have banked on what they think is something and there turns out to be scant proof.....so you might believe so and so..fine....but wait a minute, how is heresay (which is exactly what your telling us to bank on) really proof for those of us who dont know Jeff beyond a rusted piece of metal, a claim and a citation of ownership???

Dont get ruffled just because Im asking for the who, what, when, where and why.

Isnt that the POINT of this thread J..... ;)

31. Got Maul

Got Maul Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

point of the thread is to actually acquire one and find someone to make the dang thing again. Is there anyway we could get measurements from the original and have someone (ahem- BD) make a run of them- I would be in for two.

32. Durasteel Corporation

well thats a great point too. :D

However we gotta know what to look for....model number, use, etc.

33. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

While everybody recognizes that J.R. found the only known surviving dispersion nozzle, Drew is correct in pointing out that we only have his word on its origins. I distinctly recall Jeff making lots of waves about having discovered the way the Hero ANH Han blaster's vertical and horizontal scope brackets attach together, and even made an impressive 3D animation of it, but he was later proven wrong. So I take his nozzle claim with a grain of salt and to date have found no known fire extinguisher that sports such a nozzle. It could not have possibly been that rare, since vintage fire extinguishers in pristine condition are offered on eBay every day in the US and UK. I've also always found it odd that a fire extinguisher nozzle would be gun-blued... Check out the hero:

[​IMG]

Notice that there's no front sight on the bull barrel the way MR inexplicably designed their replica. I'm still scratching my head over that one... And the bull barrel is off-center (an illusion, as the bore is lined up with the breach, but the thicker barrel wall rides over the top where the original barrel was colinear). It's also chamfered in 3 places on top where it mates to the Mauser upper body, unlike many replicas where it's concentric to the original barrel with no chamfer.

That being said, it would be nice to have a more robust replica of the nozzle/suppressor, and I've come up with a 3D model of one that could be CNC machined. I apologize in advance for the false perspective:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The model isn't finished yet - the knurling is missing from the cylinder, but you get the general idea. Also, there are threaded holes on the top and bottom of the cylinder for a 4-40 hex-head screw and a hole in the back to fit over a cut off Denix Mauser barrel. I could also add a bull barrel extension, but in the hero blaster the suppressor was off-center, so purists might object to a concentric barrel and prefer to fabricate their own. ;)

I welcome criticism and suggestions. If there's enough demand, I could get a run going with one of the RPF's resident machinists or through one of my sources. Please don't PM me - post here if you're interested and after a few days we'll tally up the numbers and go from there.

- Gabe

34. moffeaton

Those Bapty pics were taken before the "sight" and "antennas" were glued on, I believe. LonePigeon will know.

35. amish

amish Sr Member

This is the first I have heard of this, what are you referring to by the "sight" and "antennas". I am quite curious as I am new to the blaster area of star wars.

BTW, Gabe, nice rendering :)))

36. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I think it looks like a flash hider from a WWI biplane machine gun. Like this Spandau:

[​IMG]

I know that's not it, but maybe from a different gun. Of course I'm just guessing here, but it looks more like a real gun part than an extinguisher nozzle. Especially since it appears to be blued.

But then again, the corrosion Moffeaton mentions suggests something other than steel.
    Like maybe magnesium. Which would make more sense for an extinguisher nozzle than a machine gun...

Crap, back to square one again...

37. Howard

Howard Sr Member

There was a thread not too long ago where this came up - but I can't find it.
    There was a pic of a Japanese machine gun and the hider looked VERY close.
    Anyone remember that thread?

Howard.

38. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Guys, thoroughness and questioning is good, but it's also a waste of time to reinvent the wheel. This was hashed out years ago, and if what Jeff found wasn't it, then it's 1000% identical to the "WWII suppressor".

It's a fire extinguisher head. He talked with an old timer who had a fire supply shop. Pulled a box full of the things out of storage for him. They were all hopelessly rusted and fused together in a big oxydized mess. The one pictured on POSW was the best of the lot.

It's found! Let's put research energies into other mysteries, hmm? :)

EDIT IN 2011:
    Well, I was obviously wrong about the need to continue the search. ;)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  39. kurtyboy

He's refering to these pieces as shown here on my Merr Sonn:

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/merr_sonn8.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/merr_sonn9.jpg[/image]

Yes that's saber/E-11 grip material on the bull barrel. Its posisble this grip material was originally present on the Han ANH Hero. There are no clear photos of the completed blaster - why do you think MR screwed up their front sight? They misinterpreted the bad photo. They were probably looking at one of these 'antenna' piecei.

40. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The drawings of the muzzle look good, but IMO the U-shaped grooves on the hero blaster are ...

- not as deep as yours
    - plus, if you look closely, they seem to form more of an OVAL shape instead of a clean U with straight lines torwards the rear end. Know what I mean?

Markus

41. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

...which jives with the found part being stamped sheet metal. ;)

42. Cantina_Dude

Cantina_Dude Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello.

Well here is how I see it. The back edge of the suppressor should be beveled or rounded a little bit, giving the U-shaped grooves that slight oval shape you see in the photos of the original. Take a look at this image that illustrates what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

This is a detail that has been missed on all the replicas I have seen, so it would be great to incorporate it into any new runs that take off from here. What do people think?

Keep up the great work, everybody.
    Cheers,
    MJC.

43. amish

amish Sr Member

MJC,

I see what you mean, but I think it may be a trick of the photo. Where you are seeing the shadow create that curved oval feel. I may be wrong, but I am not entirely convinced of the oval.

I do have to say it is the first time I noticed that oval :) Nice find, even if it is a shadow :)

44. amish

amish Sr Member

Looking at Moffeatons Picture I noticed a gap (see red lines):

[​IMG]

This makes me believe a few things, that it was either drilled out to accomadate the mausers larger barrel, it is from a larger caliber weapon (aircraft) or that is could be the fire extinguisher.

I am having a hard time with this as there is so many good arguments as to what it could be. At this point I am thinking it may come from a larger caliber weapon. Though, I dont know much about weapons :)

BTW, nice collage of pics.

45. moffeaton

Thanks. Yeah, some of the ANH enthusiasts have been making mods to their muzzles to mirror that gap in the back for a while now.

Guys - I freaking HELD IT IN MY HANDS and it was stamped metal. Crappy thin dinky-* stamped metal.

46. Durasteel Corporation

I see why there appears to be an angled inward look to the opening of the U cut-outs, but Id like to suggest looking at some other angles....

....in some of the upright photos, the inward angling is far less pronounced and we might be seeing a combination of wear and tear, paint loss etc, odd lighting etc to account for some of this inward angle.

....but these would have been made before the age of CNC....so if machined, punched etc by machines that were not perfect (nor run by a human that was not perfect) this may account for some imperfect details as you rotate the piece.

I tried pointing out a few thoughts here:

Note the slightly sunken band "line" at the base of the cone. It appears as though the cone rises up a hair at its base and proceeds outward/upward from there.

Note some of fluted lines are different lengths: wear/tear or imperfect machining?

Note that the back opening with the U shaped cut outs is very thin.

[​IMG]

47. Java

Java Sr Member

48. Durasteel Corporation

decades ....10, 20, 30, 40, 50.....70, 80 years....not that far

and the application of CNC for something as simple as a fire hose, if thats indeed what this thing is (I am not convinced either way)

49. Java

Java Sr Member

whatever.

Keep banging your heads.

50. bwingpilot

bwingpilot Active Member

In my opinion this thing has to be a flash hider, it only make sense. Why the grooves? It would not make any sense to have the grooves if it were part of a fire extinguisher, If it was a flash hider these groves would be for the twisting action of removal. check out a pick of a similar flash hider here:

[​IMG]