Han Solo ANH Hero Blaster Flash Hider *FOUND*

Yikes...

Most people - good, well-intentioned people - won't think twice before posting website links, and by the same token, nobody here needs to ask permission from anyone before e-mailing a source whose identity has been made public. And even if they weren't "outed," any Google search on MG81 would have led to them in under 60 seconds. They put themselves on the Internet, for better or for worse. If they don't like the attention, they can simply choose to ignore it or take themselves off it.

Do some people lack tact and discretion when contacting these sources? Sure. But keeping a discovery secret and/or making up some @#$%. story to cover it up out of ego, some false sense of entitlement or proprietariness, or good-ol' greed is contrary to everything this forum stands for.

People really need to get over it. I honestly don't care if I'll ever own an original suppressor or not. How many of us own blasters based on real Mausers? A damn few, I can tell you. What, maybe 1/2 of 1/2 of 1%? My blasters are all based on Denixes. Those who can afford to destroy a real Mauser, Sterling, or a rare MGC don't generally blink at the prices rare suppressors or scopes will fetch.

So Graflexes and MPPs went up in price. Big whoop. It was inevitable. Same with the scopes, cameras, lenses, suppressors, Rubbermaid containers, hair driers, TI calculators, and now British jet engine parts. Word will spread no matter how discreet we are. Most sellers and dealers aren't stupid - they'll figure it out once they see what kind of people are bidding on them based on the bidders' past eBay transactions.

It's a free market. The second words gets out, prices will rise, even if NOBODY mentions Star Wars. Sellers don't care why there's s surge in interest, but when they see that there is one, they'll raise their prices to meet demand. It's as simple as that.

Sheesh.

- Gabe

I think enough has been said about the downside of publicizing things, the part has been found, now letÂ’s REJOICE and start partying...

From what reading I've done on the MG34, MG42 and Broomhandle,
lots of information (i.e. files & records) were lost during the late
stages of WWII or just after the war.

Hence, finding blueprints produced by Mauser (who also produced P-08; K98k; MG34; MG42)
would be very unlikely.

Not saying they aren't out there; British Armoury Museum (or whatever it's called and quoted in several books) have found old documents. Lots from Norway.

Maybe, but probably only some Uber collector would know about this blueprint, IF it does indeed exist.

PS: to whomever is making these: hope you get the chance to caliper & photograph the elusive thing.

It's funny, because the real lack of respect shown in these discovery threads, isn't to the person who makes the discovery.

It to the person who actually has the part we seek.

More times than not the part is some unwanted thing that up to now isn't worth keeping around. But now the Star Wars geeks want to cheat him out of his due by trying to get something for nothing. Pretty sad.

I hope that word spreads fast so the people we rely on so heavily to hang onto these things see that it is worth hanging onto them for so long.

Of course in this case it looks like the piece is rare as rare can be on it's own accord.

Very good points everyone. Man I wish this spirit would continue...really brings back the old days.

amish, love that picture..

As for me....truthfully, Im an antique nazi....I hate damaging an original because time wont look as kindly on SW nuts (who are aging btw) who destroy actual part of history....these things are not as plentify as some claim. If there are 2000 real graflexes left in the world....in 50 years, 1/3 of them will be gone, destroyed or thrown out. In that same time if another 700 are converted to sabers or SW parts that may or may not survive the grandkids inheritance of 'what the hell is this' than these originals dwindle in a scary way. Sure its hard to know what is or what isnt an exaggeration of numbers but the point is...Id rather make a damn good blueprint based on damn accurate specs and make a new one.....for the sake of what a SW prop really is....ie, pop art in the general sense, its not worth destroying or hoarding originals.....Id borrow an original, maybe make a mold, take those blueprints...and do a run....and give the original back....so you, my brothers, can share the love.

Your Honorable Reverend Collectarius Green. :D

Originally posted by Durasteel Corporation@Sep 27 2005, 11:36 PM
Very good points everyone.  Man I wish this spirit would continue...really brings back the old days. 

amish, love that picture.. 

As for me....truthfully, Im an antique nazi....I hate damaging an original because time wont look as kindly on SW nuts (who are aging btw) who destroy actual part of history....these things are not as plentify as some claim.  If there are 2000 real graflexes left in the world....in 50 years, 1/3 of them will be gone, destroyed or thrown out.  In that same time if another 700 are converted to sabers or SW parts that may or may not survive the grandkids inheritance of 'what the hell is this' than these originals dwindle in a scary way.    Sure its hard to know what is or what isnt an exaggeration of numbers but the point is...Id rather make a damn good blueprint based on damn accurate specs and make a new one.....for the sake of what a SW prop really is....ie, pop art in the general sense, its not worth destroying or hoarding originals.....Id borrow an original, maybe make a mold, take those blueprints...and do a run....and give the original back....so you, my brothers, can share the love.

Your Honorable Reverend Collectarius Green.  :D
[snapback]1085316[/snapback]​

AMEN BROTHER. I really don't care if the parts I use are 'real' antiques, I just want one that looks the same. These are antiques, after all. Also, ever notice how some Obi-Wan sabers' grenades look...well...DECAYED? A good replica will solve that problem. This is the REPLICA Parts Forum, isn't it? :)

Anyhow, great job everyone. Now...can we somehow ID the scope mount??? :D
Any ideas?

CHEERS.

B

AWESOME pic AMISH. :p

WOW,..I went away for a few days and whammo the part is discovered. First let me say congrats to all involved. I for one was a "doubting Thomas" in of that I thought it was a LFL machined part for sure...the Jawa blaster seemed too much of a similarity for anything other (to me).

This is truely a momentous occasion as with all of the other huge discoveries. As for the price influx...as was mentioned no matter WHAT the sudden interest is in a particular item,the keymasters that hold our prizes will know there is interest and raise prices for that sole reason alone...to think there is NOT going to be an influx of research to find the part once it is ID'd is a bit naive.

Me...I'm off to "google" :angel

Steve

Guys,
GREAT JOB. I don't only mean on finding the piece, which was fantastic. But to push through and persevere even though at every turn you were scorned for your search. It just shows you different aspects of the human condition and great support for the fact that dedication and perseverance PAYS OFF. It as spirit that is such a virtue in this hobby.

I applaud you gentlemen. :thumbsup

Thanks for the halftime show, DARKSIDE... :rolleyes

Now back on topic:

I obtained these pics from a friend in Germany who made contact on my behalf with a local collector who claimed he'd dug up an MG-81 suppressor. It indeed looks like it came from an MG-81, however the locking notches are on the inside of the damper, not the outside, just like the pair in Darth Lars' photo, and as you can see, it's also extensively corroded:

MFB-MG04s.JPG

MFB-MG01s.JPG

I'm reluctant at this stage to request measurements or make an offer to buy, as not much will be gleened from this specimen. What I can see, however, is that my earlier speculation of an internal thread in the damper is now confirmed - look to the left of the barely distinguishable internal locking notches... :) I expect our suppressor to also have internal threading.

Hopefully this will be the first of many finds, and it will inspire others to look until a suppressor in good condition can be located. :)

I would like to thank my source for taking the time and making the effort to help this research project - I owe him one. ;)

Wow. Awesome find. I also never noticed that notch right before the muzzle. You can see it pretty clear in the second picture. Unfortunately, we are learning these things had been made in different versions, so tracking the same version could be difficult.

Tell your guy in Germany, great job and we all appreciate his effort.

Tom

After several requests by participants in this thread, including the person who started the thread, I've gone through and removed some off-topic posts by Darkside72 and others.

Let's keep this thread on-topic. The guys who did the research on this part should be applauded. :thumbsup

Lonnie
RPF Staff

For those that haven't figured it out yet I am the one that was in contact with the people that Darth Lars found.

There was a small miscommunication at first and it was looking grim there for a while but less then an hour ago the correct collector named Martin returned my phone call and I have a good feeling that he will enable me to create a very accurate set of prints for the MG-81 Flash Hider.

Apparently he had the largest collection of MG-81 part in the US and I was honored that he took the time to discuss the part and I was floored by his willingness to work with me on this project.

I did not want it to be widely know that I was pursuing this venture until I had a warm fuzzy feeling that I could deliver, I hope everyone understands.

I am going to send Martin the URL to the RPF so that he can take a look around and see what we do, he also wants to get an idea of my integrity since he might be sending me parts with steep financial value and immeasurable intrinsic value.

I hope many of you are as excited as I am.

This is extremely great news. I do not know what else to say, but I know you will do a great run, and based on previous work you have done, I know it will be of excellent craftmanship and highly accurate.

Thanks for all the hard work that you put into this.

Tom

I have done very little in this most recent quest so I don't feel as though I deserve any of the credit.

I am very proud of the direction this thread has gone and I assure you that the people that did the heavy lifting on will be compensated.

David,

If you are able to borrow the parts, would you mind photographing them and posting it here for all to drool over?

In the mean time, I am going to copy all the photos in this thread and host them on a permanent sever. I understand wackychimp needs storage space and I would hate to see some of the reference photos here deleted.

Thanks again.

Tom

Anyway, thanks again.

David,

Good luck with Martin and the reverse-engineering. :)

If you could, please post "before" and "after" dimensional comparisons between the real suppressor and the best replicas offered to date, if you have access to them:

- Icons
- MARK IV
- Your latest
- MR
- and, humbly, my model :D

I'd love to know just how close we've been to the real thing. My guess: a few thousands of an inch. But what I really expect will be different is the interior detail, which of course you can leave out since none of the previous replicas got right.

Please PM me your e-mail address and later today I'll shoot you a drawing of my 3D CAD suppressor.

Thanks,

- Gabe

the locking notches are on the inside of the damper, not the outside, just like the pair in Darth Lars' photo

How was this thing attached? Screwed on? If, so how do those locking notches integrate with a turning/tighting piece.....vs..... something slid on?

Is it possible a 'sleeve' covered external notches we may be overlooking?

Regarding the "original" screen used Mauser for the HERO prop....more specifically the bull barrel version....

Has ANYONE EVER come across another?????? Was this just a custom weapon created for movies prior to Star Wars?

Steve

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back