HALO Master Chief Costume Progress Thread (helmet rebuild begins on p.19)

Re: HALOween 2008 Master Chief Costume Progress

Well, you can't really type a whistle. That is going to look amazing. What other things can you do with pepakura? Oh, and what's with the trooper bucket in the background of that pic?

The trooper bucket was my first attempt at molding a helmet. Essentially it was a modded Don Post Classic Action helmet that I tried to make castings of. I was hoping to produce something more rigid and make my own lenses and aerators to fit into it. I only made two pulls and neither of them was worth looking at. The symmetry was way off and the castings were way too thin. Mostly I've kept that one around because it may someday be fun to blow it up or shoot holes in it.

Maybe someday I'll put some more effort into that one. I think I've still got the mold kicking around somewhere.

I had made the rest of the armor as well. So far I've only made two suits in .080 styrene because it's what I had on hand at the time. This was a few years ago, so it wasn't my best work, but here's a couple of pics:

I know the rifle in this one is wrong, but it was the best I could do on short notice.
halloween1022.jpg

And here's a shot of me on Halloween after a long day of not being able to find the droids I was looking for:
halloween1024.jpg

I almost forgot to post the latest progress pics.

Torso armor with fiberglass resin:

TorsoGlassingResin023.jpg

And another shot of it with the casting resin inside for reinforcement:

TorsoGlassingResin031.jpg

More to come.

The boots are coming together:

Bootsinglass001.jpg

The toe and ankle strap are symmetrical for the left and right boots. The only difference (for the hard parts) is in the heel cup, so I had to make a left and right version of those.

Now I have to pour a few layers of resin inside and start fairing and smoothing them. I'll be doing some shaping on the chest armor today as well.

I still need money to pay for sticky goo so I can go forward with this project. If you're on the fence about buying one of my helmet castings, now would be a great time to go ahead and pick one up. You can get more details in my junkyard thread.

wow, soon as I saw that TAP Plastics logo on your can there I knew you were from California without even looking under your Avatar! I used to use them when I was living there.

Looking forward to progress on your armor.

wow, soon as I saw that TAP Plastics logo on your can there I knew you were from California without even looking under your Avatar! I used to use them when I was living there.

Looking forward to progress on your armor.

I like TAP Plastics because they're close by, but I get much better prices from www.jgreer.com. Even after shipping, their resin costs less. I'm also planning on using their urethane rubber to make soles for my boots.

No interesting pics of armor progress today. It turns out I've got to stop planning to get so much stuff done every day. That way I'll get closer to achieving it all.

For today's news, I've started fairing the toe of the boot and the torso armor:
TorsoFairing018.jpg

Here's another shot of the armor with the helmet on top:
TorsoFairing023.jpg

I've decided to re-sculpt the abdomen plate. I couldn't get the paper model to sit straight and it'll be a quick sculpt to build old-school. I still can't afford to make the mold just yet, so if check out my junkyard thread if you need a helmet. Or, if you want to get on the list for torso armor before I start offering castings, PM me to make a deposit.

Stay tuned. In the meantime I could use some comments/criticisms.

Last edited:

Quick update.

The other night I managed to cut the armor apart and make it wearable. Hacking into it with a saw and a dremel was a bit nerve-wracking, but I managed a fairly clean cut and had a friend snap a couple of pics of the test-fitting. I apologize for the low-res cellphone pics, but it's all we had on hand:

02-20-08_2104.jpg

If anyone would like a copy of the chest armor when I start making pulls, I'm accepting deposits to help pay for moldmaking materials. I will be able to deliver these by the middle of March. I'm 5'8" tall and a lean 160 pounds with a 38" chest, so that should give you some idea of the size. PM me for more info.

Here's a closer shot:
02-20-08_2105.jpg

I'm still surprised and disappointed that there have been no comments.

I think it looks good for it's present stage, but to me the pecs seem a bit round currently.

Im just blown away by how this is all turning out! Amazing work.
Thanks for the urathane advice too.

I think the chest is looking just fine.... helmet is a bit large, but chest is perfect.

You're disappointed in the lack of replies? How many times can you hear "Awsome work!" without getting tired of it? ;) Well, here it is again ... "Awesome work!"

As for the size of the helmet, I'd personally like it large. If, by chance, I can ever afford to buy a helmet, I'm gonna need a HUGE one. Be glad for your size ... I wear like a 8.5 hat, and have a 48" chest. Talk about hard to find a costume to wear ...

If these are available down the road (when I have cash AND time on my hands to work on it), I'd love to get just the helmet.

ATM
ShackMan

You're disappointed in the lack of replies? How many times can you hear "Awsome work!" without getting tired of it? ;) Well, here it is again ... "Awesome work!"

You know how it is. Feedback is the fuel for projects like this. Plus, if I get the idea that there are people out there looking forward to seeing what I do next, I'm more likely to actually get something done rather than just sitting in the coffee shop and surfing the internets all day.

That said, I'm about to have my schedule interrupted by the most vile four-letter word in the English language: work. I'll be out of town for training next week, but I will be back in the shop and running at full speed next Sunday evening. I'm going to try and do some paper modelling while I'm in the hotel, but there's no way of knowing how that's going to work out.

Stay tuned.

I like it. If you did pulls but if you have a 38" chest It wont work from me (50" chest here).

Could you pass along the pep file for the chest or is it the high res on on the 405th board?

I like it. If you did pulls but if you have a 38" chest It wont work from me (50" chest here).

Could you pass along the pep file for the chest or is it the high res on on the 405th board?

This is the high res chest on the 405th, yes.

I will be doing at least one larger size, but I don't know that I'll be making one that fits a 50" chest. More on that some other time.

Thanks for the compliments! Like I said, knowing people are watching makes it easy to keep up on the progress.

Yesterday, after another day of sanding and filling and sanding and filling, I decided to go ahead and shoot my first coat of primer on the torso and boots to see how they look. Since some portions of the armor soaked up more primer than others, the finish is wildly uneven. Still, having it all one color is helpful for pointing out flaws that are harder to pick up when there's more going on.

The chest came out okay, but there are still quite a few trouble spots I need to get dialed in a bit better and some details to add. The biggest problem is that I still need to square up the pecs some more and straighten out some of the detail lines:
DSCN3737.jpg

I'm a little bit happier with the back. There are a few minor symmetry issues to sort out and I need to sharpen a lot of the edges:
DSCN3736.jpg

This is the first of two or three sizes of boot I will be making (this is the smallest one and is mostly a rough draft). I'm happy with the overall shape, but it won't look right on anything but the smallest feet. For now, I still need to do some more detailing:
DSCN3733.jpg

It was cold, wet, and miserable outside and as a result it was cold and miserable inside. The temperature ended up slowing the cure time for the bondo and eventually I decided I'd had enough of freezing my butt off dressed like this:
02-23-08_1532.jpg

I'll be out of the shop for a week's worth of training, but I've brought some more printed paper models to fold and assemble while I'm sitting around in the hotel, so there will at least be some sort of progress.

Stay tuned.

sweet man, i go on vacation for a week and you get this much done!?!?!?

keep up the awsome work, my high res grey knight helmet is going slowly, 15 A3 pages of bits, no idea how to stick some of them :( so many edges, so little time....

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back