Half Life 2 Gravity Gun build (tons o' pics!)

Thanks guys!

The charity thing is really addictive, and I know that's a weird thing to say, but being at the auction with the electric vibe of the whole thing makes all the weeks of work totally worth it. I love that the guys at PA have managed to give gamers a positive voice as well, as we're too often portrayed as a lazy or malevolent culture in a lot of media.

Not much work going on today (Thanksgiving and all!) but I spent some time in photoshop putting together the graphics for the little gauge on the left handle drum.

6395705267_d80e65d727_b.jpg

1.5" diameter gauge - super tiny! Need to figure out the best way to mock up a needle... maybe I can salvage some plastic toothpicks from dinner tonight!

(colors look a bit off above, because this is a CMYK file saved as a JPEG then displayed on a monitor. Its much more subdued in the final print)

Thanks guys!

The charity thing is really addictive, and I know that's a weird thing to say, but being at the auction with the electric vibe of the whole thing makes all the weeks of work totally worth it. I love that the guys at PA have managed to give gamers a positive voice as well, as we're too often portrayed as a lazy or malevolent culture in a lot of media.

Not much work going on today (Thanksgiving and all!) but I spent some time in photoshop putting together the graphics for the little gauge on the left handle drum.

6395705267_d80e65d727_b.jpg

1.5" diameter gauge - super tiny! Need to figure out the best way to mock up a needle... maybe I can salvage some plastic toothpicks from dinner tonight!

(colors look a bit off above, because this is a CMYK file saved as a JPEG then displayed on a monitor. Its much more subdued in the final print)

The pic looks off. Don't gauges usually have the needle in the middle? It looks like that's how it is in game too, but that it's obscured by the tape and maybe the depth of the face?

Last edited:
Well, yes it will have a needle on it, but the needle isn't part of the printed graphic. That will be a separate piece built on top of the print so it has some dimension.

I think what he was trying to point out was that it appears that your pivot hole for the pointer appears to be off center.

:)

I think what he was trying to point out was that it appears that your pivot hole for the pointer appears to be off center.

Ah, good point. It really depends on the gauge and the range of motion the needle will travel. On this one, it looks like a fairly narrow arc, so likely it will sit lower. Lots of automotive temp gauges are like this.

Here's the actaul gauge from the texture files, if it helps.

It does indeed! I see a few changes I need to make, thanks!

EDIT: Changes complete. This is MUCH better. I've marked where the two brass screws need to go. From the marker in the center, it appears this used to be an oil gauge of some kind. Not sure if its pressure or temp, though the color gradient leads me to think pressure. Still no idea what the "82" or "U2" thing is in the upper right, but its mostly scratched out anyhow. Besides, this thing is 1.5" in diameter; I doubt you'll be able to read the printout anyways!

6398206977_35f7913c75_z.jpg

Last edited:
Still no idea what the "82" or "U2" thing is in the upper right, but its mostly scratched out anyhow. Besides, this thing is 1.5" in diameter; I doubt you'll be able to read the printout anyways!

I believe it says "200". Looks like he pilfered the gauge from something, scratched out the 200 and then added dash marks to increase the range of the gauge beyond the original purpose.
I love how much thought went into something so small.

Coming along really well. Are you going to use rub n buff for the finish?

The basecoat is probably going to be several light applications of rustoleum hammered followed by some heavy weathering on top of it. I'll probably try to replicate the effects I had on my AER9 build, but a little bit heavier.

4406465955_d9d8dab8f2_b.jpg

One of the tricky things is going to be getting the different "tints" on the metal finish. Some it it looks more red, some more orange and some more like blue-tinted aluminum. I think getting that right is going to be essential to making the thing look correct.

Might try out some of the ferrous powder i used on another build for some rust in the crevices as well. Like this, but probably a much lighter application.

3722885166_b61eb97c35_b.jpg

...oh, and no blood.

This thing is amazing, excellent work! So I know you said you couldn't share the hi-res files, but what about your Arduino code? I'm working on a GOW lancer and using a lightduino (it's like an arduino mini with a waveshield embedded, the thing is tiny), but I'm still learning all things arduino so I'd love to see what you have!

This thing is amazing, excellent work! So I know you said you couldn't share the hi-res files, but what about your Arduino code?

When the project is finished and I've got all the kinks worked out, sure!

Getting down to the end of it now. Worked on details, and getting the final assembly bits all worked out. Lots of things need to be in alignment, so I've assembled and then disassembled the whole shebang about 6 times to make sure I've got things lined up.

Went over all the scribed panel lines with a set of needle files to make them a bit deeper. I had these done with the laser but they were pretty shallow

6416505403_516f701f06_b.jpg

Also added some small details to the handle drums. There needs to be a couple square cutouts on the surface, so I carved out a section with my dremel and filled it with apoxie sculpt. Pushed in a couple forms, then sand off the excess when its dry.

6416505817_feac9e5cee_b.jpg

LEDs for the fan section on the barrel are all set to go. I'll need to install this part before it can be wired up.

6416506343_45ef32710b_b.jpg

Primered parts! They'll need to dry overnight but I should be able to do the basecoat of silver tomorrow.

6416506679_fb00b9e63e_b.jpg

6416507103_19b5d0ca83_b.jpg

6416507435_5fc0204a6c_b.jpg

I also tested the arduino with all the boards running. Battery life on this should be pretty good - I'm estimating about 6-7 hours of run time off of 3 AAA's. Unlike the Portal Gun, the batteries should be much easier to change.

6416506069_75f365774f_b.jpg

Hoping to basecoat tomorrow, weather parts Tuesday, then wiring/assembly/more weathering on Wednesday and Thursday. After thinking about this project for nearly 3 years, there's light at the end of the tunnel!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back