Half Life 2 Gravity Gun build (tons o' pics!)

Thanks for the compliments guys! Still plugging away. Going to lose a day this week to the Thanksgiving festivities, but I'm hoping to have all parts built and ready for primer by the end of this week. Rough assembly would be a nice thing to shoot for as well, but one thing at a time... Maybe I'll save that hurdle for the weekend.

More progress:

Got the rear grip finished with the lower plate and side accents. Lower grip butt plate is made from acrylic to take a bit more beating than the sintra would be able to.

6369620101_72fac0932b_b.jpg

6369622297_fb0291da37_b.jpg

The rear drum assembly section has been drilled for a threaded rod that the grip will slot onto. Also added some half-round styrene to the inner support pipe to give a bit of dimension.

6369619765_a6e4eabd0f_b.jpg

A bit more work going into the front assembly as well. The prong arm holders got some small accent pieces - no way I could have made stuff this spindly without the laser cutter!

6374501133_2dffe18d4a_b.jpg

6374500355_0efbddfbf7_b.jpg

Quick mockup of the prong and claw arm assembly. I haven't sourced the proper hardware here yet so things are just sort of hanging precariously. Even so, it all fits together pretty well and the end result is quite encouraging!

6374500821_a72653f501_b.jpg

A couple more mockups with the handle and rear drum assembly. This thing is going to look busy when its finished

6369621633_4a9727c9c0_b.jpg

6369639009_15125dac70_b.jpg

Love these progress pics. Can't wait to see this all painted up with lights and all, amazing work man. Someone needs to make a HEV suit to go with this.

Damn it, Volpin, this was next on my bench. Gotta beat me to everything!
Yeah he spoiled my plans as well. I was planning to do full HEV Mk V + Gravity Gun for a con next august but now there's just no way it'll measure up, especually since he got Valve on his side :(
Now I'll probably end up doing something else...

This is still ridiculously awesome. Can't wait to see it finished and become green with envy.

I was literally sitting here and sketching GG construction ideas when I spotted this thread. There are some things here that I don't agree with, but there are no doubts that Volpin's build will be amazing regardless. Now I'm just curious about what happens on the 1st. Unless there is a run being announced I might have to keep on as planned, lol. The HL series is my favorite game series of all time, I have to have one of these, be it through a kit or scratch built.

What a weird, wonky, mis-shapen, unbalanced design.... I love it!

It's gotta be super hard to hold with it being so front heavy, right?

Great work.

Nick

Unless there is a run being announced...

I seriously doubt this! There are so many parts on this thing, I don't know if I could make it even in small-production numbers. This one will be a one-off. I'll have some molds to make one in the future (because I will be making more than one!) but without laser cutting everything all over again I don't know how I could make these available.

Out of curiosity, what are the parts you'd change? Your work is spectacular and I'd welcome the criticism!

Nick, its going to be awkward, that's for sure. I haven't gotten to the point where everything is assembled and I can gauge the feel of the piece yet though. No doubt, its going to be a weird gun to wield.

You could make a neck or shoulder sling if you wanted to carry it around in a convention setting to help distribute the weight better. It's probably too delicate for a con anyway though.

Nick

Out of curiosity, what are the parts you'd change? Your work is spectacular and I'd welcome the criticism!

Ah, and give away all my secrets? lol
Well, because the model is so low, and there are what appear to be huge discrepancies between the world view and player view, I think it allows quite a bit of interpretation. Thing is, Valve could reinterpret it themselves and while you call your high res model just one employees' interpretation it could very well be the direction they go in the next game, and in that case any differences I might have with it are rather moot.

Valve could reinterpret it themselves and while you call your high res model just one employees' interpretation it could very well be the direction they go in the next game, and in that case any differences I might have with it are rather moot.

heh, good point. While I don't have anything that verifies this as "canon" the guy that gave me the file is the guy who also made the models for the world and player views, so I'm willing to take his word for it!

Mo' work!

I went to ACE and bought $45 worth of hardware to bolt the whole gun together. Tons of little bushings, screws, nuts, washers.... fun stuff. I wanted black bushings, but the only nylon they had in stock was white. I recalled from my old R/C days that nylon parts could take dye, so I picked up a pack of black RIT and voila!

6387312233_ddddaa00a8_b.jpg

As for actual build stuff, I had an epiphany last night as I was going to bed about how to mount the lightbars. Holes were drilled in the facing edges of the bars, with countersunk screw holes in the front barrel assembly and relative holes drilled in the rear body. The front screws are hidden when the barrel is assembled, and the rears hide inside the body casing itself.

6387312443_edb3be24d0_b.jpg

6387312677_b55ec9131e_b.jpg

The result! Super rigid, really easy to mount, and the whole shebang can be disassembled if needed.

6387312875_7aba177f04_b.jpg

Its coming together! I should have the rear handle mount sorted and functioning by tomorrow evening.

6387313325_87e71383a8_b.jpg

Oh man this is cool. You know, I have access to a laser cutter. If you could get permission to share the file with a few people then I would be really grateful$$$

$? They were supposed to be exclamation points! Or were they?

Wooooooooo! Desert Bus! :D

So now that you've finally announced it, what are you expecting it to fetch? Should definitely beat your Portal Gun from last year's auction.

Wooooooooo! Desert Bus! :D

So now that you've finally announced it, what are you expecting it to fetch? Should definitely beat your Portal Gun from last year's auction.

I see someone was watching!

For those that weren't, the Gravity Gun will be auctioned off this year at the Penny Arcade Child's Play charity auction. If you've never heard of it, the charity revolves around the gaming community and helps children's hospitals around the world. Last year I donated one of my Portal Gun projects (#2 of 3) and this year I'll be selling this build (#1 of a planned 3)

To that end, I need to finish the thing quick because the auction December 8th! I have a self-imposed deadline of the first to try to keep me on track so I don't neglect the other things I need to have arranged before I head out to Seattle. No idea what it will go for, and I kind of prefer not to speculate... Below a certain amount though, I'll be bidding on it!

Onto the progress!

The mounting plate for the rear barrel section is sorted. I may have gone overboard with the anchors, but better safe than sorry. This section is removable to make wiring easier.

6387313033_cf107e6d7f_b.jpg

6392987201_7326ee8825_b.jpg

The hole there lines up with a 5/8" threaded rod embedded in the rear drum/handle assembly. That may look slightly off-center in the shot. Don't worry, it totally is. I can't explain why this was necessary without getting into way too much explanation about my own oversights on the build, but suffice to say everything on the outside of the gun lines up properly.

6392987979_b783f628a5_b.jpg

I spent WAY too much time building a small heat sink assembly on the bottom of the gun that nobody will ever see when its on its stand. Whatever, it still looks cool... I'm particularly happy with the mounting solution for this, which uses the rear cover as a mounting point so this assembly will be installed after the wiring is complete to hide all the electronics.

6392986663_cac7cb6e82_b.jpg

6392986907_a2692709e2_b.jpg

6392987819_77d5463ef2_b.jpg

6392987071_e348f816be_b.jpg

Blocks were added to the front barrel section to serve as mounting points for the light bar cages. I'm just making terms up here, really.

6393015603_595dd3a799_b.jpg

Also drilled out the LED holes in the main barrel beneath the light bars. Hopefully setting them back somewhat will help with hotspots a bit.

6392988495_669d43322d_b.jpg

A few more rough assemblies. Only screws holding it together now, no more tape! Also, with all the mounting points secure, I can now announce that this is an absolutely awful weapon design and holding it for anything longer than a couple of minutes is very uncomfortable. WOO!

6392988129_05de249db4_b.jpg

6392988323_75a0bdddb7_b.jpg

More to come as it happens

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back