Greg Jein Collection Hero X-Wing & more

I do not think you can download a PDF until the auction is over. Am I wrong? If a place to download the jein catalog exists now, please post the link.

I downloaded the PDF from their site a couple of weeks ago. So it was there at some point.

It’s there… go to auction main page and scroll down to “Other information “

Last edited:
I agree with and respect your view; which is why I'm glad you don't see the other 99% of the time. Handling the props with gloves is purely veneration theater. It's almost exclusively for TV/video segments. It doesn't matter if the prop is a thousand bucks or a million bucks. And that's at the auction houses. Before we consign stuff, it's even worse.

Gilt frames are the only thing gloves are really 100% required on.

It cracks me up on the "Star Wars Show" on the SW YT channel when they showcase props from a just-ended production. Not only white gloves, but the curator wouldn't even let the host put on a mando helmet. Someone was sweating in that thing just a couple months before!!

Ok so I’ve emailed them and I’ve followed what they asked and it still won’t let me buy a catalog and tells me I have an invalid phone number. Lol. Also they’ve gone up to $50 for a first catalog now and $25 every one after the first. These people take in huge revenue and have such a dodgy website. I don’t think I could trust big $ with them.

Last edited:
The TMP Klingon battlecruiser closeup engine has modeled-in damage at the rear. Why?
The working version of the Klingons vs V'ger scene in ST:TMP featured several alternate shots that eventually got dropped. Amongst them were a couple of shots where V'ger's whiplash bolt "digitalized" only a portion of the Klingon cruiser's engine pod. The pod was built with a special plug-in rear section so they could film it intact, then remove it and film it in the damaged condition. The shots were filmed and they even did the animation and composite work before they were dropped. My guess is that if the purpose of the scene was to show how powerful V'ger is and what a threat it is to Earth and the Enterprise, then there shouldn't be any doubt that you're dead meat on a stick if you get hit by a whiplash bolt.

The piece itself was stored under one of the Paramount stages till one day it was found - literally - in a dumpster. Someone recognized it, fished it out, and gave it Greg for safe keeping.

Gene

Gilt frames are the only thing gloves are really 100% required on.
It's not always just theater. The antiquarian book community goes nuts on this one. For many reasons, gloves a discouraged for books, as they can catch and tear the pages, etc... but for other objects, especially metal ones, cotton gloves are almost a necessity. Anything made of steel or iron, for example, can rust, and some quite valuable firearms have fingerprints etched into them because of careless handling.

Some props are weathered with powders or graphite, or have a finish that could be damaged by oils. When I do appraisals, it depends on the circumstances, but if I'm working on something worth a few times my yearly salary, I tend to err on the side of caution. Sometimes I use cotton gloves, sometimes nitrile, sometimes, I just avoid touching.

Sometimes, it's enough to have washed your hands recently... and I don't trust other peoples hygiene!

The piece itself was stored under one of the Paramount stages till one day it was found - literally - in a dumpster. Someone recognized it, fished it out, and gave it Greg for safe keeping.
A lot of props got saved like that. I knew several people who worked for studios from the 60s to the early 80s and they have all said they wished they'd fished out a lot of the stuff they saw tossed in dumpsters back in the day.
My understanding was either a production would rent stuff from prop or costume houses, or they'd make it in house. If they thought there would be a reason to keep it for something later (like in the case of anything from a Western or German WW2 themed movie), it'd go into studio holding. If NOT, it'd go to the trash.
One guy I knew later saw an auction like this and saw how much they were sold for. He said he almost had a stroke to see what old props and costumes were then going for.

Last edited:
Lots of goodies for the 2001 fans (and, dare I say, 2010:(:whistle:). Screen used astronaut full costume (the silver one) and a few key set pictures.
Like this one (unknown to me):cool::cool:o_O

1695823991062.png

Screen used astronaut full costume (the silver one) and a few key set pictures.
I know everyone is making such a big deal about the Red 5 model and Stormtrooper armor and all the Trek uniforms. And while those are amazingly cool, that 2001 suit is to me the biggest jaw-dropping item on this auction as I'd always been told nothing like that survived once the filming wrapped.

Really, I ordered it without a problem try again with your cell phone number
Yeah I only used my cell phone number. I’m Australian so it must be an issue with that.

I’ve been back and forth with them. Got to the point where they said they would do it manually through email. They asked what catalog I was after. I told them it was the Greg Jein collection. They sent an email back saying it would be $50 and would I like to go ahead with the order. I said yes and told them I’d pay with credit card or PayPal, whichever they prefer. They said credit card. I said ok. Then when I wanted to go ahead with the order and pay they said “oh we’ve actually run out of stock of that catalog “.

My reply was “ If only I could have ordered it a week and a half ago when I tried.”

You can’t make this stuff up. Lol.

Ben

Yeah I only used my cell phone number. I’m Australian so it must be an issue with that.

I’ve been back and forth with them. Got to the point where they said they would do it manually through email. They asked what catalog I was after. I told them it was the Greg Jein collection. They sent an email back saying it would be $50 and would I like to go ahead with the order. I said yes and told them I’d pay with credit card or PayPal, whichever they prefer. They said credit card. I said ok. Then when I wanted to go ahead with the order and pay they said “oh we’ve actually run out of stock of that catalog “.

My reply was “ If only I could have ordered it a week and a half ago when I tried.”

Ben
I can see the phone number part.... I'm in the USA and it was very easy to order compared to some sites I deal with...

They do have the PDF version you can download

Ben
I've run into problems like this a few times, usually with shipping companies. I have been known to use Google to find the phone number of a US store or somesuch, and entered that.....:whistle:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back