Grammy Award Replica

TK9336

Hey guys,

Long time since I've posted.

Here's a little write up on a Grammy Award I made. I wish I had just made a cast and sent that to chrome first since there are small imperfections, and I am pretty sure I don't want to go through that much smoothing again!

Basically its your simple tried and true formula of sanding and filling. The grammy started off as a 3D print done last minute for C2E2 and the grammaphone was filled in. Had to essentially scoop it out and sculpt a nice smooth interior.

2016-04-10_08-54-35 by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

That certainly won't do! Little did I know the nightmare I was walking into with working with a 3D print on PLA.

20160304_203755 by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Using a dremel proved really, really frustrating because before it could take any material off, it would melt. It made was should've been a days work, turn into a week's nightmare.

20160304_213955 by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Now, lets hit the fast forward button! Lots of microlite, lost patience, and primer later.

20160307_161447 by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

I reached out to Don who has done good work for me in the past. I chalk up the 3 day chrome window to the orange peel. (Why do I always do this at the last minute!?)

Little build log for my Grammy. 3D print | sculpting/filling | clean up | prime | chrome plating. by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

I need to repaint the base, but it was doable to walk around with:

Little build log for my Grammy. 3D print | sculpting/filling | clean up | prime | chrome plating. by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Of course it was for my ongoing library of Daft Punk costumes.

Grammy Award Winning Daft Punk at C2E2 by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

And here at C2E2 in Chicago:

Grammy Award Winning Daft Punk at C2E2 by [url=https://www.flickr

That turned out great. That's a replica prop I never thought I would see. I live 20 minutes from where they make the real ones too.

-Rog

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back