Got my MR Elite Edition Obi-Wan Kenobi Episode 1

CeSquared

Sr Member
I got my MR Elite Edition Obi-Wan Kenobi Episode 1 saber today.

I got #295 to go along with my #22 EE Luke ANH, and #747 EE Luke ROTJ.

For some reason I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. It is still a nice piece, and my favorite design.

Some observations...

- The "brass" valve is gold plated so it is a little shinier than I expected.

- The "Purple Hemi" gem is pretty clear with a slight purple-ish hue. I like the dark purple color of the replica valves we have seen for a few years.

- The grooves on the emitter section are much deeper than on any fan-made replica I've seen.

- The dimensions aren't that different than my Larbel SS. A little shorter perhaps and a little skinnier. I was expecting a big difference from what I had been reading.

- The pommel cubes are a little narrower than on the Larbel and are tapered.

Here are some pics with my Larbel Stainless Steel OWK E1 with JediVic valve. The MR really absorbs light so it looks much darker than it does in real life.

The MR EE is on top, the Larbel is on the bottom.

MR made a nice piece, but after seeing yours I'm glad I pasted on it. I'll definitely stick to my Larbel. For some reason MR feels they have to "shine" everything up..

Later JC

Originally posted by neosporing@Jan 27 2006, 05:21 AM
how do the two compare weight-wise?
[snapback]1169316[/snapback]​

They are comparable in terms of weight. I don't have a scale, but I'm guessing they are pretty close.

WTF.?

Are you sure the one on top is the MR, man? :lol The HK SS O is more accurate.

OK, OK. I'm not gonna get technical. I'm just going to say that you should trade in your MR Obi EE as soon as you get a chance because the grip section is either set backwards or is a defective one that was cut under a horizontally reversed set of specifications. Hence, the emitter end of the grip piece is shorter than the pommel end.

I honestly thought I was looking at the HK SS O when I saw the top saber. I honestly did. How is your HK SS O so accurate? It must one of the very last SS O's (hence unnumbered) produced. The only two super-accurate HK SS O's I've seen were purchased by JD Pilot and Hez. Did you buy that SS O from Hez 'cause I know he sold his long ago?

I agree. The black ridges look like they are too high up. Other MR EEs I have seen pics of don't have this inaccuracy.
The distance from the thick area below the grip to the first groove should be about 1 1/2 times the width of a ridge, not twice as wide.

Originally posted by Imperious825@Jan 27 2006, 07:48 AM
WTF.?

The only two super-accurate HK SS O's I've seen were purchased by JD Pilot and Hez.  Did you buy that SS O from Hez 'cause I know he sold his long ago?
[snapback]1169386[/snapback]​

My Larbel SS OWK is one of the two "super accurate" ones, but it is not Hez's. ;)

Yeah, like I said, I'm not all that impressed with the MR. I like my Larbel more. :D

Originally posted by Darth Lars@Jan 27 2006, 12:14 PM
I agree. The black ridges look like they are too high up. Other MR EEs I have seen pics of don't have this inaccuracy.
The distance from the thick area below the grip to the first groove should be about 1 1/2 times the width of a ridge, not twice as wide.
[snapback]1169457[/snapback]​

Dammit. I didn't notice that last night. You're right. That is just craptacular...

I'm wondering if it is even worth the hassle... :unsure

I'm not a big stickler but for $525 that is pretty disappointing.

Why are you guys surprised by this? ItÂ’s an EE addition. MR takes artistic license with the EEs just to make them as shinny & blingy as possible. After all the original prop didnÂ’t have a purple crystal in the hilt. If they want to stick a spork in the emitter end to make it look cooler then they will do it to the EE version. DonÂ’t buy an EE for it accuracy, because it wont be.

Originally posted by CeSquared+Jan 27 2006, 10:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CeSquared @ Jan 27 2006, 10:29 AM)</div>
I like my Larbel more.  :D
[snapback]1169571[/snapback]​
[/b]
How much would you let it go for? :D

Originally posted by CeSquared@Jan 27 2006, 10:44 AM
I'm wondering if it is even worth the hassle... :unsure
[snapback]1169585[/snapback]​
I suppose you could try to fix it yourself first. Does it look like the pommel can be safely removed to access the grip?

I wish they had just let Larry take care of the entire blueprinting for this saber. He nailed it before; he could easily do it again. :unsure

<!--QuoteBegin-Starkiller
@Jan 27 2006, 11:52 AM
Why are you guys surprised by this?  It’s an EE addition.  MR takes artistic license with the EEs just to make them as shinny & blingy as possible.  Don’t buy an EE for it accuracy, because it wont  be.
[snapback]1169625[/snapback]​
If you consider shine and 'bling' to be part of the overall quality, this would kind of defeat the purpose for having an Elite Edition because the last I checked, accuracy has always been an important aspect of quality in a prop.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back