GONK!

And the fourth layer is on:
View attachment 651531
View attachment 651532

In the meanwhile, when I am waiting when the enamel dries, I'm figuring out the purpose of the droid.
I think he could be good as a music box. Well, and what music? SW soundtrack?
I found as much in-universe songs as I could. Here's the list:
Cantina band #1
Cantina band #2
Cantina music from TCW S4E20
Dex's Diner
Seedy city swing from TCW Movie
Ziro's Nightclub band from TCW Movie
Jabba's Chamber dance from TCW Movie
Jabba's Baroque recital
Galactic dance blast
Lapti Nek
Jedi Rocks
Da Hutt Moda from TCW S3E09
Indian Pop Source from TCW S1E11
Hondo's band from TCW S1E11
Jabba Flow
Glory of the Empire from Rebels "Empire Day"
After every song plays a GONK sound.
I'll buy a small speaker and put it in the droid. Don't worry, I'll post a video when the gonk is finished ;)

Looking good :) getting near the end now.
if you want it to look nice and clean then you will have to grain fill with a wood filler, it would be much quicker than multiple primer layers. That's why mine is very very distressed.
It tipping backwards isn't a problem if it's against a wall, but again that's why mine has the little stabilers at the back. Gonk.

Yes, just the colour is missing. I will see, how will it look when I sand it. It's not tipping that much so it won't be a problem.

So the enamel didn't do what I expected and the grain is still visible. So, like spacebob wrote, I put bondo on the parts, where the grain could be clearly seen.
IMG_1562.JPG
IMG_1563.JPG
I will see, how does it look after sanding and probably incorporate it into the weathering...

Last edited by a moderator:
So the enamel didn't do what I expected and the grain is still visible. So, like @spacebob wrote, I put bondo on the parts, where the grain could be clearly seen.
View attachment 651834
View attachment 651835
I will see, how does it look after sanding and probably incorporate it into the weathering...

looking at the last picture i think you can pull it off with that texture. weather the heck out of it and i think that texture is going to help make it look old and beat up. i personally like the last 2 pictures

looking at the last picture i think you can pull it off with that texture. weather the heck out of it and i think that texture is going to help make it look old and beat up. i personally like the last 2 pictures

That is probably what I will do. I just bondoed the parts which screamed that they're wood. After sanding I will paint it and use the grain in weathering... Why make life more difficult? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about a couple of good thick layers of the lighter colour, then a thin layer of the darker colour. Then you can gently sand through the top coat till you get a good mix of the two, and free instant weathering at the same time if you go a little harsher on the edges/corners.
Always works for me :)

So jealous of this build. I've been wanting to start my own Gonk build but have been so busy with other projects that I haven't had the time to start.

How about a couple of good thick layers of the lighter colour, then a thin layer of the darker colour. Then you can gently sand through the top coat till you get a good mix of the two, and free instant weathering at the same time if you go a little harsher on the edges/corners.
Always works for me :)

I will definitely try it! Thanks :)

So jealous of this build. I've been wanting to start my own Gonk build but have been so busy with other projects that I haven't had the time to start.

I think I have seen your thread with the nice 3D printed restraining bolts, am I right?
But I hope you will start on him sometime :)

Well I'm now moving back to the city, so no room for a Gonk. I'll have to live vicariously through yours

I was staring on the droid today for a few minutes and after this session I think that I want to paint him with the brown. So I went for brown "chocolate" color spray paint. Due to bad weather I couldn't paint him today.
Plus who doesn't want to have a chocolate Gonk droid?
Then I'm thinking about some symbols with whom I can decorate him. I'm torn apart:
Rebel Alliance starbird?
rebel-symbol.jpg
Rogue One symbol?
9L8oflU.png
Hondo Ohnaka gang symbol?
Hondo_Ohnaka_pirate_symbol.png
I think these all look cool, just choose. Maybe when Rogue One is coming in December I should choose that one, but I don't know...
Well, I'm so excited about it that I have even been to London's Canary Wharf tube station where certain scenes were filmed:
_MG_1107.JPG
So maybe I'll go with that one... :)
But I will be more than happy to hear your opinions!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back