GONK!

Torron

As you've probably figured out, for my summer project I decided to do another droid. And this time it'll be the Gonk droid!
I was searching through the forum and saw a Gonk made out of wood, not from two storage bins. So, I will make mine from wood aswell...

I've bought supplies:
This is for the legs: an aluminium tube
IMG_1314.JPG
the plywood:
IMG_1313.JPG

And here are cut the main panels, I just must take dremel on them:
IMG_1317.JPG

I just wanna build a GONK ;) I, however, will be using the storage bins.
I will be following your build with great interest. Good luck :thumbsup

I wanna make a wood Gonk bad! Will be following with interest.

do you have blue prints?

Sure, here it is:
64db537b706ca438995448596fa8d96a.jpg

I used the blue prints of spacebob and changed them a little...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 64db537b706ca438995448596fa8d96a.jpg
    64db537b706ca438995448596fa8d96a.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 165
Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanna build a GONK ;) I, however, will be using the storage bins.
I will be following your build with great interest. Good luck :thumbsup

Thanks! Good luck in building yours! I wanted to use the storage bins aswell, but I haven't found good ones... So I decided for wood [emoji6]

I thought I recognised those shapes, glad there's another gonk coming along.
please remember that the dimensions that I gave are for mine, I have tried to workout how big the real things are but in the end I said it should be just shorter than my artoo (I gave up).
Then I made it a little wider to accommodate the records.
To make it more accurate I would make the overall width narrower, or, make it taller and longer while leaving the width.
as I said on my thread the hole in the front of mine is too large (if you intend to run a lip around the edge).
Oh, and yes it is heavy :)

I thought I recognised those shapes, glad there's another gonk coming along.
please remember that the dimensions that I gave are for mine, I have tried to workout how big the real things are but in the end I said it should be just shorter than my artoo (I gave up).
Then I made it a little wider to accommodate the records.
To make it more accurate I would make the overall width narrower, or, make it taller and longer while leaving the width.
as I said on my thread the hole in the front of mine is too large (if you intend to run a lip around the edge).
Oh, and yes it is heavy :)

Hello, I think I made it a little taller and the front hole is a bit smaller than yours, even though I'm not going to make a lip.
Yes, it is heavy!
Just a question: how did you make the middle belt?
Thank you [emoji846]

Soooo, progress!
The droid has been put together and the "face" was made:
Image1467478713.938253.jpg
Image1467478689.551328.jpg

Making the faceplate:
Image1467478625.635243.jpgImage1467478648.413445.jpg

Tomorrow the feet, I hope [emoji846]

I think HAL has gotten into my computer, having image trouble.

I've lots more photos and with the interest I've had about wanting to make these I think its finally time to give him his own thread don't you?
If i can fix hosting :)

I think HAL has gotten into my computer, having image trouble.

I've lots more photos and with the interest I've had about wanting to make these I think its finally time to give him his own thread don't you?
If i can fix hosting :)

That's a brilliant idea! [emoji4]
Soon, there will be an army of Gonks, all following your design. It is only matter of time...

One more thing that is different on mine to the real prop...

On mine (and yours now) there is a rebate on the top connecting the two side rebates/flutes.
I did it this way because of the 1970s action figure is like that and I liked it.
On the real thing they don't connect and just stop at the top :)

this has come together great!! i am a huge GONK fan. i have been researching the past couple of months i can't find any rubber bins that look good enough. i appreciate you posting those plans I'm going to follow them.

what thickness plywood did you go with? it looks like 1/2"?

keep up the great work! can't wait to see it finished

this has come together great!! i am a huge GONK fan. i have been researching the past couple of months i can't find any rubber bins that look good enough. i appreciate you posting those plans I'm going to follow them.

what thickness plywood did you go with? it looks like 1/2"?

keep up the great work! can't wait to see it finished

I love GONKs too. As you, I was also searching for bins for months, but I haven't found good ones.
The plywood is 9 mm thick (I don't know in inches, Google says 0,354 in).
Good luck in building yours! [emoji4]

I love GONKs too. As you, I was also searching for bins for months, but I haven't found good ones.
The plywood is 9 mm thick (I don't know in inches, Google says 0,354 in).
Good luck in building yours! [emoji4]

thank you, its funny here in the states we have say 1/2" plywood but it measures much smaller then 1/2". just like our construction material our 2x4 wood studs are advertised and sold as 2x4, yet they measure 1-1/2 by 3-1/2 lol

.354 is close to 3/8th plywood. if 3/8th is purchased its probably close to .354

thank you for your advice! I'm really itching to do this

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back