Ghostsoldier's Snape Build v.1 (Pic intensive!)

Just wanted to say thanks for this post. All the pictures were a huge help in making my own costume.

Quick question, though. I see we both thought McCall's Civil War uniform pattern was the best choice, but did you have problems with the sleeves, too?

Just wanted to say thanks for this post. All the pictures were a huge help in making my own costume.

You are most welcome. :cool

Quick question, though. I see we both thought McCall's Civil War uniform pattern was the best choice, but did you have problems with the sleeves, too?

I hate to admit it, but I haven't gotten that far, yet. I've been spending a lot of time upgrading my Mandalorian armor, and just making a living. Although I haven't given up on Snape, it looks like the premiere of part 2 of the Deathly Hallows in 2011 is my next target....

And yes, those folks I know who used the McCall's pattern for the base coat, all said the sleeves had to be redesigned to work adequately. :cool

BTW...do you have photos of your Snape costume you could post?

Rob

You are most welcome. :cool

I hate to admit it, but I haven't gotten that far, yet. I've been spending a lot of time upgrading my Mandalorian armor, and just making a living. Although I haven't given up on Snape, it looks like the premiere of part 2 of the Deathly Hallows in 2011 is my next target....

Doooo iiiiit. I was the only one dressed up out of three showings at my local theater at midnight. >_>

And yes, those folks I know who used the McCall's pattern for the base coat, all said the sleeves had to be redesigned to work adequately. :cool

Great, it's always good to know it's not just me. ^_^

BTW...do you have photos of your Snape costume you could post?

Rob

I have a couple, but I'm not proud of them. I tried using that halloween temp spray color to humor my mom's protests not to dye my hair black.

I'm still scrubbing the bathroom.

Anyway.

Snape-ified%20003.jpg

Snape-ified%20004.jpg

Awww yeah. Check out that black haze on my face. Three shampooings at 3 am is always fun.

After some thinking that shouldn't have been that hard, I turned all the pleats into vents thanks to your notes and caps. And once I got 4 yards of fabric loaded onto the back of the robe, I had to hide a strap at the shoulders that went down under my arms and around the back so it wouldn't slide back.

Oh, also, remember to count and measure right when you put the buttons on the jacket. I goofed and ended up with 13 instead of 12. :rolleyes

Well, despite the troubles you had, MacPhisto, that's a damn fine looking Snape outfit!

You should be proud....that's some excellent work! :thumbsup

I'm envious! :cool

Rob

Probably the fact that it's fully-lined, too.

Also, with the pattern I used, it tapers out from the waist a bit, and that's a bit wily to try and get into longer pieces of fabric.

And, aesthetics. Breaks it up a bit, and contributes to a nicer hang.

Last edited:
Wow CallMeMacPhisto that costume looks great! Well done!

I started my own project to sew a Snape costume a couple of weeks ago.
First goal will be to complete the jacket, than probably do a long skirt instead of the trousers, as I'm a woman and why not do a female version of Snape and at last do the robe.
Started with the research on a pattern and as you ended up with McCALL'S M4745 Men's Civil War coat. The first test version of the Snape jacket (using an old sheet) to adapt the pattern to my body size (less shoulders and waist as the small McCall's pattern) is nearly done. The jacket body is ready and now fits me well, still have to adapt the arms, so that they are skinny on the forearm and have room for the buttons. Then I would love to start with the final fabric.
But I'm very unsure what fabric to use for the jacket, went to several fabric shops but still don't know what to buy. There are pure new wool and synthetic fabrics in different thickness and structure and non of them could convince me to be the perfect material. Who would know what the original one was made of. Is there a part of stretch in it? It always fits perfect, nearly never does any wrinkles. That's what fascinates me most.
Want to get a real good fitting jacket as I'm thinking of wearing it on "normal" occasions too, probably will do a second short skirt for that.

Am I right on assuming that there are 4 coat-tails with now overlap as in the McCall's pattern. There are nearly no pictures of Snape's back and watching the DVD's wasn't much help a lot of the films are dark and the jacket is black. Only found a couple of scenes, HP2 the dueling with Lockhart is one of the best for analyzing the jacket.

Any ideas what fabric would be the best to use for the jacket?

Expelliarmus,
Welcome to the Unofficial Snape Costuming Fan Club! We would love to see some pics of your outfit! :thumbsup

I like the skirt idea; Snape is always open for interpretation...he belongs to everyone!

Glad you could get the McCall pattern to work; I'll be interested to hear your experiences with modifying it. As far as the most accurate coat fabric goes, I personally believe it to be pure wool...I, too, think it has to be a certain weight to be correct, but so far in my research of fabrics, suiting wool has proven itself to have the necessary natural body and draping qualities for Snape's jacket. It also has a bit of natural "flex/stretch" to it, which is why it's used for suiting. Of course, it's probably the most expensive material per yard to costumes with, too. :rolleyes

As far as coat tails, my research reveals there to be only 2 of them; although there are no clear photos of Snape from the rear, sans robes, the pattern used seems to fit a traditional styling of men's coats in the early 19th century; that is, it would have a split in the center rear as a matter of style (for sitting, riding, etc.)...the other split being in the front, under the button placket. I have seen no evidence of any splits in the sides of his coat skirt. Here are a few pics that show the panels in action:

snape_costume.jpg

BIGsnape1.jpg

fullfrontensemble2.jpg

arlookspissed.jpg

hbp_officiallstills_24.jpg

filmcdsphtpromo006.jpg

enigmadoprincipe_stills_hq6.jpg

I have reason to believe that if there were 4 divisions, the sides of the jacket would not hang as stiff or straight as shown in these photos.

I also personally believe the duel scene with Lockhart shows Snape's coat to be covering his right leg as he lunges forward (the white "line" is a glare of the light, not a split)......

SS00040.jpg

split.jpg

....the left side of his coat appears to be solid, because of the position of the front of the coat with his body...there's not enough fabric in the panel to have another split. Does this make sense?

Of course.....I could be completely wrong. :cool

Rob

For those who haven't seen it, Museum Replicas is now offering a Snape outfit for around 400 bucks (with no shoes)...here are a few shots of it:

mr1.jpg

mr2.jpg

mr3.jpg

mr4.jpg

mr5.jpg

mr6.jpg

mr8.jpg

mr9.jpg

mr10.jpg

mr11.jpg

mr14.jpg

mr15.jpg

mr16.jpg

It actually looks pretty decent, color-wise...here are my few complaints:

Coat material looks 'off'
Upper sleeves look too sloppy
Coat pockets and flaps too bulky
Robe material too thin

But, for that much money, I think I'll make my own; plus, it's more fun! :cool

Rob

Thanks, Expelliarmus! I don't know if you caught it, but there's another thread where someone's doing a female take on Snape. It's great, and should be within the last couple pages.

With mine, I did turn them into vents, and it had a wonderful movement when I got my Snape on when walking. But, if you leave the sides solid and pull the pleat flat to the back, you'll have more room to put in pockets, which, kind of is my one biggest problem with how mine turned out.

Also, LOOK OUT FOR THE SLEVES. McCall's didn't mark the lining properly, so you're going to have to fudge where you gather/ease.

After flipping through fan pics, hit a sale and make your own fabric-covered buttons. I've seen several others, and it's almost distracting to use plastic buttons. Really, hit a sale. 1/4 of my costume money was on the buttons alone, and that was without the pants.

Ghostsoldier, you're too right, it is more fun to do it yourself. I hadn't had that much fun sewing (when the pattern wasn't fighting me) since I'd made my Jedi robes in HS.

Curious, what are you guys figuring on for the robe sleeves and front?

Too bad those pants are without suspenders. Would've been a great bit to go along with the character.

After flipping through fan pics, hit a sale and make your own fabric-covered buttons. I've seen several others, and it's almost distracting to use plastic buttons. Really, hit a sale. 1/4 of my costume money was on the buttons alone, and that was without the pants.

I agree....that's the best, and most SA, way to do it.

Curious, what are you guys figuring on for the robe sleeves and front?

What do you mean, Mac? Pattern-wise, or fabric?

Too bad those pants are without suspenders. Would've been a great bit to go along with the character.

I have considered using the California pattern by Laughing Moon...

Laughing Moon Mercantile - Purveyors of Sewing Pattterns, Clothing and Accessories

I believe that could be modified without too much effort, and they have the buttons for those cool suspenders! :)

Rob

I also personally believe the duel scene with Lockhart shows Snape's coat to be covering his right leg as he lunges forward (the white "line" is a glare of the light, not a split)......
I'm not exactly sure what white line/glare that you're talking about, but what I see are multiple splits. I can see the pattern on the floor through them.​
Maybe he's wearing a ''stunt'' coat that let's him move around more freely for the physical dueling stances in that particular scene.​
After looking at all these different pictures of Snape, I'm seeing two different suits, one blue and one black, most are blue though. I think the black suit might be an earlier version, but it's definitely black.​
That Museum Replicas suit looks cheap and sloppy. $400 isn't that much, but it's more than what that suit looks like it's worth.​

Thank's for the pictures of the museums replica suit, but for that much money I would have expected something mor accurate. The material seams much too thin with too many folds.

I still think there might be 4 tails of the code. But it also could be pleats. I only can think of too times in the films, when Snape is wearing only his jacket and seen from the back, the dueling scene in HP2.
SnapeHP2.jpg

And the scene in HP4 where he is standing on the ladder in the small portions room searching for a bottle of Veritaserum but its very dark there. Have to look at that one again.

As soon as I have something to show I will post it. Right now there are only a sketch of how I think I will build the outfit and the test version body of the test jacket.

Alternations of the McCall's pattern have been the shoulders had to shorten them and to change the angle. The rest was manly on the size, as the small pattern was still to large for me, and of course that I'm a woman I had to ad a seam in the front to have room for my female curves. ;-)
The arms had to be reduced on the forearm so that they are tight there.

That may be a pleat line....look here:

2008_harry_potter_and_the_half_bloo.jpg

I'm reviewing the CoS dueling scene footage now; I'll throw up some snaps, if I can get some clear evidence of what the coat does.

Rob

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back