Ghostsoldier's Snape Build v.1 (Pic intensive!)

Yes CallMeMacPhisto I saw that thread with the female Snape version after I had posted here. I like it, but she has done a little bit too much alternations. But looks great in that jacket and has used the right fabric.

That's how I'm planing on doing it:
SnapeFV.jpg

No pleats 4 real tails. The front tail goes around until to the first seam that comes down from the arm on the back and then a small tail till to the middle of the back seam and the same on the other side.
May bee I will try that on my test version first. Didn't intend so till now, but might be a good try, that the tails don't fly around to much and so I might switch to pleats as well at least in parts.

That's why I love this stuff.....it's always a learning experience, and the input is awesome! :thumbsup

I must revise my own thinking, and come to the conclusion that I have been looking at the coat all wrong, in the aspect of the tails: It is apparent that it definitely has 4 tails....those side "pleats" are actually vents...the pic Expelliarmus posted:

SnapeHP2.jpg

...definitely shows Snape's butt-cheek poking out of the coat....:D My thanks to you who have persevered in the pursuit of perfection!

As far as the robes go, I'm using the 1898 pattern for the Theological/Undergraduates gown (first three patterns as shown here at the top left page):

73.jpg

And the yoke pleating:

70.jpg

All of which can be found here:

The Costumer's Manifesto:* The Cutter's Practical Guide to the Cutting and Making of all Kinds of Lounge Jackets , also Robes Hoods and Gowns (1898)

This robe, with mods to the sleeves (just a split) and the back yoke, looks really close to SA. I have actually drafted an AutoCad/PDF file of this pattern, if anyone would like a copy....

Rob

Last edited:
Yeah, a PDF would be neat to see what direction you're going.

Are you gonna go with cartridge pleating? I just did a bunch of gathering, I didn't feel like doing a bunch of hand work. >_>

I'm going to try cartridge pleating...if it doesn't drive me nuts! :confused

Here are the pdf files of my robe research; you may have to modify the sizing to make it work for yourself (I'm 6 feet tall):

This is my worksheet....
Snape Robe patterns worksheet.pdf

This is the assembly sheet....
Snape Robe pattern assembly.pdf

This is the 1898 pattern, drawn using the actual dimensions listed....
1898 Image dimensions pattern.pdf

And this is the 1898 pattern, traced using AutoCad; they don't match the dimensioned version exactly, but they are close....
1898 Image tracings pattern.pdf

Hope these help. :)
Rob

Rob,

I'd seen the Museum Replica outfit also. To me it seems that the coat buttons are a little large and the lowest one should be right on the seam. The color does appear to be a little too blue; most of the movie pictures/images I've seen and the outfit I saw at the HP exhibit suggest a dark dark indigo-purple color. (Of course - my completed outfit is black with no plans of ever changing it :) )

I used the Laughing Moon pants pattern as well. I had a local tailor sew it though. So as to make the lower leg part sort of bunch-up on the boots, we end up adding a button loop inside the pant legs and added a small button to my boots. I'll have to get pictures of that.

And I do wear suspenders to hold up the pants! :lol

Mike

Oooh, I like your idea of going with a kimono-style sleeve. Great place to stash your wand!

Are you going to go navy with the coat and pants, or black?

ATL...I'd like to see the detail of your LM pants, when you get the time....:cool

Mac...I'm looking for a deep navy suiting wool for the coat and pants (at a reasonable per-yard price, of course :)); I have a lightweight black synthetic already secured for the robes...not too thin that you can see through it (like the MR version), but not too thick (so it flows correctly)...:thumbsup

Rob

so I actually made a female snape coat for myself a while ago and I've been working on a male snape coat and pants right now for a customer. Here are some pics I have of the jacket at the moment. It's being sent out right now to a tailor because I hate hemming and it needs to be delinted and pressed. There are a couple of small things with it that I wish were different but this is my first snape coat and the customer wearing it is wearing it as an actual everyday outfit and so I had to do some alterations that forced me to think creatively lol. For example he wanted the pocket flaps to be actual pockets which was a pain....the only way i could think of making them actual pockets was by making the welt pockets underneath the flap. He also wanted the coat to be black black....lol....I know that was one of the issues of screen accuracy when replicating this coat. So ya.....there's a few tailoring issues (mainly the waist seam) that could be a bit cleaner and I wish I had the slightly larger flat buttons but I only have a press for 5/8" buttons....annnnd.....well I'm sure there are other nitpicky things but overall Im pleased with how it's turning out. I can't wait to finish the pants and get this outfit on someone to take some quick portfolio shots. I thought about creating my own thread for this but I know that everyone hates new threads being done of costsumes that are already being talked about so I though Id put my pics here.....hope you don't mind and if anyone has any opinions on the jacket please let me know!

lots of pics coming:

fullfrontwithbuttons.jpg

fullback.jpg

frontcloseup.jpg

frontcloseupwithsleeve.jpg

fullside.jpg

backpleats.jpg

weltpocket.jpg

insidepocketlining.jpg

lining.jpg

Love the detail on the back! Looks great!

Aren't the plackets and buttons on the sleeve a b*tch? :lol

Nice job!

RRR

Thanks! Lol! Ya the sleeves are the worst! Although I've made quite a few of my female snape coats that I have the process of the sleeves down so they don't pose as much of a trouble. The biggest issue is that if the length is wrong there is no way to adjust for it without having to remake the sleeves entirely......that's a scary thing when all your orders are done online lol!

That looks great. Are you doing the outer robe as well? Can't wait to see the whole ensemble if you are

I wish I had the foggiest how to tackle something like that as I'd love to give it a go, but can just about sew a button on something :lol

He also wanted the coat to be black black....lol....I know that was one of the issues of screen accuracy when replicating this coat.
Such a pity. You've done an amazing job and I think if you'd have done it in the dark blue he would have ended up with the most accurate one I think I've seen to date.

Great work Eveningarwen

That looks great. Are you doing the outer robe as well? Can't wait to see the whole ensemble if you are

I wish I had the foggiest how to tackle something like that as I'd love to give it a go, but can just about sew a button on something :lol

Such a pity. You've done an amazing job and I think if you'd have done it in the dark blue he would have ended up with the most accurate one I think I've seen to date.

Great work Eveningarwen

no im not doing the outer robe. This is literally going to be this customers everyday jacket/outfit at times so the robe wasn't really practical lol. I'm glad to because im not the biggest fan of the robe, I know thats what makes snape snape.....but ya.....i like him better in just this outfit. But I am making the pants!

Eveningarwen,

First off, I want to say how awesome your Snape coat looks! :thumbsup The detail is excellent....I can see you take pride in your work!

I'm curious as to why your client would want this for everyday wear....is he, perhaps, a professor or teacher? An actor or historian? It's just that you don't hear a request like this everyday....:cool

Pattern....I'm curious as to what pattern you used to make this; I see the coat has 3 vents.....

And yes.....it's perfectly OK to post your pics here in this thread; I'm all about "Snapeyness", and the more folks making Snape, the merrier! :lol

Rob

BTW, I just picked up a new Snape costume wand, but it's NOT a Noble; my camera batteries just died, so I'll post some pics of it later this afternoon, along with a critique of the quality...:cool

Thanks so much! I am a detail freak and the only times I leave out detail are because of budget. I try to focus on the details I know I can recreate and make as perfect as possible and then do the best I can on the rest. But I am always looking at my work going "ARGH!! I could have done this part better!!" It's also hard to because sometimes you don't realize something is off until the garment is mostly finished and you can't really go back and change it. But then I guess that's why you only get better the more times you do something.

The customer lives in Europe and he's a really cool guy but I have no idea what he does for a living. He seems pretty young. I think he may be a bit geeky though (if you're reading this my friend that is a good thing!). When he asked me to make this I asked if it was for halloween or a party and he said nope he just liked the look and the character. When he asked me to do the pants too I said that the jacket alone would possibly pass as normal but the outfit together will probably read snape and he said that was what he was kind of going for hehehe. I say all the more power to him.....it's a rad outfit. He's got longish hair as well, but not black unfortunately hahaha.

As for the pattern I used the civil war jacket pattern from McCalls or butterick, one of those, but then I altered the heck out of it. Also because the sleeves are so fitted I actually used a woman's victorian blouse sleeve and altered the that like crazy too. If I ever make this jacket again I'm going to alter the front and side back skirt panel more to make it wider so it overlaps and underlaps more. Right now there is just a split up the side but I would like it to be a bit more hidden and only seen with movement that there is a split. I'll definitely post pics of the pants as well when they are done.

I need to get me a snape wand for my girl snape jacket! I should get one before july 25 so i can wear my jacket and have my wand and be the biggest geek in the world at the movie hehehe.

Eveningarwen,

First off, I want to say how awesome your Snape coat looks! :thumbsup The detail is excellent....I can see you take pride in your work!

I'm curious as to why your client would want this for everyday wear....is he, perhaps, a professor or teacher? An actor or historian? It's just that you don't hear a request like this everyday....:cool

Pattern....I'm curious as to what pattern you used to make this; I see the coat has 3 vents.....

And yes.....it's perfectly OK to post your pics here in this thread; I'm all about "Snapeyness", and the more folks making Snape, the merrier! :lol

Rob

BTW, I just picked up a new Snape costume wand, but it's NOT a Noble; my camera batteries just died, so I'll post some pics of it later this afternoon, along with a critique of the quality...:cool

Well, here's your chance to pick up a cheap Snape wand...:thumbsup

I bought this from a guy on eBay, and it only cost 9.50 USD (shipping not included). It's obviously a resin copy of a Noble wand....at a fraction of the cost! It takes a little sanding and flash trimming, but it's a nice repro...

S6307528.jpg

S6307535.jpg

A while back, I was going to carve my own...but, as things happen, I don't have the time to do that...SO....I looked for an alternative. This one will work for a while, until I decide to spend more $$$ to pick up a Noble wand. I'll be painting it this week, and I'll post more pics.

Rob

Last edited:
Hate to be a wet blanket here, but it is against RPF policy for members to do trade in recast merchandise. The Noble Collection wands can still be purchased in stores and online - they're not some long lost artifact that is unavailable any other way.

I encourage you to make your own wand - I did, and it took some time and will never be as perfect as something like the Noble, but unlike a recast or the Noble original, it is not brittle cast resin. I made mine using the well-known Instructables paper tube method, reinforced inside and out with five minute epoxy, and with details sculpted in Apoxie Sculpt.

It may not be perfect, but it is durable, and I'm proud to have crafted it myself.

If you're going to go to all that trouble to custom-make the costume, make yourself a wand. You'll feel good about it.

RRR

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back