I would like to post my pictures as well. I've been looking and hoping that there was a Severus Snape thread on here. He's one of the more popular, and more difficult, characters to costume as and I couldn't help but join the bandwagon. He's my absolute favorite character.
The pictures I'm going to post are actually version 2.0 of my Snape costume. The first one was made by a dear friend of mine and I outgrew it (sadly). I kind of use the cloak as a blanket now and then, haha! My fiancee made me this version for the final film.
The coat and cloak are both made of different fabrics. The coat is suiting and the cloak is cotton linen (and it flows nicely). The arms have all nine buttons and all are functional. The chest is inaccurate as it only has nine buttons, but it gives the illusion that I have them all, and the collar still flares nicely. Even though it's not perfect, I'm happy with just how accurate we were able to make it.
And the movie was amazing. Best crowd I've ever had in a theater. I know it was forever ago, but it was one of the best costuming experiences I've had. The feedback I received was amazing.
Hope you like! (Sorry that the last two are huge! But I wanted to show the back of the coat since it's done in more of an old English frock coat-type style. It's the only picture I have of it. I also wanted to show the swallow tail in the cloak.)
Like a lot of things in life, my waistline size has crept up on me unawares in the last couple of years, and now I feel I'm a bit too portly (read: fat) to do ol' Snape justice; lucky for me, my metabolism is such that I can slim back down pretty quick (when I feel like it), so I hope to get him completed sometime this year (although I must say, Mr. Rickman was a bit heavy himself in his last incarnations of Severus, lol!)
I do so enjoy holiday eating, though, so I've got to get to that mental state where I want to do something about it...I've put it on, now I've got to get it off...but I feel confident I will do it.
Once I do, it's back to the costume...in the mean time, I like keeping track of the other Snapey goings-on around me!
I hope it is OK to post on this thread. I have started doing a Snape costume for Melbourne Supanova 2014. I have also had to do a Bellatrix dress and leather corset for my daughter. Looks like I won't get the robe and the trousers done but hopefully I will get that sorted by Sydney Supanova in June. LIke some of the other Snape costumes here I have based my jacket on a ACW enlisted officer's frock coat with adjustments the the waistline, the collar, the sleeve length and the sleeve vent. I have also put a quilted lining into the jacket so that the front of it stays nice and flat. I will post some pictures soon.
Here are some pics of the build as far as it has progressed so far. The first ones are of my daughters Bellatrix dress. Made of linen. Hand painted silver spirals that fade to grey after a wash. The spirals on the sleaves (which have already been washed) are embroidered with silver thread.
I have posted a pic of the pattern I used for the jacket and following are some pics of the canvas/cotton wadding/drill sandwiched bodice lining for the jacket. Fly out tomorrow night for the expo so still a fair amount of work to get done. That being said, the jacket has progressed significantly since these pics were taken but I haven't taken any pics yet.
Here are some pics of the jacket. Made of suiting wool which normally cost about A$40 per metre but which I bought on sale for $5 about 10 years ago ("I am sure I will find a use for that one day"). Cloth covered buttons. I intend to make a shirt but that will have to wait for the Sydney Expo (when hopefully I will have trousers done as well - that's in June. For the meantime I am just going to sew false sleeve cuffs into the jacket.
These are some pictures of the four pockets. There are two inside breast pockets which are roughly 140mm x 180mm. Then there are two deep pockets hidden in the back of the frock which are big enough for a potions book. The fabric and the lining are both very dark so it may be hard to see the opening in the back. The front pocket flaps are for show only - I think the look of the front would be ruined by trying to hang pockets off the woollen frock piece. I still have a robe to make and I don't even have the fabric yet and our flight leaves in 12 hours. I had better get to it.
Obliquely Snape related is the Bellatrix dress I am making for my daughter. I washed it yesterday and the painted spirals faded out as planned. I have started embroidering the spirals in silver but I have never done free motion embroidery before so it isn't as great as it should be. Mind you a good machine is fantastic to make up for lack of skill. I am using a Singer 631G (made in 1967 - best machine ever). It easy sewed through 13 layers of canvas, wool, wadding and drill when I attached the bodice/lining/collar to my Snape jacket and never missed a stitch. The dress will need to be distressed a bit more to make it right and, once again, should be perfect for the Sydney expo in June.