GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

Even that is stupid though, never saw that episode, at least I dont remember it. Man. Just when you think this movie cant get any worse...

Hey NeilT, I read all that stuff, there is no way thats true. This book that youre reading, its based on the actual film? I dont want to believe that stuff is true/accurate.

nah, the RGB episode was actually good, even though the animation isn't. only link i could find was a foreign language version ;o)

The book is so beyond bad, i won't feel terrible for returning it and getting my money back.
I'm currently up to the big ghost battle....and..

There is just NOTHING too this movie! The Dialogue isn't interesting. you don't care for the characters. stuff happens illogically just to try and move the small plot forward. the movie assumes you've seen the first two already.

I'm taking screen shots of the most Groan worthy stuff...plan to finish it in a bit just to beat the return limit..

I know it's a kids book, but having seen a paul feig movie before, I DOUBT the real movie is any less better!

Last edited by a moderator:
A radio personality/blogger/comedian acquaintance of mine just saw a screening in the UK. He's under studio embargo on reviews, but someone on Facebook asked if it's enjoyable. "Yes. Very." was his response. Take that for what you will. Don't shoot the messenger. :lol

...plan to finish it in a bit just to beat the return limit..
Classy.

Last edited:
Well,
after a quick speed read -
Rowan Returns from the dead and possesses mcarthy through the sink.
- smashes the proton packs and gets knocked out by 'the power'
- 'upgrades' to kevin and goes to unleash his device
- get this . the ARMY has a giant PROTON CANNON. apparently they and the ghostbusters developed the same technology magicaly.
Rather than doing any good, because they don't know what the situation is, all the cannon does is destryo the building.
- Rowan as kevin possesses the army and makes them dance to a bee jees song.
-Rowan Taunts the ghostbusters 'And it was nice NOT knowing you'
- Rowan releases kevin at the hotel and mocks them by transforming into the ghost we see in the trailer. then suddenly grows to monster size.
-somehow time travel happens, and they get transported to the 70s.
- Rowan gets injured and limps down a street looking for them.
- the ghostbusters hide behind a dumpster too make a plan. crossing the streams magically gets brought up. they plan to lure rowan into the portal.
- this is where mcarthy shoots him in the ghost groin to lure him back to the portal.
- mcarthy jumps into the portal, rowan follows her. portal closes. but somehow mcarthy comes back through.
- after the portal sucks all the ghosts and rowan back to their own dimension, abby's hair turns WHITE from seeing it. Ala Poltergeist, ala RGB episode (I have never seen line)

-stupid mayor says something stupid. clearly far more intelligent lady aide says something significant. says can't thank them publicly because public is 'already moving on and forgetting'....but 'need to be better prepared, so anything you need'.
- ghostbusters get firehouse as reward. This is where Ernie Hudsons cameo comes in looking for his hearse.
- This is where Sigourney Weaver magically pops up for no reason at all as McKinnons 'mentor'....
- the book ends with the empire state building somehow lighting up a picture of their logo. not colors of logo, but actual picture.

the end.

I also forgot that Slimer comes in at the end. he steals their car and goes in a joyride with a bunch of ghosts.
he kind of helps save the day by driving it to the portal. seems crossing the streams wasn't powerful enough to reverse the portal on it's own, they needed the ghost bombs left in the car. slimer drives it, they explode it, car falls into other dimension. boom.

Don't kid yourself. this is your typical badly planned paul feig movie through and through.
book returned so i don't reward them.

ugh... i wish there was a spoiler button ;o)
reading further..

Patty just kind of forces herself on the team and she doesn't even really know what the company does. 'I thought this was going to be like a book club!'
- There is no containment unit that we can see so far. the feigbusters trap the concert ghost and just bring it back to their resturaunt.
- Kevin wants to leave early to join a hide and seak tournament, where he is winning...
- Kevin can't even bother to remember the high tech name of the company

- Bill Murray's character does indeed get picked up by a concert ghost and get thrown out the window
- The police get called in, and after not believing their story, are about to arrest them when government officials come in and....take them to the mayors office for some reason?
-There is a male mayor, but he's clearly just a dumb figure head. the female aid is painted to be clearly in charge and running the city over him. for some reason the FBI has been investigating the paranormal, and after thanking the ghostbusters, wants to discredit them so as not to cause mass hysteria? the whole scene didn't make sense.
- the feigbusters deduce that rowan is behind this after patty recognizes him from a photo. somehow wig deduces that the sightings follow ley lines (despite only being told two sightings) and they follow those ley lines to 'the most haunted hotel in the city'. they then bring up the photo from the companies website and head there.
- Patty's cousin got killed in the middle of the street there, but, she doesn't care because he was 'just a dumb male'.
- another condescending male hotel clerk meets them and sends them to rowans underground apartment.
- for some reason the police arrive for no reason. and, rather than get caught with his device to amplify the paranormal, he electrocutes himself.
- The ghostbusters get arrested, the mayors aid throws some lame insults at them to the press, they get let go outside and go to 'celebrate a victory'.
- wiggs characater brings proton pack to columbia university, tries to get re instated, head guy there acts like jerk, gets her thrown out.

not one likeable guy in this whole movie. par for the course with paula feig. There are SO many groan worhty moments, bound to be worse...

Ok, so, this book...um....what is it? Official novelization of the film? The one from Stacy Deutsch? If so...then your plot breakdown is...disappointing.

-There is a male mayor, but he's clearly just a dumb figure head. the female aid is painted to be clearly in charge and running the city over him. for some reason the FBI has been investigating the paranormal, and after thanking the ghostbusters, wants to discredit them so as not to cause mass hysteria? the whole scene didn't make sense.

That's actually part of Feig's original vision for the film. Having the government already be aware of the existence of ghosts, and yet also trying to downplay it. Early on, the theory was that there'd be some female head of a government agency that would constantly discredit the GBs and say they were frauds, while simultaneously relying upon them to save the world. To be honest, it's one of the few original ideas that I actually kinda liked.

- the feigbusters deduce that rowan is behind this after patty recognizes him from a photo. somehow wig deduces that the sightings follow ley lines (despite only being told two sightings) and they follow those ley lines to 'the most haunted hotel in the city'. they then bring up the photo from the companies website and head there.

I don't follow what the problem is here. I mean, if she knows where the ley lines in a city are, then it's at worst a case of badly interpreting scant data and still being right. Again, I actually think this is kind of a cool idea, that the bad guy is trying to control ghosts, raise the dead, or become lord of the underworld or something himself, and will use things like the occult and ley lines and sites of spiritual significance to do that. I'd rather see it be treated like how the original film talked about Ivo Shandor, though.

- Patty's cousin got killed in the middle of the street there, but, she doesn't care because he was 'just a dumb male'.

Now THAT I have a problem with. Like, (A) that's just not funny, and (B) it's just crapping on dudes to crap on dudes. That's not feminism and it's not funny. I'm guessing that line doesn't make it into the film.

Not all of it sounds terrible, but enough sounds mediocre-to-terrible that I'm confident in my decision to take a pass on this.

Ok, so, this book...um....what is it? Official novelization of the film? The one from Stacy Deutsch? If so...then your plot breakdown is...disappointing.

Not all of it sounds terrible, but enough sounds mediocre-to-terrible that I'm confident in my decision to take a pass on this.

It's the Kids version of the film book. It's condensed, and simplified, but yeah, other than that, it's 100% official.

One part I actually DID kind of like, even if his intro is a 100% rip off

Slimers entry is late in the film. He pops up out of a hot dog cart. and then steals the ecto 1.
He sort of unintentionally helps save the day. Ernie also has probably the only funny line in the movie... 'I don't want to hear my car is in another dimension!'
I hate to admit it, but the only other line that got an imaginative laugh out of me was from Patty. a ghost accidentally hitches a ride with a train and a bunch of cab passengers, and she says 'I guess he's on his way to jersey' or some such...I don't know why, but i thought that was funny.

The movie is also LOADED with Dan Aykroyd Terminology. Where as the original movie had Harold and Ivan to keep dan in check, here not so much. he's fully unleashed with so much techno babble, it makes your head spin and CLEARLY is dan Aykroyd speak.

What is going on here? When the Staypuft ballon lands on them they are in the middle of the street, in the road. So why are we looking at them from below like they are pressed up against a window? Does NYC have glass panelled roads now, or is it a physics busting 4th wall break that looks ridiculous

I'm guessing fourth wall...but it gets worse..

wigg pops stay puft not with a proton stream, but a pocket knife. They only use the ghost trap once in the movie. and I will correct myself, the Containment Unit DOES appear at the end, but the recording with 'zull' doesn't.

I'm not watching anymore trailers/clips/sneek peeks because I give up,this movie is an abomination,a freak of nature that shouldn't exist,I may go to a voodoo priest to send a poltergeist after Fig Newton and pray Harold comes back to haunt his every moment.

I'm gonna go watch GBII I'll probably wind up liking it since as bad as it was it can't top THIS.

I liked GB 2.

I dont know why that movie gets so much hate, I like it a lot too, its one of the staple movies of my childhood. There are some zingers in there too:"I would like to do some gynecolgoical tests on the mother" Venkman:"who wouldnt?" That obviously went over my head when I was a kid, but a rewatch and its gold! The courtroom scene when they come back is gold! The "do, ray, egon"? Joke? Gold! Yeah there was some cheese(statue of liberty scene where Winston says "now you sing") but it was still a good follow up in my opinion, I always watch it when its on TV.

I was fourteen when GBII came out,I liked both the film and the cartoon (the cartoon is still passable,an amazing thing with how I feel about things like the Transformers) but I felt back then that the film was a separate entity from the cartoon and the second movie came off too hard as them trying to make a live action Real Ghostbusters,too silly I mean....mood slime? really?? it just didn't feel right.

But now I'm gonna give it a second chance and I'll be watching both the first and the second the next couple days,it'll probably come off as a masterpiece next to this new.....film.

*ETA*

I also felt they went a bit off with the five year break between one and two,if they wanted to follow the real ghostbusters they should have started a year or two after with the guys being a regular thing now and basically put it at the beginning of the cartoon and maybe crank the silliness up a bit.

Although frankly I felt the mood slime was a little unforgivable,the TRGB could be downright creepy and if they'd have gone that direction it would have been better.

the only thing i didn't really like then, as now, was the repeat of the dana/peter relationship.

other than that, i never really had a problem with the movie. I got that the cartoon probably held them back a bit. notice they didn't show the containment unit, for instance.

I think it would have been more fun to have ray or egon or even just louis be the romantic interest.

I was fourteen when GBII came out,I liked both the film and the cartoon (the cartoon is still passable,an amazing thing with how I feel about things like the Transformers) but I felt back then that the film was a separate entity from the cartoon and the second movie came off too hard as them trying to make a live action Real Ghostbusters,too silly I mean....mood slime? really?? it just didn't feel right.

But now I'm gonna give it a second chance and I'll be watching both the first and the second the next couple days,it'll probably come off as a masterpiece next to this new.....film.

*ETA*

I also felt they went a bit off with the five year break between one and two,if they wanted to follow the real ghostbusters they should have started a year or two after with the guys being a regular thing now and basically put it at the beginning of the cartoon and maybe crank the silliness up a bit.

Although frankly I felt the mood slime was a little unforgivable,the TRGB could be downright creepy and if they'd have gone that direction it would have been better.

Yeah the mood slime did feel weird. It wasnt even necessary either. I guess they thought they needed a little diversity other than the proton packs.

Yeah the mood slime did feel weird. It wasnt even necessary either. I guess they thought they needed a little diversity other than the proton packs.

My thought is tie in to the ectoplasim/slime the toys came with,it was close enough to the cartoon to know it was a bit of a money grab,and besides the mentioned joke Peter made it wasn't....as "adult" humor wise as the first one which also felt weird (Winston on the tracks getting run over by the ghost train was straight out of the cartoon fer gosh sake's) and the overall feel was different from the first movie,enough so that you could notice it even at my young age.

So that's a few of my problems with GBII,still it looks like sweet art next to this new messterpiece :lol

mood slime was the best part! showed them trying to expand the universe a bit!

i'd rather watch 2 hours of this than the next movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I dare even watch it when cast and crew are being asses?

they think this helps them ...how?

so much easier just to ignore it and talk up how good your movie is going to be..

unless..

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back