Ghetto casting

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by juno, Jul 31, 2006.

1. juno

juno Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

On another board I read somewhere, there is a recipe for silicone mold material made from hardware store silicone caulk. IIRC, water is added in a certain ratio to react the curing catalist, and the result is a silicone mold on the cheap. You might want to PM Starkids1990 for more details.

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Well-Known Member

I've used it for small & quick projects. It's not as durable as the real thing, but works in a pinch. Here's the recipe...

10oz tube GE Silicone I or II Caulk
    50 drops Glycerine per tube (catalyst)
    1-5 drops acrylic paint (to aid checking mixing)

Sets up quick, but remains workable for about 10-15 minutes. Smooth with icecube while setting (water will not effect the curing).

Hope that helps.

4. juno

5. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

6. rigormortis

Never had it fail, but have had it stick to the piece like a mushy gummi bear if the mixture was not mixed properly. A little soap and water cleans it right up.

You can get glycerine from any drug store (doubt you'll find it in a hardware store). Women use it for a base for hand-made lotions.

Please only use this knowledge for your own work, not to rip others off. People work too hard for months to have someone whip up a little silicone for a few bucks and rip them off.

7. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

8. rigormortis

Agreed. Use it only in a very well ventilated area - or your garage or workshop will reek for weeks. It's probably poisinous as well.

9. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

10. dkwd

dkwd Well-Known Member

Is the Glycerine needed?
    I thought Thorston James said that one could use silicon silicone as a mold in a pinch. I'd have to check again, but I don't recall him mentioning have to mix it with anything.

That said, I haven't tried it yet.

David

11. rigormortis

It acts as a catalyst to cure it faster, otherwise you'd have to wait several days for a thick layer to fully dry. Plus it makes it tougher than plain caulk, which you could rip with your hands. This ensures it's a little tougher.

12. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

13. juno

14. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

15. Matsuo

Matsuo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

16. motman241

motman241 Well-Known Member

I have done the caulk method - buy 100% clear, silicone caulk.... coat the item in petrolium jelly, squirt caulk all over it. Done. But, yes, it does take a long time to cure. I'll have to try the glycerine thing.

17. clownluv15

clownluv15 Well-Known Member

do you HAVE to coat it in petroleum jelly or will a clear coat be enough?

18. motman241

motman241 Well-Known Member

Silicone sticks to EVERYTHING (almost). The petrolium jelly on the project will release it when the silicone mold has cured.

19. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Use clear acrylic spraypaint, and Babylax is the brand name for the Glycerine.

I use to do the water method, but the Glycerine and latex works alot better.

I live in Covington, and if you want to see how it works I can show you how I just done one :)

20. clownluv15

clownluv15 Well-Known Member

so should i just mix a little bit and test it on a small piece of my work and see if it sticks?show how it works.