Getting a pure black visor with RIT dye?

I'm working on finishing a Daft Punk Guy-Man helmet from Moguai props, and I'm at the point of dyeing the visor.
I've seen that "black" RIT dye will actually come out a bit brownish-red on visors, but I remember seeing a thread on the late Daft Club forum that had a solution to this by adding an amount of dark green dye in with the black. With the Daft Club now sadly defunct, that ratio is lost to time; so I was wondering if anyone knew of this trick, or any other solutions. I appreciate all y'alls help!

-Galifreyscall

The curvature would be really hard with tint film. It's hard enough to get it to conform to the back window of a car. If you did want to try it, your only hope is to get a scrap from a professional tinting shop as it can be shrunken somewhat with heat, unlike the stuff you buy at the auto parts store.

Another option is tail light tint, which is a type of spray paint. VHT is a good brand that you can get at a parts store. Lots of fine coats is the key to that stuff.

The curvature would be really hard with tint film. It's hard enough to get it to conform to the back window of a car. If you did want to try it, your only hope is to get a scrap from a professional tinting shop as it can be shrunken somewhat with heat, unlike the stuff you buy at the auto parts store.

Another option is tail light tint, which is a type of spray paint. VHT is a good brand that you can get at a parts store. Lots of fine coats is the key to that stuff.
That stuff looks amazing. Thanks for the pointer.

I've been using iDye Poly for visors. It works OK but I always have problems getting an even tint. Will try the tail light tint next time.

The problem I've heard with VHT is that it blocks light a little too well, to the point where it diminishes the look of the lights on the inside. I'd prefer dip dyeing it, as then its a lot easier to 1. Get an even finish, and 2. Control the darkness of the visor. I do have a can of VHT that's been left untouched because I'm a little apprehensive to trust my spray painting skills to be smooth on a visor, where mistakes are quite visible and replacements are $50.

Both great tutorials on how to dye petg plastic visors with Idye Poly. I have tinted my thomas helmet visor and with help from a member from the daft club was able to do with good results and think this is the one you must have sawn on the daft club regarding the Green and Black dye.
You can use RIT Black dye, I didn't for my visor since my buddy suggested instead you want to use Jacquard Idye Poly Black and Dark green dyes. That will help with making the visor less red and more darker overall. I used 4 packets 2 black and 2 green. I can't remember all the details he told me, but I know I have it somewhere. Let me see if I can find the info he told me and Ill summarize on here.

Found the info Still working on writing up the details and will post them here when Im done summarizing them

Last edited:
Alrighty sorry about the wait, but heres the instructions i was told for the process by my buddy, He's also on the forum. Hope this helps!
Decided to make a pdf of it, since It wouldn't let me post all of it in one on here.

IMG_5079.jpeg

IMG_5080.jpeg

Attachments

• Tinting DP Visors.pdf
    53.2 KB · Views: 148

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back