Gerry Anderson - UFO TV Series - Shado Pistol replica build

Harada357

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I love Gerry Anderson UFO TV series from the 1970's.

Decided to try a Build of the Gerry Anderson SHADO Pistol. :love

A work in progress.

Gordon

It's all looking good Gordon. I did have a look at the other pics on the Fanderson Forum as well. What was it it built up from - layers of stuff or is it a casting?

It was a complete scratch build. The first I had done in many years. I am just going to scrap this one and do an overhaul with a complete new base. I got some other reference pics and want to make some changes to the base design. I wish I had more acurate pics - the darn pistol looks different from different angles. I think I have all the kinks worked out - going to retool a clean master and cast it. I am playing with a couple of flash hiders and will have at least two versions of the gun. I do like this flash hider cut because you can see the detail. I have a lighter cut that obscures the ribbing except in extreme close up. This flash hider is a little 'meaner looking.'

After this next build - I am going with what I've got. I want to get to the rifle builds. I have spent many long hours fighting this thing. I get something built and then someone says they have another angle - so I have had to cut so many times - the clean up is just not worth it. This version will be retired.

For those that sent help - thank you.

Special thanks to Shawn Morgan for advice on the build and the casting. This will be my first casting project. There will be mistakes. I am just trying to get ahead of the learning curve.

I am also making the Shado Assasin pistol - but will likely not make a casting. Just to add to the display of the SHADO Armory in my Office.

I really apprecaite the Prop forum.

I am already working with a machinist for the parts for the Timelash Rifle.

Gordon

It's all looking good Gordon. I did have a look at the other pics on the Fanderson Forum as well. What was it it built up from - layers of stuff or is it a casting?

I was thinking if I made a standard SHADO pistol, I'd have to make two flash arrestors as I think sometimes the long one looks good and other times the really short one looks good. The one on the "acoustic gun" in Exposed is good too.

I really like the look of the rifles from the Timelash episode and of course the huge rocket launcher.

The thing I find kind of amusing is when the show was made and the fact that it was set in 1980 which is 30 years ago for us now. The view of even the near future that many had in the late 60's and early 70's was really quite quaint in some ways.

I look forward to the idea of the new UFO project in 2011 or 2012 and hope they do it justice.

Anderson's prop and effects guys were really good at what they did with they had to work with. Of course some of them went on to work on big projects as they virtually pioneered some of the stuff they did. His model builders were fantastic fabricators.

I am already working with a machinist for the parts for the Timelash Rifle.

Gordon

I always enjoyed the various weapons used on the show. The whole basis of the show
fell right in with my paranoia from the Invaders. By the by...born and raised in Northeast Baltimore now in Harford County.

I work in Baltimore, live in the county.

I am upgrading my workshop. The UFO weapons are the first projects off the line. Now I can get the aircraft Aluminum parts to make the build authentic. Too bad some of the measurements and details are best guess. I hope they will be the closest UFO props ever produced.

The acoustic gun will be done. :love

I always enjoyed the various weapons used on the show. The whole basis of the show
fell right in with my paranoia from the Invaders. By the by...born and raised in Northeast Baltimore now in Harford County.

Given how few SHADO/UFO props are out there will that be hard? Not that I'm saying your props won't be great as I'm sure theywill be with all of the time you've put into them. I'm sure you know what I mean.

I've not really checked but is the acoustic gun itself any different from the regular ones or does it just have a different flash arrestor?

I hope they will be the closest UFO props ever produced.

The acoustic gun will be done. :love

Given how few SHADO/UFO props are out there will that be hard? Not that I'm saying your props won't be great as I'm sure theywill be with all of the time you've put into them. I'm sure you know what I mean.

I've not really checked but is the acoustic gun itself any different from the regular ones or does it just have a different flash arrestor?

From looking at the reference photos - each prop looks individually constructed. there could be minor differences - it could merely be different flash hiders.

I will do the best I can. I may find that once I build the masters - they never make it to a kit run. Too expnsive and too few people interested.

We will see ... This thread is about the build.

I am thinking less and less about getting kits out there. Some people are hard to please.

I may make a couple for close friends and hardcore UFO fans and then call it a day.

Here is a cool link to a modified new MOBILE !!! AWESOME

Google Image Result for http://www.scifi-meshes.com/gallery/data//505/medium/UFOmobile-05.jpg

Gordon

Remember, the pistols were originally made for "Doppelganger", aka "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun". In one of the original issues of "Sci-Fi & Fantasy Modeler" there was a photo of the original drawing of the pistol, was it by Derek Meddings? It also had a drawing of SkyDiver which showed that it was originally going to be a two-man vehicle, one in Sky, and one in Diver.

David.

Remember, the pistols were originally made for "Doppelganger", aka "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun". In one of the original issues of "Sci-Fi & Fantasy Modeler" there was a photo of the original drawing of the pistol, was it by Derek Meddings? It also had a drawing of SkyDiver which showed that it was originally going to be a two-man vehicle, one in Sky, and one in Diver.

David.

Also the futuristic car with the strange engine sound and the gull wings was used in both projects.

As well as you can see some Bade Runner props again in Aliens.

Dietrich

That "gas turbine car" was actually based on the chassis of a Ford Zephyr custom built aluminium body shell. There was a bronzish car and a pink car made for the series but the bronzish one must have been damaged as it had some tape and a non-matching wheel. Apparently actors commented that the cars were "impossible to drive" because the steering wheel was not designed for functionality. Also, the gull-wing doors had to be opened by a prop guy running up beside it. The prop guy can be seen in a couple of episodes.

The control consoles from SHADO HQ and Moonbase, some computer units, lighting panels and spacesuits make appear in later TV shows of the 1970s like Doctor Who, Tomorrow People, Star Maidens, Blake's 7, The Goodies and The New Avengers.

-
Also the futuristic car with the strange engine sound and the gull wings was used in both projects.

That "gas turbine car" was actually based on the chassis of a Ford Zephyr custom built aluminium body shell. There was a bronzish car and a pink car made for the series but the bronzish one must have been damaged as it had some tape and a non-matching wheel. Apparently actors commented that the cars were "impossible to drive" because the steering wheel was not designed for functionality. Also, the gull-wing doors had to be opened by a prop guy running up beside it. The prop guy can be seen in a couple of episodes.

The control consoles from SHADO HQ and Moonbase, some computer units, lighting panels and spacesuits make appear in later TV shows of the 1970s like Doctor Who, Tomorrow People, Star Maidens, Blake's 7, The Goodies and The New Avengers.

-

The cars were called Jet Cars in the show, there was one episode that had a rental sign for them. The jeeps were also from Doppelganger. Gerry Anderson said that the only thing that made the show possible was all of the pieces that were made for Doppelganger.

According to the dvds, the controls, consoles, and computers were from a company that made them for movies and tv show.

Some pieces from 2001 were used in the show, the most visible example being the pilot's chair in the submarine SkyDiver.

David.

I work in Baltimore. I live in Anne Arundel County.

I will finish this pistol with both Flash Hider accessories.

There will be both Rifles - even if only for my own collection.

Next project the INVADERS pistol - Season 2 then Season 1.

Gordon

Ah another of the shows I enjoyed back then. You're a man after my own heart, Gordon. I've not paid much attention to the aliens' pistols. I'll have to go and watch the episodes again. Is there any extra stuff on the DVDs like prop info? I've not checked mine.

I work in Baltimore. I live in Anne Arundel County.

I will finish this pistol with both Flash Hider accessories.

There will be both Rifles - even if only for my own collection.

Next project the INVADERS pistol - Season 2 then Season 1.

Gordon

Someone on the board had sterted a thread about the Invaders props including the pistol a while ago. I do not recall it going anywhere at that time.. The Imvaders had my
friends and I staring at peoples hands looking for extended pinkies.

I don't think that there is any prop info on the DVD's - at the time they did not anticipate ever doing a DVD .... in fact VHS, or BETA, or 8 Track Tapes :lol

There are references floating around of the invaders props.

(These are not my pics - just prop references taken from the web)

Ah another of the shows I enjoyed back then. You're a man after my own heart, Gordon. I've not paid much attention to the aliens' pistols. I'll have to go and watch the episodes again. Is there any extra stuff on the DVDs like prop info? I've not checked mine.

I started the invaders thread to get more information on the props BEFORE trying to build them. The shapes are simple - putting them together correctly is tough !!!

Someone on the board had sterted a thread about the Invaders props including the pistol a while ago. I do not recall it going anywhere at that time.. The Imvaders had my
friends and I staring at peoples hands looking for extended pinkies.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back