General Hux Costume Research Thread

13443230_10154066045206187_6709312727662000332_o.jpg
Got my order from Imperial Boots!

Boots are lovely and the calf does run true to their size chart as does size! I'm wearing big socks in these since I have a very narrow foot and it makes the fit just right. Zipper has been moved as they said the would and the calf of the boot has a curve to it like the SA boot for a snug fitted look. Very nice leather; packed well but definatly had been polished/treated before packing cus the shoe polish smell was strong upon opening (not a big thing; just heads up if your sensitive to smell). Sole isn't solid rubber but a lighter weight instead which isn't bad since it makes them easier to walk in; not totally SA in that respect though, but still looks good.

Thus far comfy to wear!

Evening guys!

Taking my first steps into building a Hux, and naturally that means taking a whole month to absorb as much information as possible to ensure I'm moving in the right place! A question I have for anyone who has made a Hux greatcoat... what on earth is going on at the back?
I've seen all the screenshots of the two triangular pieces that come from both sides and meet in the middle at their points. From what I've figured out, I believe these "start" at the side seams of the coat, and are two pieces of fabric stitched together to make each "triangle" (I know they're not triangular but its the best way I can refer to them!).
My confusion is how exactly they attach at the bottom hem. I imagine if they just attach directly to the bottom hem (so that the "triangle" pieces act like fairly pointless decorative flaps) this would just restrict movement around the back of the coat? Plus if they're only attached together at those points, makes it a bit delicate?

Any info on how those weird flappy back pieces work would be massively appreciated! I've got a few greatcoat patterns I've yet to decide upon for the base coat itself, then I'll tweak the pockets, lapels, epaulettes etc. I've yet to see anything remotely like those back pieces on anything else though!

The weird back pieces for mine are double sided (and lined so that the lining flows smooth as well) I put into the side seams the same way you put a godet into a skirt basically and tacked it back so the back still is smooth but so the coat flows so nice and full in the wind and with movement still sits nice along the bottom hem, I'll try to take close up pics and explain a bit better when I get back from a con this weekend if that doesn't make much sense for you :)

It does a little! Thankyou! :D
I'm a bit of a sewing novice, so I tend to learn/understand better through seeing so that I know what I'm trying to achieve when it comes to working on my own project. I think I see what you mean regarding the godet, that makes a lot of sense, and I had thought that the pieces looked double sided. I just wasnt sure how the coat then looked from the inside (especially when both sides were grabbed and "spread out" like wings, to see how much flow/swish/billow the thing had!) and I'm also very unsure on how it attaches to the bottom hem of the coat, if at all?
Pics would be fantastic! I'm hoping to put in my order for the wool for this thing soon, going to wait until my bengaline arrives from the US and go from there. :S

Hi! I'm also trying to get a Hux together for the 501st Japan Garrison. Been lurking on this thread for a looooong time now, and eagerly awaiting more pictures of (especially) coat and tunic details. Could someone take pics of the insides of their tunics / coats so we can see the lining and placement of the closures? Even just photos of the closure mechanisms themselves would be helpful. Also seconding the request for pics of the weird triangle-flappy-wings on the back of the greatcoat and how they attach. And the collar closure band on the tunic, too, please! Did you use snaps or buttons for it? Thank you!

Also, I'd like to add that I also bought the Hux boots from Imperial Boots, and they are magnificent. I wore them around the first day to "break them in" but I didn't really even have to. They're very pliant. :D

Sorry for the double-post, but the 501st specs are up now!

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:ID_General_Hux

Too bad there are mistakes on the CRL...

Tunic has epaulettes across the shoulder, from the collar to top of the arm seam seam.
The epaulets go about 2 cm below the seam line of the shoulder onto the arm

There are two seams down the sleeves, continuing from the princess seams on the front and back
From what I can see on the reference and HD promo pictures, that's not true, seams on the arms do not match the princess seams on the body of the jacket.

There is a subtle cuff seam line on both lower sleeves above the rank bands.
This is wrong, the cuff seam is below the rank bands.

For this one, I'm note sure...
There are two horizontal front pockets (double welt pockets) on both sides of closure, right below the belt.
I know that on the greatcoat there are double pockets, but I highly doubt it is the case on the jacket. For me, there are on single pockets on both sides. But, this has to be checked ;)

And by the way, here is a picture of me with my own costume ;)

DSC_0129_GCC_zpssx9qfu3u.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right. There are several mistakes. Also the rank insignia bands are silver, are they not? Not white.

There are pockets on the tunic though, so that seems accurate. (edit: I mean that double-welt means single pockets, they just look double with the wide seams on them.)

You're right. There are several mistakes. Also the rank insignia bands are silver, are they not? Not white.

There are pockets on the tunic though, so that seems accurate. (edit: I mean that double-welt means single pockets, they just look double with the wide seams on them.)

Totally agree with you! My own rank bands are silver too (you can see on the picture I added on my previous post ;) ).
About the pocket, my bad I mispelled while writting, so yes, "single" pocket but double-welting ^^. On my own, I made "singel-welt" pocket, that's what I think it is, because it seeam less prominant on the jacket than on the greatcoat to me.

I was wondering, where is everyone getting their gloves for the Hux look? The 501st page says that the regular Imperial Officer gloves are good enough, but I didn't see any on the Imperial Boots page where I would have expected to find them. Does anyone here have a pair of 501st approved Imperial Officer gloves, and if so, could you tell us if there's anything in the design that makes them stand out from just a typical pair of black gloves, re: stitching, etc? Thanks!

I bought very cheap ones on eBay myself, they are looking simple, so they look the part.
I know that some approved by the 501 gloves can be surplus officer gloves, but with the automn/winter coming, regular plain black gloves should be available commercially near you any soon.

Hi there Hux enthousiasts!

I'm proud to announce you that my Hux costume has been validated by 501st French Garison :D

So proud it has been accepted!

(you can see a picture above ;) )

Been using this thread to build my Hux, it's been super helpful! Thank you guys! I'm not finished yet, still need to make the belt buckle, hat and coat but here's where I'm at with the build :)

IMG_20170501_193631.jpg
IMG_20170501_193700.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I'm starting my own female version of Hux after seeing Last Jedi, and am fairly new to making large patterns (like the great coat and tunic). Does anyone have any suggestions that might be easier, rather than wasting many hours of experimenting to possibly get it right? I'm fine with not using a pre-made pattern, but I'm a smidge stuck. Thanks for any advice!

Alright I'm starting my General Hux, but the person who was supposed to be helping me out with the pattern has pretty much bailed on me. So I need some serious help!!!! What pattern should I use. I'm by no means a "small girl" I'm a plus size girl.. so any help pattern wise that I can get.. I appreciate. So long as it's gonna get me screen accurate as I'm going to be submitting it for my local 501st Garrison.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back