General Hux Costume Research Thread

in this picture from the stickerbook you can just make out some of the jacket closures.

tumblr_o1h9c1FLsU1r03nz0o1_540.jpg

I had been feeling tempted to cosplay Hux ever since the first image of him was released, and reading this has made me want to even more. Probably won't be able to this year since I already have so much planned, but hopefully I'll be able to next year.

Also: In this picture, is it just the shiny lining reflecting the red lighting visible elsewhere on Hux and in the background, or does his coat have a dark red lining? It looks like there's a bit too much red in it for it to be purely reflected, and red lining would certainly be striking.
iGaPrvsl.jpg

Late thought, but I was rethinking about the shoulder pieces.
To me it appears to be just fauxleather parts sewn on the top of the shoulder itself, not like epaulets that are sewn only on a border. It is more of a part of the very outer garment.

^That's what I was thinking too, for the coat anyway. I think on the tunic they're made of the same material as the rest of the garment, but they do look rather leather-y on the coat.

^That's what I was thinking too, for the coat anyway. I think on the tunic they're made of the same material as the rest of the garment, but they do look rather leather-y on the coat.

On the tunic, that's hard to say, depending on the photo and lighting, they are more or less reflective, giving an impression of flat fabric, or shiny leather... :/

Last edited:
I found a few on aliexpress that would require even more modification but cost slightly less. (removal of straps and buckles etc..)
Having a pair made at a cobbler is ridiculously expensive, looked into that as well. For now I think I'll try these, when it arrives find a matching material to extend the tops for better match to the stitching and look of the visual dictionary reference image.
So far every other piece has been relatively easy and cost efficient to track down, was even able to make the belt buckle out of aluminum sheeting.

quick suggestion for those in warmer areas, use a 95% cotton blend for the coat. it will probably require more structure than other fabric but it will be cooler in the long run. also maybe try magnets down the front of his tunic, they'll give it that nice crisp line down the center with out having to hide a zip or buttons.

For the boots, I'd look for boots with the correct shape and details minus the sole, I wouldn't worry about the sole at all because it's easy enough to get it resoled. What the boots look like to me are English riding/fox hunting boots with the brown cuff up top, something like that might work, you'd just have to remove the brown dye and re-dye it black, then take it to a cobbler to get it resoled with a screen accurate sole. I'd also look at women's fashion boots too, there might be some that are a good match but depending on your shoe size, assuming you're a guy, it might be hard to get them in your size since women's shoes generally don't go that large.

This uniform seems to have a jacket of a more accurate length. With some modifications I think it can be great! Simply remove the extra arm bands, replace the first order patch, and add the epaulettes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-T...384282?hash=item2361f642da:g:xlAAAOSwpRRWnkTL

For a cheaper alternative (albeit a little more work) this jacket and other "Attack on Titan trench coats" like it seem to be a good base to build up on:

http://www.amazon.com/Onecos-Attack-Shingeki-Cosplay-Costume/dp/B00JE1Z0HY

The first HelloCosplay's costume lacks a lot of detailing on the jacket, like princess seems. moreover, it is not made in a ribbed fabric.

The second link, on eBay, is more close to the real one as for its pattern. What is odd is the belt, with has a faux-leather buckle sewn on instead of a real buckle (!) but overall it can make the deal for someone looking into a fast alternative in spite of accuracy.

Hope that some artisan would sell the belt alone soon, as we can see for Empire belts.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

For my Hux project, I finally have bought some Ottoman fabric.

Here are some pictures of the fabric (I'm sorry for the blurness, my phone camera is getting old...)

Without flash:
WP_20160206_18_03_38_Pro_zpsygammmft.jpg

With flash:
WP_20160206_18_03_44_Pro_zpsbmqgcdzq.jpg

With my hand as a scale for the size of the crests of the fabric:
WP_20160206_18_04_00_Pro_zpsbrtnzaxd.jpg

And with my custom-embroidered First Order patch ;)
WP_20160206_18_06_14_Pro_zps5kmes4zo.jpg

As you can see, Ottoman fabric, as a 100 % polyester fabric, is very bright under strong lighting.

I'm working on Hux's blaster, some of the smaller details are going to be added after paint, like screws and the metal plate. The scale is a little small because it's for a customer with smaller hands.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back