Gathering vintage parts: ANH Obi saber completed

Re: Gathering vintage parts: ANH Obi saber

I've changed the rubbers with a rubber ring which fitted very well between the derwent pipe and the grenade top screw:

And here's some progress shots from today:

In fact there was no need for a spacer. I was able to use the grenade plate to hold down the threaded rod in place.:thumbsup The graflex clamp fits tight onto the last grenade ring and the 2nd booster cone part.

Re: Gathering vintage parts: ANH Obi saber

Final built at the end of a long road.

sw3w.jpg

22yf.jpg

And of course, you know me, the "removed" crystal chamber"!;)
chlv.jpg

Herzlichen Glückwunsch! Ich bin ganz offiziell grün vor Neid!
Nein, im Ernst, ich freue mich das deine Geduld sich ausgezahlt hat!

LOOKS AMAZING, MATE!

Wow, I have a lot of time and respect for anyone tracking down all those hard to find real parts. A lovely replica. Well done.

I was nearly following and commenting every single thread about the ANH Obi-Wan Kenobi Vintage built Lightsabers.
I was talking about the first time about it in 2009 in opening this topic: http://www.therpf.com/f79/obi-wan-anh-hilt-authentic-parts-71396/
Most of the guys there were helping me out with answering my pm's and topics at all.
Also most of u are still excited about those parts like nobody else. :thumbsup
For me it really wasn't easy in getting all those parts together as I'm overseas and behind customs. But I was able to get the rarest parts in a short time period within a year. I hope that I've not stepped onto somebodys toes as most of the other guys have searched for specific parts for years. Those are the real heroes which have discovered all the parts in a restless search over all the years. Hats off and thank you.

Btw, is there anywhere the thread excisting where they've discovered the last parts? I would like to see it how it was back then:)

Saber looks fantastic.

Are you done for a while or are you thinking of looking for different parts to swap out?

Thanks a lot James. I think I'm done for a while now. I'll eventually remove the cream paint on the grenade in the future. I was also able to find a "hot" AS endcap for the pommel. So that part is complete, too. I think I'll still looking for parts and will help out to those who are searching for them.
Your vintage saber was always one of my inspirations. Looking forward to see it with your new acquired Derwent engine pipe.:thumbsup

Beautiful saber!

Thank you Vader:)
btw, here's what happened to the saber after the Kenobi/Vader fight: (must be from wookiepedia)
The lightsaber fell into Darth Vader’s possession, who stored it in his personal retreat on Vjun as a trophy. After the Jedi Order was recreated under Luke Skywalker, several of his students, led by Tionne Solusar and Ikrit, arrived at Bast Castle to search for relics and artifacts contained within. Their arrival coincided with the efforts of Orloc, a false Darksider who relied on technological gimmicks to convincingly mimic Force abilities. While the Jedi found Kenobi’s lightsaber and the Asli Krimsan's holocron first, Orloc managed to steal both in the subsequent encounter, threatening Ikrit with the lightsaber. However, Orloc’s unfamiliarity with the many passages and traps of Bast Castle nearly got him killed, and allowed the Jedi to reclaim the lightsaber and the holocron.
The holocron and the lightsaber were left in Luke Skywalker’s quarters for him to examine later. However, Uldir Lochett, a non-Force sensitive attempting to become a Jedi, stole both artifacts and fled to Exis Station to meet with Orloc, hoping the false adept could teach him how to use the Force. Lochett’s fellow students chased after, confronting Orloc. Solusar telekinetically retrieved Kenobi’s lightsaber and the holocron. The lightsaber changed hands several times during the ensuing battle, finally coming to Anakin Solo, who used it to destroy the devices on Orloc’s costume and exposing him as a charlatan. Orloc escaped, while the lightsaber was returned to the Jedi praxeum.

Me, too. but I don't know how to remove the paint without destroying the bodys surface.. I would like to keep the scars and scratches.

Thanks a lot Jkno. a lot of joy went into that specific built. :)

One option might be to try a simple electrolysis process. Art described it here and I've done it too:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/derusting-webley-flare-gun-science-cool-174029/

It'll get rid of the surface rust and the paint if you leave it on long enough, so it's important to keep an eye on it.

Personally though... I'd leave it as is. While it may not be "screen accurate" with the cream colored paint, it's original to the grenade and also makes your saber a bit more unique. :thumbsup

Maybe I'll do this in the future if rust will overwhelm the piece. So I would avoid the decomposition during the corrosion. But I think this is a theme many years from now. Hopefully..
Thank you Charlie for the links. I'll check them out immediately. :)

btw, James I've checked out your blog videos. Those are very entertaining and full of informations.:thumbsup

btw, James I've checked out your blog videos. Those are very entertaining and full of informations.:thumbsup

Thanks ! It's been a fun and interesting project so far.

I've been most surprised by the lack of enthusiasm from people I thought would be really into a video blog where I talk about Star Wars, props, costumes, nerdy stuff, tv shows and movies, etc...

I reached out to a handful of people on the RPF and through facebook that I knew were really into Star Wars and cosplay and described my youtube and invited them to channel, but they didn't watch any of my videos or subscribe to my channel. Oh well, life goes on.

The start of something like this could be dragging. But the time and effort went into something like this will gain enough interest. Maybe u should make the link bigger for more advertise..unfortunately I've read over/overlooked your link to the blog :-/ don't know how that could happened..

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back