Game of Thrones

I don't. Know...it was OK. Came of a little to fan-fiction like. (Oh, look. It's all your favorites, reunited again.). To many happy endings and to no real surprises. To be clear, I have no problems with Daneries going nuts. Just needed more time to "percolate." Would have definitely benifeted from a 10 episode season. A lot didn't make sense, like I don't believe for a second the Unsullied and Dothraki wouldn't have killed Jon right away. And why would the Lords of the kingdom give a toss about what the unsullied want. They're foreign invaders are just ended up leaving anyway. At least Ghost finally got a pat on the head. Really wanted it to end with a slow zoom onto Brans face, and then his eyes turn blue.

So half of it was good? :lol:

I watched the first couple episodes of the first season and it just wasn’t for me. Watching everyone I work with who all love it lose their minds at apparently how bad this season has been has been entertaining to me.

Same here not my cup of tea, I just prefer movies, these tv shows just drag way too long and more than half the episodes are just fill ins.

Bran didn’t get the iron throne. So those that bet lost. The throne was dany’s..house got to pay out on her. Yes, she died right after but doesn’t matter.

That was total BS of an ending.

Unsullied should have put the city under martial law. Slaughter all the top houses to finish breaking the wheel then move on.

It still stands true...Jon snow knows nothing. She wouldn’t of had to burn and destroy any other cities. Most would of backed down since she destroyed King’s landing in like 5 minutes. A example had to be made of those that listen to reason. Now you released a uncontrolled dragon upon the lands. If I was that dragon I would have eaten Jon. Burn he rest of the cities. Stop for a snack and move to the next town.

Bran being picked is a bad choice too. Everyone just takes his word about everything. I can sit in a chair and act like I know everything. Ugh it was terrible choice.

Greyworm should of killed Jon on the street as he is walking to the dock. That would have been a super and welcome surprise.

Also who and how the hell did the wall & castle black get built soooooo fast? Really now, i need those contractors. Maybe that’s why they didn’t want Dany freeing all the slaves. Gotta build kings landing and the wall ASAP and cheap. Cheap labor is cheap labor.

The whole wall wasn't destroyed. Only the part by Eastwatch was destroyed by the Night King, not Castle Black

I don't get it. Annakin switched over in less time. Everybody was okay with that.

You're kidding, right?

I liked the ending for the most part. It finally tied things together and didn't leave too many questions unanswered.

As series finales go, it was probably one of the best. WAY better than Lost or Seinfeld.

Looking back on it, there is so much filler that had no point and should have been left out. It would allowed for a tighter story.

Clegane Bowl - Felt like this was only included for the fans and not Martin's idea. Didn't advance the storay at all.

RT+LS=JS - Again, feels like this was for the fans. It changed NOTHING.

You're kidding, right?

I liked the ending for the most part. It finally tied things together and didn't leave too many questions unanswered.

As series finales go, it was probably one of the best. WAY better than Lost or Seinfeld.

Looking back on it, there is so much filler that had no point and should have been left out. It would allowed for a tighter story.

Clegane Bowl - Felt like this was only included for the fans and not Martin's idea. Didn't advance the storay at all.

RT+LS=JS - Again, feels like this was for the fans. It changed NOTHING.

RT+LS=JS wasn't added for the fans. It has always been what was coming, as evidenced by the very fact DB and DW, had to tell George who Jon's mother was, before he even agreed to let them make the show in the first place.

George told them who pretty much ends up where in his outline of the end, so barring any change of heart by George, the main characters all ended up exactly where they were going anyway. The only difference will be the books will be able to flesh out how they got there, in far more detail.

Yes, but we don't read fantasy to have it accurately reflect real life, do we? Fiction, especially fantasy fiction, is where we can have elements of real life and also have the illusion that **** makes sense.

If this were in the books and they were written by someone with slightly less clout than GRRM, the author would be pilloried all over the literary arena.

Yes, but we don't read fantasy to have it accurately reflect real life, do we? Fiction, especially fantasy fiction, is where we can have elements of real life and also have the illusion that **** makes sense.

If this were in the books and they were written by someone with slightly less clout than GRRM, the author would be pilloried all over the literary arena.

Usually i'd agree, however with GRRM saying himself that the fantasy aspect of his book series, is actually secondary to how the characters, their thoughts and actions embody real life (even as far as being in scenarios based on historical events), i'm inclined to see it as a plus point that it does reflect reality so well.

Eh, I was....you know....fine....with it. Assuming this is where the books end up, I'm perfectly fine with the end point, provided that we get there in a manner that feels earned. Ultimately, that's the biggest problem with these last couple of seasons: they don't earn their big plot moments. Stuff happens because "Look, you'll just have to take our word for it."

And yeah, that's lazy writing insofar as HBO was willing to write a blank check to play this out as long as the showrunners wanted, and the showrunners said "Nah. We're ready to be done." So, they rushed the ending, jumped to conclusions they hadn't built up a solid enough foundation for, and washed their hands of it.

I think Tyrion's speech to Jon about why Dany had to get got was probably the best example of this. Yes, Dany murdered a lot of bad people. Yes, we cheered her for that. But (1) that's a far cry from slaughtering thousands of innocent people, and (2) the show repeatedly portrayed her acts as righteous badass retribution and now wants to scold us for it.

In the books, you can sort of get away with this, because the chapters are from the characters' perspectives. So, Dany's chapters are written from Dany's point of view even if they're written with a 3rd person narrator. Thus, what we get is Dany's perception of the world, rather than impartial truth. Therefore, when Mirri Maz Dhurri (whoever the woman was who made Khal Drogo a vegetable) was burned, the book portrayed it as righteous, as deserved, etc. And we buy it because it's Dany's perspective that we're seeing. But the show doesn't do that -- the show's depiction is meant to be the actual truth. When Dany does some badass thing and the show makes a big deal of how badass it is, and we cheer it, that's because the show tells us to. It doesn't depict people with looks of horror on their face or with tragic music, or anything to suggest "THIS IS A BAD THING SHE'S DONE." And it's not like the show doesn't know how to do that, either. The Red Wedding is a perfect example. The whole thing is shot, scored, and played tragically. But not for Dany, who gets triumphant music, badass shot framing, and no indication of "Er....are we really ok with this? Maybe we shouldn't be..."

It would be like watching some Schwarzenegger action movie, and at the end of it, after he's rattled off quip after quip, we get some sequence of him firing a rocket launcher at a bus full of kids being held hostage by the big bad guy, and then being court-martialed for committing atrocities and we're told "Well, look at how brutal he was with all the henchman. We should've seen this coming, and we're bad people for applauding his brutality and bloodthirstiness."

Usually i'd agree, however with GRRM saying himself that the fantasy aspect of his book series, is actually secondary to how the characters, their thoughts and actions embody real life (even as far as being in scenarios based on historical events), i'm inclined to see it as a plus point that it does reflect reality so well.

Honestly, where everyone wound up was pretty satisfying for me (aside from the obvious issues of Bran being named King). I don't have a problem with the culmination of the storylines and I feel that a lot of the dissatisfaction that people are feeling about this ending is just them no longer being able to overlook the shortcomings of the writing over these last two seasons.

If this is basically where the books wind up, I can live with that, because I know good and well GRRM will at least pay lip service to these storylines.

Although George does say that the fantasy aspect is secondary, the fact remains that there are WAY more fantasy elements at play in the books than in the show, especially the prophesies. The show half-asses them, at best, and then simply forgot about them over the last couple of seasons.

Bran didn’t get the iron throne. So those that bet lost. The throne was dany’s..house got to pay out on her.

If you’re talking physically then no he didn’t but then neither did she. She touched but never sat in it.

Metaphorically, he absolutely did. The throne is just a symbol for ruling. You can’t just sit on the throne like first dibs and automatically be a ruler.

I believe he was just named 'king' in name alone.

He left the table at the end.. and the other 'powers' started talking about they want to do.. and making choices/decisions..

If Bran was the 'real' king.. then why wouldnt he stay? and if he is the King (and the 3ER).. then why would he need ANYONE else? He 'knows' everything already.

Its cant be both.

I know 'all'.. but I need others.??
or
I'm the king.. but I dont partake in making any decisions??

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back