Fusion furnace

Made some more progress. The clear tubes connecting to the anchor greeblies and to the base I'm convinced have a coiled wire inside. This was a total pain to do but they turned out great. It was difficult to get them evenly spaced inside the tube. The corrugated wires on the base I literally can not find so my wife wrapped an 18 guage wire around an 8 guage wire then used shrink tube on it. They turned out perfect. I also got the rest of the holes drilled in the base and filled some other areas that needed filled. Also the round little dome greeblies on the base I saw in one of the refrence images I have has a seam between the top and the base so I cut the base out of an aluminum spacer and my wife filled the top of the thumb tacks
image000000(3).jpg
image000000(6).jpg
image000000(5).jpg
20231021_001636.jpg
20231020_205417.jpg
20231024_022105.jpg
20231021_034700.jpg
20231024_022207.jpg

Last edited:
Also the cables on the base I fully believe are spark plug cables. Theres just too many things that line up and match. These aren't the correct cables but you can definitely see similarities. One end of the cables has a longer skinny connector and the other end has a shorter stubby connector. A couple cables have the short stubby connector on both ends. Hope this helps.
20231026_200100.jpg
Screenshot_20231019-180830_Chrome.jpg
20231026_200017.jpg
20231026_200035.jpg
Screenshot_20231022-161205_Chrome.jpg

I do have some never before seen images I wish I could share with you all but I have them with the agreement that I dont share them. I can at least describe and share what I'm seeing. I don't want to burn any bridges. I'm happy to at least tell you guys what I'm seeing and creat parts as close to what I'm seeing as possible.

Finished the main cable R2 plug. Or what I can sort of make out in the screen shots. I may change this on the next build. Due to a deadline I had to come up with something fast that at least sort of resembles what I'm seeing. I'll weather the plug in the next few days. Still searching for original parts. I believe the uf connector the cord goes into is correct. The rest I fabricated and used a 3.5mm jack to plug into the R2 unit that will be on display with the fusion furnace.
20231031_074719.jpg
20231031_075853.jpg
Screenshot_20231030-170253_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
yes, like 3Dsf said just above, as usual, your attention to details and meticulous work and painting are showing, the result is really great! (y)

Great, detailed work! I can't help wonder what the original part was for the base. While your replication looks spot-on, I just keep thinking about what they originally used. I'm assuming it was a found part, with the rivets being a part of it rather than greeblies, but who knows. Some type of auto part seems likely, but I don't know enough to ID it myself.

The base is from a blower wheel. Haven't found the right one yet but thats what several original ILM workers told me. The top is a fan from a centrifugal pump motor. That will be next to impossible to find. Still looking though.

Hm. Where would someone at ILM have seen the prop, though? It wasn’t made by ILM in California - it was made by the prop people at EMI Elstree in England. Unless the prop was shipped over to California at the conclusion of filming, though I’ve never seen any photos or anything indicating it was preserved when filming was complete.

Those lower black corrugated cables could be pieces of "semi rigid" coaxial cable - eg. 1/4" or 3/8" Heliax?

The very long metal connector looks like it could be built from a selection of modular RF adapters - starting with the PL259 plug, then adapter sections with an SO-239 socket, coupler insert & BNC plug? Plus a BNC socket in whatever it attaches to.

Probably a radio ham in the build team??
The individual parts often used to turn up at Ham Radio rallies / junk sales, along with surplus cable etc.
(I have some 1/2" heliax but not the smaller stuff).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back