Free paper props getting put on eBay!?

He actually threatened me when I e-mailed him about posting copies of my work. PM me, and I'll send you his phone number and address.

Wonder;

Could we have a RPF member access only "free paper prop" threads/forum? At least the copying would be limited to members.

or;

Could we watermark free paper prop images and members could PM the artist for an image with no watermarks? Let the artist set criteria for requests?

Wonder;

Could we have a RPF member access only "free paper prop" threads/forum? At least the copying would be limited to members.

or;

Could we watermark free paper prop images and members could PM the artist for an image with no watermarks? Let the artist set criteria for requests?

The first one sounds like a great idea. At least it will stop (or make it harder for) people stealing/selling members' work.

It looks like yours kid. If I recall there was a guy here who made a Raiders of the Lost Ark map and somehow copyrighted it and was able to Vero people on Ebay. He may even be in that very same thread you referenced.

Paul

Yeah, that was my Raiders map. Luckily, since the artwork on the screen used map never appears in the film, I was able to create my own artwork and have it copyrighted. Ive managed to Vero about 8 or 9 of my indy maps from Ebay....Also, If im not mistaken, if someone gets Vero'd X amount of times it puts a mark against their account and will eventually be terminated.

So if you can get X amount of Veros against whiteboy, Ebay will probably terminate his account.

Hell, if enough people just complain about his thievery they might terminate his account also.

DS

Last edited:
Wonder;

Could we have a RPF member access only "free paper prop" threads/forum? At least the copying would be limited to members...
That is just the kind of thing that we should be doing on this forum, it's not difficult to do and membership should have its privileges. ;)

Wonder;

or;

I'd be in favor of a protected section. Good idea.
This guy has replied to my requests..at first he was pretty snotty...then the tune changed to, "look, I don't want to fight here...". Claims he used part of my design along with other designs to make his.
Still awaiting info from VeRo after my fax.

Umm, decaturvader. You may want to check on the source of that line drawing (b/w) that your claiming is yours. It's not.

It's mine. I posted that originally in post 271. The wackychimp link is now dead.

I put it up to be used, but it was small and hard to copy. From your drawing, I can see you just blew it up and traced it.

You probably shouldn't get bent outta shape over the ebay sale, if you in fact, weren't the owner, or artist of the original line drawing.

I for one don't mind when eBayers do this, it's all part of the game. What I do mind is one artist posting up someone else's work and starting a thread on how "they've been ripped off".

Thanks!

Umm, decaturvader. You may want to check on the source of that line drawing (b/w) that your claiming is yours. It's not.

It's mine. I posted that originally in post 271. The wackychimp link is now dead.

I put it up to be used, but it was small and hard to copy. From your drawing, I can see you just blew it up and traced it.

You probably shouldn't get bent outta shape over the ebay sale, if you in fact, weren't the owner, or artist of the original line drawing.

I for one don't mind when eBayers do this, it's all part of the game. What I do mind is one artist posting up someone else's work and starting a thread on how "they've been ripped off".

Thanks!

Sorry, but I have to disagree man.
First; thanks for being the original poster of that b/w image. You posted in good faith. I never said it was mine- it was my basis for my creation, no bones about it. I blew it up, printed it out in sections (6 or 8 sheets of paper) and started drawing, not tracing. I posted my full sized version for everyone, in good faith.
What this ebay'er is doing is wrong. He took from here, ran it thru a printer and is now selling it.

What i see here is you are ticked off at me.

I never said I was "ripped off". I brought what this guy is doing to the light of the forum and found others he has done this too. I am trying to get him to stop. This thread has also created the thought that we could have a members-only forum just to house our great works.

Peace.

He told me he changed my design as well. However, a couple of people have purchased his (then mine) and said that they are exactly the same with the exception of the weathering.

I think people worry to much about it (just my opinion, not an endorsement) I try to never change my actions based on the bad behavior of others. These people are doing something wrong, but they really are not doing anything to you (whomever they got the free item from.) I think that Karma takes care of things like this, and to let it bother you so much is giving them too much power. While I hate to see people not give away things for free, frankly the moment you do, you have eliminated any "damage" that a person then selling it is doing. I think people worry to much - you (whomever) did not make the paper prop for a profit, you are not losing anything, or out anything. It just seems like a mix of greed and pride that makes people upset when someone else makes money from it. I understand the feeling, I just don't think it is productive. The universe will punish those who do wrong in it's own way, don't let it stress you. :)

Well, I was giving the benefit of doubt, until I made an overlay of his map against my master file.
Now, I made the thing.....this is the image I used as my basis as it was right off the Internet:
goon.jpg

Sounds to me like your claiming ownership.
I'm not ticked at you, I just want you to get your facts straight. You're making a big deal about something you didin't create! You copied it! Looking at the overlay, it's obvious you copied it, and on top of that, you did a bad job. His or hers, is actually a better copy of mine.
If anyone should be upset about this appearing on eBay, it should be me, not you.

Bottom line is, I don't care about this guy selling it, but when somebody posts and makes a huge deal, it's quite maddening when you see that the big deal is about something you made and someone else is freaking about, claiming that it's their's!!. Let this go, cause we all know none of these eBay guys can mae paper props better than we can ;)

And don't claim a work is yours when it's clearly someone elses. Last i checked, that's a big no-no 'round here.

Last edited:
I think people worry to much about it (just my opinion, not an endorsement) I try to never change my actions based on the bad behavior of others. These people are doing something wrong, but they really are not doing anything to you (whomever they got the free item from.) I think that Karma takes care of things like this, and to let it bother you so much is giving them too much power. While I hate to see people not give away things for free, frankly the moment you do, you have eliminated any "damage" that a person then selling it is doing. I think people worry to much - you (whomever) did not make the paper prop for a profit, you are not losing anything, or out anything. It just seems like a mix of greed and pride that makes people upset when someone else makes money from it. I understand the feeling, I just don't think it is productive. The universe will punish those who do wrong in it's own way, don't let it stress you. :)

I believe my grandmother would say something like, "your post makes me mad enough to spit." I'm curious to know how many times you've had your free paper props copied. Have you even posted any free paper props? Do you only feel this way about paper props, or would it be the same if I dipped Brenton's National Treasure pipe into silicone and and offered it up on eBay. He's already made money off it once, so it really would be just a mix of greed and pride. Shouldn't he just shut his mouth and hope I pay some karmic debt later?

I spent TIME researching the page. I spent TIME and MONEY (the fonts I used in my Polyjuice page were purchased, as was the clip art) creating my Polyjuice page. I spent TIME and MONEY printing it. I spent TIME and MONEY aging it. I then decided to give my work to someone who I thought would appreciate it.

I certainly am not going to sit back and accept being taken advantage of in the blind hope that someday this manchild will receive his comeuppance. Karma may be a *****, but so am I.

I wholeheartedly support anyone who posts about having their free work sold on eBay.

Well, when my Kong map ended up on Ebay I didn't attempt to remove it from Ebay (because after all, I didn't create that map....The map was a hi res photo copy of the screen used prop.)...However I did contact the original creator of the screen used map and gave him a heads up.
(The funny thing is that I added a small tell to my Kong map....And I can even see it in the photos on Ebay, LOL)

On a side note, the artwork for My Raiders of the Lost Ark map (which was actually NEVER seen in the film) was my own design which I created based on the verbal information I collected from several Raiders sources (both official and fan based), which in turn makes the design mine and thus gives me a right to Vero it from Ebay every time I see one. I even got a copyright on the map itself.

Probably the best way to prevent this guy from selling your paper props on Ebay is to sell your own copies and for a cheaper price.....You might even be able to put in the item description that the other guy ripped off your design.

Last edited:

Yeah, this guy's right. It would be like griping if you donated something nice to charity out of the kindness of your heart and the people running said charity just took that something back to the store and got spending credit for it. Why should you be upset, you big silly?

:rolleyes

Looking at the overlay, it's obvious you copied it, and on top of that, you did a bad job. His or hers, is actually a better copy of mine.

What the hell? That was a pretty nice sweet low-blow :angry

I told you I did not copy it. WTF, if I sat down and took a gazillion screenshots from the movie and still did a "bad job", are you gonna say i still copied it!?!?! And I do not appreciate one damn bit you calling me a re-caster. I've never sold a damn one of these maps, only made one for myself and that is freakin it...then turned around and posted a master of what I came up with for our fellow memebers.

Sounds to me you just took this thread to the wrong direction bud. (n)angry(n)angry(n)angry

edit:
I just got to work still ticked off at the world about your rude comments.
You not only questioned my integrity, you insulted my creativity.
Nice one Hotshot. Thanks for startin my day off with a bang.

Last edited:
Yeah, this guy's right. It would be like griping if you donated something nice to charity out of the kindness of your heart and the people running said charity just took that something back to the store and got spending credit for it. Why should you be upset, you big silly?

:rolleyes

The purpose of giving something to charity is so that the charity can somehow profit from it.

The purpose of giving something free here is so that the members may have a nice prop for free....not so that they can then go profit from it on top of having one for themselves without paying for it. If the creator desired to make a profit off the pieces in question, they would have just sold copies on ebay themselves and never given away a single one. They WANTED THEM TO BE FREE. Selling them disrespects the wishes of the creator of the piece in question.

The purpose of giving something to charity is so that the charity can somehow profit from it.

The purpose of giving something free here is so that the members may have a nice prop for free....not so that they can then go profit from it on top of having one for themselves without paying for it. If the creator desired to make a profit off the pieces in question, they would have just sold copies on ebay themselves and never given away a single one. They WANTED THEM TO BE FREE. Selling them disrespects the wishes of the creator of the piece in question.

No, the point of donating to a charity is so that someone less fortunate can get something out of it.

In the exact same way that posting a free paper prop gives some joy to someone who might not be able to replicate something, or might not have the time.

I.e., In both cases, it's the heighth of scumbaggery to abuse someone else's benevolence for self-profit.

Had you actually understood my post, you'd see it was in agreement with people like Juno, and not going against them.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back