Free Custom Water Cut Aluminum or Laser Cut Acrylic - 6th of August

Placed my Holster parts order! $20 shipping to Canada vs finding the metal, cutting the metal (esp the round disc parts) etc. Works for me!

The design you submit must be of a certain simplicity. Too many lines or too complex and it won't show up as free.
You'll need to tweak / shrink / simplify your design until the price that it gives you is $0.00 for qty 1.

Copied directly from their front page:

Free Part Day is August 6, 2008.

To recap the details:

* We will have two stock materials/thicknesses available for making your part on Free Part Day: waterjet cut aluminum 6061 1/8 (0.125) inches thick and laser cut clear acrylic plastic, 0.118 inches thick.
* There is a limit of one design (DXF/PNG/GIF or Big Blue Saw Designer file) per customer.
* Designs are limited in size to 9" x 9". Designs must be LESS THAN 9 inches in both dimensions.
* We reserve the right to reject designs that are too complex or can't be made on the waterjet or the laser. (See Ordering Your Free Part, below.)
* You must pay the packaging and shipping costs.
* All orders must be completed through the online ordering process.
* Orders must be completed, including payment, on August 6, 2008.
* We reserve the right to refuse any free part day order.
* Keep in mind that the purpose of Free Part Day is to provide people with an introduction to Big Blue Saw's service. Please don't abuse this by attempting to go against the spirit in which this offer is made.
* You should review the original Free Part Day posting and comments for more information.

Ordering Your Free Part

1. You can use the Big Blue Saw Designer to design your part or upload an existing DXF, PNG or GIF file.
2. Choose 0.118 inch thick clear acrylic or 0.125 inch thick aluminum 6061 as your material.
3. If you've done everything correctly, the price will show up as $0 for quantity 1. If you see another price, your design is too large, or is too complex.
4. Order exactly quantity 1 of your part. If you want more than one copy of an item, you need to put it in your original design file and comply with the complexity and size requirements for Free Part Day. Or pay for it. If you order more than one free part, we will ship one. If you attempt to add more than one line item with free parts, we will ship you the first line item.

Seems like we are most all doing Bats...

Bats.gif

I needed one to go with my Superman Returns S...

I came up with a simple design for uprights for a saber stand. The cradles have a diameter of 1.5" so it should fit pretty much anything (without t-track grips) that's around the standard OD. The file I've got will fit 4 and will work for free part day with both aluminum and acrylic. If anyone's interested shoot me a PM, or if someone knows of a free file-hosting site, I'll put it up there for everyone. You'd have to make your own base, of course, but it shouldn't be too bad. You could even just have a pipe connecting two if you wanted. Also, you may want to edit the height of the bottom tab depending on what thickness base you'd like to use.

Here's a picture:

24eqtfc.jpg

Last edited:
Megaupload and rapidshare are two upload sites that I can think of off the top of my head. I usually use Megaupload, it's pretty straight forward.

Also, have you thought about using your remaining stock size to create a simple base that the uprights could tab into? A small rectangle (or other simple shape) with two slots for the uprights, and then either add tabs to the uprights, or insert them directly into the base. Saves on having to manufacture something else, as it would basically come as one simple kit.

I came up with a simple design for uprights for a saber stand. The cradles have a diameter of 1.5" so it should fit pretty much anything (without t-track grips) that's around the standard OD. The file I've got will fit 4 and will work for free part day with both aluminum and acrylic. If anyone's interested shoot me a PM, or if someone knows of a free file-hosting site, I'll put it up there for everyone. You'd have to make your own base, of course, but it shouldn't be too bad. You could even just have a pipe connecting two if you wanted.

Here's a picture:

24eqtfc.jpg

Megaupload and rapidshare are two upload sites that I can think of off the top of my head. I usually use Megaupload, it's pretty straight forward.

Also, have you thought about using your remaining stock size to create a simple base that the uprights could tab into? A small rectangle (or other simple shape) with two slots for the uprights, and then either add tabs to the uprights, or insert them directly into the base. Saves on having to manufacture something else, as it would basically come as one simple kit.

I actually did make one with a base, but I wanted wood and I'm not really sure where I want the uprights to be placed, so I figured I'd just make my own. Another thing is that with the base I can only fit 2 uprights, and I was hoping to make at least 2 stands.

Last but not least, this current design isn't eligible, but I'm sure some small modifications could be made so it'd come in under the $8 limit.

2d0z0r4.jpg

Here are the links for the 2 files:

First the one WITH the base: http://rapidshare.com/files/135352179/Big_Blue_Saw_Designer_-_Saber_stand_full.jpx.html

The one with 4 uprights and NO base: http://rapidshare.com/files/135352392/Big_Blue_Saw_Designer_-_Saber_Stand_FINAL.jpx.html

Just a little disclaimer for the one with the base- the tab at the bottom of the upright is .25" high, so there'll be .125" sticking up out of the base unless you change the file.

Last edited:
The complexity limit is that it must less than $8.00 when ordered in a group of 1000.

I was going to order some stuff for a PADD in aluminum, but with the cost of shipping I think it will be cheaper to just buy some styrene an make it myself, but that's because PADD's a pretty simple to make, some of these other designs are great for this free parts day.

The complexity limit is that it must less than $8.00 when ordered in a group of 1000.

That was the "old" quote. Now, the complexity limit is that it shows as $0 for 1 piece.

This contradicts their old limit, as I have a design that's $7.68/1000, but doesn't show as $0/1. So I'm not sure what's going on.

That was the "old" quote. Now, the complexity limit is that it shows as $0 for 1 piece.

This contradicts their old limit, as I have a design that's $7.68/1000, but doesn't show as $0/1. So I'm not sure what's going on.

I noticed that as well... the edited version of the stand with the base comes in at 7.88/1000, but doesn't show up as free for 1.

Here's that edited version, btw... if anyone's interested.

http://rapidshare.com/files/135364832/Big_Blue_Saw_Designer_-_Saber_Stand_Base-edit.jpx.html

I tried all sizes of an imperial cog and each time it came out to like $81.00

I guess the cog was too intricate.

Bummer as I would have liked to get one.

Thanks for posting this! A great promotion, even with the limitations.
I've had water jet cutting done before and their bulk prices are way better than I've been quoted by others. Here's a Storm Shadow/Ninja buckle I submitted:

Shadow.jpg

Can't wait to see how it looks!

Marc

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure I'm not the first, but I received an e-mail notification that my cut aluminum was shipped and should arrive on the 18th. :)

My friend who ordered aluminum received notice that his was shipping to, but my acrylic is still pending. I wonder if they did all the aluminum parts first, and then the acrylic after...

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back