Found!!! Obi ANH 'Gear'!!!

Originally posted by Avalon X+Oct 20 2005, 08:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Avalon X @ Oct 20 2005, 08:02 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-THX1138
@Oct 20 2005, 11:40 AM
Yes... what is it exactly?

- Jim    :fettrotj
[snapback]1100202[/snapback]​

Yeah.. what is the exact part?
[snapback]1100496[/snapback]​
[/b]
Haven't gotten a solid P/N on the booster/hider assembly, but anyone who has one will recognize what you mean if you mention the gun it goes on:

Browning ANM2 Machine Gun (.303 Mk II in British Service)
(Also called: Browning Air Pattern or Vickers Armstrong)

Some history on the Brownings from two of my sources:

Three "marks" (I, II, III & III*) of Aircraft Brownings were used by the Commonwealth Air Forces. They were Built by BSA, Birmingham, UK and J.Inglis, Toronto, Canada. The variations refer to the types of Placement and whether there was a Handgrip trigger, a Solenoid or Hydraulic trigger, and Open &/or closed Bolt firing, and the type of Muzzle Cone present.
They were Reversible guns ( double track bolt, for both Left and Right sided Feed,) and the sideplates were the typical Thin Version used on the US ANM2 design. Early in the War, they were used (and Lost) in Large Numbers, as Quadruple Turret Mounts, from Four to Eight per Fighter (Wing Mounts); as Single, hand fired Flexible guns in Flying Boats and Observers Positions, and so on.

They were supplanted by 20mm Cannon in Fighters as the war went on, and by both .50 BMG and 20mm in Bombers by 1944-45.
Their High cyclic rate made them unsuitable to Ground Use, except in an emergency (not enough cooling in still air, and the barrels were very slim and tapered)...There is an account of recovered Guns being used by the Danish resistance in 1944, aided by escaped POW- RAF Gunners...the rule was , short bursts only, well spaced, to prevent jamming due to overheating of the barrel.

Construction wise, typical Browning Rivetted design; Nearly All parts are NOT interchangeable with a M1919 series:
Some of the Big UK (wholesale)traders still have Hundreds of them in stock, in almost new condition.

BTW, the Links for .303 are different from those of .30 cal, but only in the diameter of the circular loops...I have made a "crimping" tool, which brings .30/06 Links down to a good, working Fit, and will cycle through the .303 FeedPlate. I DO have about 5000 original .303 Links in any case...Fruit of about five Years of Milsurp ammo in Aus. set up in Browning Belts ( UK and Canadian .303)

It was designed by BSA as you say to reduce the muzzle flash at night which could temporarily blind the gunner , making him less effective. good luck finding one , I've got a very rusty one in my collection.  The pieces to which you refer are two . The finned and internally chromed muzzle bush or bearing is threaded and pinned into the front of the barrel jacket and is not intended to be removed . The muzzle flash eliminator with cone attached is in turn threaded into the finned bushing . Look carefully at the illustrations and you will see a Hex nut just behind the conical flash eliminator
The other links posted throughout this thread provide a wealth of additional info. on these Brownings and the booster/hider assemblies. Here is one more:

http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/lrdg/mgs.html

Hope this helps, and once again, in order to avoid duplicated efforts and unneccessarily taxing the patience of our sources, please coordinate with Serafino, Killdozer, Lonepidgeon, and I before contacting anyone to make sure we haven't done so already. Any new sources will of course remain yours to explore, as you indeed discovered them first. :)

- Gabe

Wowee this is awesome....so we have it nailed now...and now I can;t wait to see the hunts and reproductions, and measurements to crop up.

Leaning towards wanting one now...replica of course...

if this keeps up, I'm going to have a heart attack.

incredible... :D :thumbsup :thumbsup

definitely deserves a good stick.

Originally posted by gw2tulsa@Oct 21 2005, 09:22 AM
Eh, you guys want a real challenge?

Tell me all the parts on the BTTF Delorean :)

-Gary
[snapback]1100870[/snapback]​

you know whats sad?

i would rather have a "real" obi saber tha a BTTF delorean...

Originally posted by oldken+Oct 21 2005, 02:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oldken @ Oct 21 2005, 02:27 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-gw2tulsa
@Oct 21 2005, 09:22 AM

-Gary

you know whats sad?

[snapback]1100943[/snapback]​
[/b]

Ah, but if you had a real BTTF delorean, you could go back in time, save the saber from disappearing, come back sometime in september of this year and make a post telling everyone what all the original parts are, therefore becoming the hero of the RPF.

-Fred

Woah...He's RIGHT. :p

B

Originally posted by Gigatron+Oct 21 2005, 10:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gigatron @ Oct 21 2005, 10:34 AM)</div>
Originally posted by oldken@Oct 21 2005, 02:27 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-gw2tulsa

-Gary

you know whats sad?

Ah, but if you had a real BTTF delorean, you could go back in time, save the saber from disappearing, come back sometime in september of this year and make a post telling everyone what all the original parts are, therefore becoming the hero of the RPF.

-Fred
[snapback]1100953[/snapback]​
[/b]

Originally posted by Brinn 71+Oct 21 2005, 11:03 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brinn 71 @ Oct 21 2005, 11:03 AM)</div>
Woah...He's RIGHT.  :p

B

Originally posted by Gigatron@Oct 21 2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by oldken@Oct 21 2005, 02:27 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-gw2tulsa

-Gary

you know whats sad?

-Fred
[snapback]1100953[/snapback]​
[snapback]1100991[/snapback]​
[/b]

i didnt even think of that angle... DOH...

well maybe we should get ot figureing out all the parts for that delorian.

Originally posted by oldken@Oct 21 2005, 10:19 AM
...well maybe we should get ot figureing out all the parts for that delorian.
I think it would be a great idea to start a thread for people to post items that need to be found and then have threads branch off from that... although these star wars parts that have recently been found are in the "Holy Grail" category, I have to believe that many here would enjoy finding stuff simply for the challenge. I think that we need to keep the momentum going.. :thumbsup

On a side note... I really liked seeing you guys in these threads stick to your guns (pun intended) even when others said that you were going in the wrong direction.

How do we know that someone hasn't built a BTTF Delorean, gone back in time and found the original parts, come forward in time and told us all what they were - kinda suspicious that all these bits were found at the same time eh, eh EH???? :confused

SAS

Originally posted by Sidewinder@Oct 21 2005, 12:22 PM
How do we know that someone hasn't built a BTTF Delorean, gone back in time and found the original parts, come forward in time and told us all what they were - kinda suspicious that all these bits were found at the same time eh, eh EH????  :confused

SAS
[snapback]1101065[/snapback]​

my mind just melted and oozed out of my ear canal... :confused

Originally posted by Montagar+Oct 21 2005, 11:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Montagar @ Oct 21 2005, 11:55 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-oldken
@Oct 21 2005, 10:19 AM
...well maybe we should get ot figureing out all the parts for that delorian.
I think it would be a great idea to start a thread for people to post items that need to be found and then have threads branch off from that... although these star wars parts that have recently been found are in the "Holy Grail" category, I have to believe that many here would enjoy finding stuff simply for the challenge. I think that we need to keep the momentum going.. :thumbsup

On a side note... I really liked seeing you guys in these threads stick to your guns (pun intended) even when others said that you were going in the wrong direction.
[snapback]1101038[/snapback]​
[/b]

I know. I had a thread for prequel greeblies and it just fizzled out. I think the problem is that this is sucha beloved saber, while no one seems to care about some other parts. Oh well. Maybe when the prequel chronicles comes out we'll get some interesting leads.

well the OT stuff is comprised mostly of real world parts slapped together...

any thing made of found parts in the PT is so altered you have to have 1,000,000. in machinary to recreate.

just a thought.

take dookus saber, even if you found the supposed weed whaker its made from...

see what im getting at?

maybe a few ep1 things, like the frikin ball slinging toys you can pick up at Tr'us that are hanging in anakins room and painted silver...

but a four year old could make that prop. :p

Ok, here's the best resolution pic I can find...I had a copy of the high rez once saved and have now been through all my prop Cd's looking for it...it's probably saved on an old floppy...and me with no floppy drive, cause I didn't need it...Oh well...

Anyway...I'm looking at the wire...i used to think it was just some bailing wire...however now I think common sense tells us that it's the kotter pin from the 'gear'...

It kind of appears flatish now that we know...

What I can't quite see is how it was used...my thinking from studying the pic is that the loop went around the gear washer flance whatever and was just passed out through a hole in the clamp and bent over...that's how it looks to me...does anyone else see anything different?

lightsaber1bgreallarger1hn.jpg

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back