FOUND! AT-AT helmet greeblie

Chris,

The hostmaster was theone I looked intoo (my Mum also had one btw) but the chargers I came across were all much bigger and more meaty. Did the charger pic you showed come from a Hostmaster or just a similar type of product?

Cheers

Jez

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BingoBongo275 @ May 7 2006, 09:13 AM) [snapback]1239848[/snapback]</div>
Chris,

The hostmaster was theone I looked intoo (my Mum also had one btw) but the chargers I came across were all much bigger and more meaty. Did the charger pic you showed come from a Hostmaster or just a similar type of product?

Cheers

Jez
[/b]

Hi Jez,

I am in no way an expert on any of these syphons but it looks like the bulb holder changed a fair few times over the years. The Hostmaster style ran from the 60s right the way through to the early 80s from what I have seen. The 70s version appears to have the bulb holder we are looking for or at least I hope its the correct piece anyway. If you look at the picture on the last link I posted it is definitely the correct charger holder sitting next to the hostmaster. There are a few sized CO2 cylinders so maybe the cylinders / bulb holders were compatable for each other it kind of makes sense as BOC still use the same thread sizes as most other gas companies to this day.

Anyway I have now seen three of the type we are looking for two with Hostmasters from the 70s and the other separate with 8 gram CO2 chargers.

Hopefully I can get one in hand in the next couple of weeks to sit next to a helmet and see how it looks.

I started off thinking this piece was mass produced and I feel that if it is the right piece then judging by the fact I have seen three of them in two days and a few in Ebays completed listings over the last couple of weeks I think they may be very common.

Unfortunately for a piece that up until three days ago went for under a fiver (according to Ebay completed items and collectors price guides on these) my auction is over 30 quid now obviously being too honest (or stupid) about this find is going to cost me or somebody else more than this piece is worth (that someone else also bids on SW stuff so well done to them for driving the price up).

Its always the same if we were all just a bit more patient and used common sense the prices on these things would stay down but we are not we are crazy mad Star Wars fans :lol anyway thats Ebay and thats the way the cookie crumbles. I have a feeling that these things will be back to three quid soon anyway :)

Anyway if I miss out on the auction I have a few leads on getting some cheap ones so hopefully that will come off. Nothing ventured nothing gained :)

Just out of interest does anybody know somebody that can make replicas of these in plastic? As has been said before if I can get a holdof one and it is the right part I am very willing to give it up for others to get a copy.

I kind of hope that once I have followed up with a few collectors of these things we wont even need to replicate these things and there will be enough originals to go around.

I just hope it is the right piece it does look good but the proof will be in the pudding when one of us gets one which I predict will be very soon.

Cheers Chris.

That's life :unsure

I too should've waited until I had found the correct part (I posted as soon as I realised what the thing might be) and bought up all the ones on ebay before telling the board. But I was just excited to share it with everyone.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voice in the crowd @ May 7 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]1239884[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BingoBongo275 @ May 7 2006, 09:13 AM) [snapback]1239848[/snapback]
Chris,

Cheers

Jez
[/b]

Hi Jez,

I am in no way an expert on any of these syphons but it looks like the bulb holder changed a fair few times over the years. The Hostmaster style ran from the 60s right the way through to the early 80s from what I have seen. The 70s version appears to have the bulb holder we are looking for or at least I hope its the correct piece anyway. If you look at the picture on the last link I posted it is definitely the correct charger holder sitting next to the hostmaster. There are a few sized CO2 cylinders so maybe the cylinders / bulb holders were compatable for each other it kind of makes sense as BOC still use the same thread sizes as most other gas companies to this day.

Anyway I have now seen three of the type we are looking for two with Hostmasters from the 70s and the other separate with 8 gram CO2 chargers.

Hopefully I can get one in hand in the next couple of weeks to sit next to a helmet and see how it looks.

I started off thinking this piece was mass produced and I feel that if it is the right piece then judging by the fact I have seen three of them in two days and a few in Ebays completed listings over the last couple of weeks I think they may be very common.

Unfortunately for a piece that up until three days ago went for under a fiver (according to Ebay completed items and collectors price guides on these) my auction is over 30 quid now obviously being too honest (or stupid) about this find is going to cost me or somebody else more than this piece is worth (that someone else also bids on SW stuff so well done to them for driving the price up).

Its always the same if we were all just a bit more patient and used common sense the prices on these things would stay down but we are not we are crazy mad Star Wars fans :lol anyway thats Ebay and thats the way the cookie crumbles. I have a feeling that these things will be back to three quid soon anyway :)

Anyway if I miss out on the auction I have a few leads on getting some cheap ones so hopefully that will come off. Nothing ventured nothing gained :)

Just out of interest does anybody know somebody that can make replicas of these in plastic? As has been said before if I can get a holdof one and it is the right part I am very willing to give it up for others to get a copy.

I kind of hope that once I have followed up with a few collectors of these things we wont even need to replicate these things and there will be enough originals to go around.

I just hope it is the right piece it does look good but the proof will be in the pudding when one of us gets one which I predict will be very soon.

Cheers Chris.
[/b][/quote]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ May 7 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]1239936[/snapback]</div>
That's life :unsure

I too should've waited until I had found the correct part (I posted as soon as I realised what the thing might be) and bought up all the ones on ebay before telling the board. But I was just excited to share it with everyone.

[/b]

Hi Marcus,

Yeah that is life but there is no point in crying over spilt milk whats done is done

I get the feeling judging by the more I have investigated these things that they normally go for between £3 to £5 and they are as common as muck so if we miss out this time I still think there will plenty of future opportunity. I am already trying some other sources which may prove successfull think I will keep my trap shut on them for the time being ;) if it comes off then you for one will reap the benefits on this :)

And for the record I think your original post that has hopefully sent everybody in the right direction is exactly the thing people are supposed to do in a community of hobbyists :thumbsup so thanks very much mate I for one appreciated your willingness to share. Hopefully you will have a couple of these bad boys dangling from your ATAT at a reasonable price soon :)

Cheers Chris.

Chris,

I wouldnt be surprised if the ones used on the original AT-AT's were in fact recasts off an original piece anyway so I dont think people need to buy 2, just one and get some copies made. (certainly the one I had was VERY heavy as it was made of solid metal).

As with the "Hovi mix" mic tips on the Stormtroopers, the studio made loads of casts so I recon they did the same with these for the 4 AT-AT helmets produced.

Cheers

Jez

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BingoBongo275 @ May 7 2006, 06:21 PM) [snapback]1239992[/snapback]</div>
Chris,

I wouldnt be surprised if the ones used on the original AT-AT's were in fact recasts off an original piece anyway so I dont think people need to buy 2, just one and get some copies made. (certainly the one I had was VERY heavy as it was made of solid metal).

As with the "Hovi mix" mic tips on the Stormtroopers, the studio made loads of casts so I recon they did the same with these for the 4 AT-AT helmets produced.

Cheers

Jez
[/b]

Well at least I got one of these :) hopefully more will turn up. Oh and hopefully in a couple of days I can tell if this is the correct part more importantly.

I will let you know when it arrives. Anybody know somebody who could make copies in the same material? If so I will lend themthis piece no problem.

Also Marcus as stated before this is your find you can have this original if we can get somebody to make copies.

Only time will tell if this piece is correct so fingers crossed and should be able to tell in a few days hopefully.

Cheers Chris.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voice in the crowd @ May 7 2006, 06:36 PM) [snapback]1240029[/snapback]</div>
Also Marcus as stated before this is your find you can have this original if we can get somebody to make copies.
Cheers Chris.
[/b]

I nailed this last year on RPB and Omega Wing :p

But I wont stand in Marcus' way

Cheers

Jez

You guys never cease to amaze me. The most obscure things seem to pop up here. I am duly impressed by the knowledge base and resources here. Good work guys.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Buckeye_01 @ May 9 2006, 06:59 AM) [snapback]1241160[/snapback]</div>
You guys never cease to amaze me. The most obscure things seem to pop up here. I am duly impressed by the knowledge base and resources here. Good work guys.
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Buckeye_01 @ May 9 2006, 06:59 AM) [snapback]1241160[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

I also found this independently about a year ago. I remember posting on the RPF about it in someone else's ATAT Driver thread........and incidentally got shot down........LOL. I actually owned the ISI Soda Siphon and it had one of these black CO2 cannister handles. As luck would have it....I lost the whole Soda Siphon. No idea where that thing went.

Dave :)

Crappy comparison but I think this is the part.
atat_part1.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ May 10 2006, 06:16 AM) [snapback]1241867[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

Looks like a match to me. :)
Could you measure this piece and give us some dimensions like the height minus the doohickie at the bottom and width of the cylinder. I'm curious how it compares in size to the Liss bulb holders I purchased. Thanks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ May 10 2006, 07:16 AM) [snapback]1241867[/snapback]</div>
atat_part1.jpg

[/b]

that's certainly good enough for me.

so who's molding 'em, and when do they ship? ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tk7602 @ May 10 2006, 04:35 PM) [snapback]1241982[/snapback]</div>
that's certainly good enough for me.

so who's molding 'em, and when do they ship? ;)
[/b]

Well Marcus it certainly looks to be the correct piece :D

Don't worry TK7602 when mine arrives I have had an offer from a member who is willing to make these. Hopefully that member can get a run on the go :) After that my original goes to Marcus.

I will post more when I have the piece in hand.

Cheers Chris.

I can remember talking to Jez about this last year but the subject still kept coming back to paint stirrers.

I had one of these sodamakers at home in the late 70's and I cannot remember the bobble at the bottom to me they just looked like the ones on the at-at pics, was there a UK and USA version?

Anyway I'm up for some resin copies :p

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back