FOUND! AT-AT helmet greeblie

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by kurtyboy, May 4, 2006.

1. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Update:

Looks like the one.
    [​IMG]

I always thought the greeblies that hang down from the grey hoses on the AT-AT helmets looked familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Then it came to me... remember those cumbersome soda syphons (if you're a youngster you probably won't. :p)? Remember the part that held the gas cylinder which you inserted into the bottle and turned it to carbonate the water? That part is usually called the 'bulb holder'.

Could that be what they used?

Here's an example of one of these bulb holders (circled in red). This is just one example I found online. I know this isn't a very close match but there were probably many different variations available. The shape is similar though.
    [​IMG]

And here's the AT-AT greeblie:
    [​IMG]

The AT-AT ribbed tube would be inserted into the open end of the bulb holder that the gas cylinder would stick out of.

2. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Certainly looks like your idea will "hold water" .....sorry I had to :D

Steve

3. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

Hi Marcus,

Is this the same one it looks like it apart from there is a piece which appears to be missing on the helmet the extra part may detach?

[​IMG]

Cheers Chris.

4. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Hey Chris, that looks just like the parts used on the AT-AT helmets :thumbsup
    Where can we buy those in the UK?

Keith.

5. voice in the crowd

Hi Keith,

Up late tonight mate :) I am working on finding these. I have obviously found this one and it is in the UK but I would think that if Marcus has cracked it by his first post these would have been a largely manufactured piece by on of the big gas companies.

Air products and BOC Edwards spring to mind and these pieces may have been used for soda taps in pubs as well I would imagine if these are made by a big gas company they are more than likely still making this piece.

Now doing my homework on this hopefully results soon :D

Chris.

6. voice in the crowd

The little CO2 bulbs appear to be called sparklets I have found some made by BOC. The same types of soda syphons also called sparklets are also made by BOC.

Now on to checking BOC.

Cheers Chris.

7. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]

Hey - are those the same green CO2's found on Han's belt?
    Awesome find,
    Chris

8. voice in the crowd

These are 8 gram CO2 cylinders they are used for the soda syphons and also vintage whipped cream makers and more recently paint ball guns.

Possibly the ATAT piece comes from a whipped cream maker or a soda syphon or the same part may be used in both it is just finding out the model of syphon. Looks like on some of the syphon models it is housed inside so cannot be seen. There are some technical drawings from users manuals online but haven't got the correct model yet.

Chris.

9. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

I thought TE told me they were paint stirrers..?..

Lynn

10. kurtyboy

Looks pretty * close to me :)

11. voice in the crowd

Well I have a bid on this one on ebay if I get it then we can see how it looks in proportion to a helmet and if it is the real deal then somebody can have it to cast up and get a run on the go.

Maybe I have given away too much info on my auction bid (not hard for the sleuths on the RPF to track it down) but if somebody uses the information I have given to outbid me then good luck to them. If somebody does outbid me using the info I have given freely to the community then please make them avaiable in a run and don't keep it for yourself .

Also if it is the piece I would think there will be more than a few out there as this would have been a mass produced piece so please don't let this out the hat so the price rockets. If this is a part from a soda syphon and we can prove the model type it came from then the whole syphon goes for a couple of pound and I would think the holder piece would be included so it will be worth all our time to not inform the sellers.

Lets just hope we can find the model / part number and get the proper piece.

Looking more and more at reference it looks very likely it is the piece especially the proprtions of the two cut out rectangles (one small nearer helmet cheek and larger facing out) in relation to the outer fin pieces.

Great memory on the soda syphon Marcus :thumbsup hope this turns out to be the real deal.

Cheers Chris.

12. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

I'm surprised no here is asking for TE AT-AT helmet owners to show pics.

I know TE had casts of what was used on his helmets, I know, I could have bought a set from him.

Lynn

13. voice in the crowd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lynn TXP 0369 @ May 5 2006, 02:26 AM) [snapback]1238623[/snapback]</div>

Hi Lynn,

Good point any good reference pictures would be great. Are you sure he said paint stirrers as the ends of these don't look like they would do much stirring as a practical piece. Are you sure it wasn't paint sprayer as this CO2 cannister holder would be used for many purposes for the 8 gram CO2 cannisters searching for this piece I have found three instantly.

Anyway any reference screen used or TE would be ideal :)

Cheers Chris.

14. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Well, I'm atleast 85% sure he called them paint stirrers, I do know he made casts of what was actually used though. I just didn't thave the extra $$$ to get them when I got his some of his AT-AT detail parts.
    Lynn

15. voice in the crowd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lynn TXP 0369 @ May 5 2006, 02:50 AM) [snapback]1238648[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Lynn,

I just left a message over at www.sandtrooper.net for Matt as I know he frequents that forum sometimes. Hopefully he can give us any insight into this piece he may have :)

Cheers Chris.

16. Firespray

Firespray Well-Known Member

That's got to be it. Way to go guys.

I had searched online as well and found a charger holder for a Liss soda siphon. It's looks pretty much the same but the fins aren't correct like the one you found Chris. I went ahead and ordered a couple thinking the fins would be an easy fix. Below is a pic of the one's I ordered from prairiemoon.biz.

[attachmentid=7899] [attachmentid=7900]

17. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You guys are awesome.
    I think you are all onto something. The AT-AT helmet is my fav helmet in all of SW and the thought of getting a hold of some of the real found parts is just too much. I may just have to do a run of them. If anyone wants to collaborate...

18. kurtyboy

The TE ones are a nice approximation but lack some detail.

19. Keith

Keith Sr Member

As this part has been found by Marcus and as Chris has found what looks like the exact same version of the part that was used on the helmets, then i think the right thing to do is let Chris or Marcus win the auction and for none of us here to bid on it.

Keith.

20. kurtyboy

I already told Chris I will not bid against him but if I can get the next two (well there are two on the helmet after all :p ) that would be great. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Keith @ May 5 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]1238827[/snapback]</div>

21. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Someone casts these up, I'm in for a set.

22. kurtyboy

I'll happily lend mine to someone to make copies from. I have also bid on one but I hope to get two :)

23. voice in the crowd

Hi All,

Well fingers crossed I can win this auction at a reasonable price I will give the original to Marcus as he really had the flash of inspiration on this.

I would love to get somebody to cast these up as well. Keith your mic tips are the best how would you like to try these out?

I would also say that these things would be mass produced so there isn't any point in freakin out and paying a fortune for an original and basically pushing the price up for everyone else. I think now this is found they may be a lot easier to find.

I am not going to pay hundreds for this thing if one or two come along ever week.

Ebay is an auction site and if anybody else wants to bid on the item then good luck to them its their choice if somebody from the RPF bids then fair enough.

I have mailed the owner to see if there are any markings or serial numbers manufacturers etc on the piece hopefully we will get a reply.

I kind of get the feeling everybody will have original pieces soon :D

Cheers Chris.

24. kurtyboy

By the way, I've noticed that the little handle on the end does not appear to be removable. Looks like its molded as one piece. Maybe this part was cut off?

And does anyone else think that there might be some other details were added inside the cylinder holder? Some electrical greeblies or wires or something?
    [​IMG]

25. Firespray

Firespray Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ May 5 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]1238926[/snapback]</div>
    It's impossible to determine from the photos we have available to us. In the movie version pic you posted, the interior seems to have a reddish tint. Although the pic in the Star Wars Visual Dictionary definately has some detail such as buttons added.

26. voice in the crowd

Hi All,

Just for the record this part is definitely made by BOC according to the seller it is on the piece unfortunately no part number on it.

I also think Marcus is correct the bottom piece does look like it has been cut off. This is possibly so it doesn't clash with the cheek tube???? and fits in place better.

I am unsure if it is just the light reflecting on the interior of the piece that makes it look like something is inside it.

Cheers Chris.

27. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Chris, but it looks like there are some wires or something.

[attachmentid=7906]

Nice pic BTW ;)

28. voice in the crowd

Hi HDPE,

Your picture looks a bit clearer and it does look like something inside of it.

Is it just me but in your photo does it look like there is something hanging down under it that has been cut at an angle.

[​IMG]

Could this possibly be some type of rope and there is a small knot or something hanging down. My thinking is the rope/wire/cable is attached with a knot through the hole were the piece on the bulb holder has been cut off the original. The rope then feeds through the bulb holder then through the flexible grey pipe.

Just an idea.

Cheers Chris

29. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Hi Chris, I think it would be best if it was molded in black plastic rather than resin.

Keith.

30. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

well, i'm building up an at-at helmet (technically my 4th, but the 3 prior attempts have been craptacular.)

i'm not so picky as to want originals, but i'd love to get a pair of resin/plastic/whatever replicas of those.

right now i'm using the ones from a starfortress helmet, which are similar in shape, but not quite right.

same with my grey hoses leading to them. i'm using gas oven hookup hoses which have the right look, but are a bit too small in diameter.

31. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voice in the crowd @ May 5 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]1239030[/snapback]</div>

Hi Chris,

You could be right but I wonder if it's not a gap between the "APH-6" and the faceplate kind of similar to the one you can see behind the greeblie's hose.

Interesting idea though.

A

32. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Is that black thing at the bottom not the gap between the ear and the helmet?

Keith.

33. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

nice work markus and chris. :eek

34. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ May 5 2006, 04:05 AM) [snapback]1238820[/snapback]</div>
    I have the TE ones and he did refer to them as paint stirrers, but I don't think he ever swore that's what they were.

I always thought they looked familiar, but couldn't quite place them. I suspect this mystery is solved.

Love to have a set if we find the right ones.

Thanks

35. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Judging by this pic there doesn't appear to be anything inside.

[​IMG]

Great detective work guys.

36. kurtyboy

Meybe it fell off before/during filming? Its there in publicity photos.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RKW @ May 6 2006, 08:12 AM) [snapback]1239347[/snapback]</div>

37. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

The wire here reminds me of the stuff inside the greeblie , what if they had some extra that they stuck into the greeblie :confused for publicity photos :confused

[​IMG]

38. RKW

RKW Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ May 6 2006, 10:01 AM) [snapback]1239355[/snapback]</div>
    Possibly considering their eye lense is falling off or maybe only one of the two drivers had them.

39. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

This has been a bug of mine and something Ive been investigating for some time now since I had a damaged SDS TIE lid which I'm going to make in an ATAT

The "CO2 charger theory" is one I put forward about a year ago and still something I think is correct. Ive spent a lot of time going round old hardware and junk stores and although have found things that are close, never anything exactly the same. However the principal of having a charger that allows the co2 blub to slip in via the side, and then screw into the main body explains the hole, base screw fitting and the "wings" required to help leverage unit when charging. I dont believe these are domestic drinks related since the old soda bottles the co2 chargers were used with were replaced by the larger "Sodastream" in the late 70's, but it could be linked to other areas (possibly hobby paint applications or even womens curling tongues which used the same size gas cannisters)

I put my ideas to John Mollo last year which he thought believable but couldnt say either way - despite having a great drawing of the modifications fro the TIE to AT-AT in his ESB art book.

Here's a composite pic I shared last year on RPF, RPB and Omega Wing more recently which show the part in more detail. Note that I dont have the full pics at this resolution, just the part details which were provided by a friend in confidence.

[​IMG]

Ive recently received a Laws/TE ATAT kit which has the greeblies and are probably the closest Ive seen up to now, however the one that Chris has posted seems the closest - * CLOSE.

[​IMG]

Cheers

Jez

40. voice in the crowd

41. Star Wars Helmets

Chris,

The hostmaster was theone I looked intoo (my Mum also had one btw) but the chargers I came across were all much bigger and more meaty. Did the charger pic you showed come from a Hostmaster or just a similar type of product?

Cheers

Jez

42. voice in the crowd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BingoBongo275 @ May 7 2006, 09:13 AM) [snapback]1239848[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Jez,

I am in no way an expert on any of these syphons but it looks like the bulb holder changed a fair few times over the years. The Hostmaster style ran from the 60s right the way through to the early 80s from what I have seen. The 70s version appears to have the bulb holder we are looking for or at least I hope its the correct piece anyway. If you look at the picture on the last link I posted it is definitely the correct charger holder sitting next to the hostmaster. There are a few sized CO2 cylinders so maybe the cylinders / bulb holders were compatable for each other it kind of makes sense as BOC still use the same thread sizes as most other gas companies to this day.

Anyway I have now seen three of the type we are looking for two with Hostmasters from the 70s and the other separate with 8 gram CO2 chargers.

Hopefully I can get one in hand in the next couple of weeks to sit next to a helmet and see how it looks.

I started off thinking this piece was mass produced and I feel that if it is the right piece then judging by the fact I have seen three of them in two days and a few in Ebays completed listings over the last couple of weeks I think they may be very common.

Unfortunately for a piece that up until three days ago went for under a fiver (according to Ebay completed items and collectors price guides on these) my auction is over 30 quid now obviously being too honest (or stupid) about this find is going to cost me or somebody else more than this piece is worth (that someone else also bids on SW stuff so well done to them for driving the price up).

Its always the same if we were all just a bit more patient and used common sense the prices on these things would stay down but we are not we are crazy mad Star Wars fans :lol anyway thats Ebay and thats the way the cookie crumbles. I have a feeling that these things will be back to three quid soon anyway :)

Anyway if I miss out on the auction I have a few leads on getting some cheap ones so hopefully that will come off. Nothing ventured nothing gained :)

Just out of interest does anybody know somebody that can make replicas of these in plastic? As has been said before if I can get a holdof one and it is the right part I am very willing to give it up for others to get a copy.

I kind of hope that once I have followed up with a few collectors of these things we wont even need to replicate these things and there will be enough originals to go around.

I just hope it is the right piece it does look good but the proof will be in the pudding when one of us gets one which I predict will be very soon.

Cheers Chris.

43. kurtyboy

That's life :unsure

I too should've waited until I had found the correct part (I posted as soon as I realised what the thing might be) and bought up all the ones on ebay before telling the board. But I was just excited to share it with everyone.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voice in the crowd @ May 7 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]1239884[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Jez,

I am in no way an expert on any of these syphons but it looks like the bulb holder changed a fair few times over the years. The Hostmaster style ran from the 60s right the way through to the early 80s from what I have seen. The 70s version appears to have the bulb holder we are looking for or at least I hope its the correct piece anyway. If you look at the picture on the last link I posted it is definitely the correct charger holder sitting next to the hostmaster. There are a few sized CO2 cylinders so maybe the cylinders / bulb holders were compatable for each other it kind of makes sense as BOC still use the same thread sizes as most other gas companies to this day.

Anyway I have now seen three of the type we are looking for two with Hostmasters from the 70s and the other separate with 8 gram CO2 chargers.

Hopefully I can get one in hand in the next couple of weeks to sit next to a helmet and see how it looks.

I started off thinking this piece was mass produced and I feel that if it is the right piece then judging by the fact I have seen three of them in two days and a few in Ebays completed listings over the last couple of weeks I think they may be very common.

Unfortunately for a piece that up until three days ago went for under a fiver (according to Ebay completed items and collectors price guides on these) my auction is over 30 quid now obviously being too honest (or stupid) about this find is going to cost me or somebody else more than this piece is worth (that someone else also bids on SW stuff so well done to them for driving the price up).

Its always the same if we were all just a bit more patient and used common sense the prices on these things would stay down but we are not we are crazy mad Star Wars fans :lol anyway thats Ebay and thats the way the cookie crumbles. I have a feeling that these things will be back to three quid soon anyway :)

Anyway if I miss out on the auction I have a few leads on getting some cheap ones so hopefully that will come off. Nothing ventured nothing gained :)

Just out of interest does anybody know somebody that can make replicas of these in plastic? As has been said before if I can get a holdof one and it is the right part I am very willing to give it up for others to get a copy.

I kind of hope that once I have followed up with a few collectors of these things we wont even need to replicate these things and there will be enough originals to go around.

I just hope it is the right piece it does look good but the proof will be in the pudding when one of us gets one which I predict will be very soon.

Cheers Chris.
    [/b][/quote]

44. voice in the crowd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ May 7 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]1239936[/snapback]</div>

Hi Marcus,

Yeah that is life but there is no point in crying over spilt milk whats done is done

I get the feeling judging by the more I have investigated these things that they normally go for between £3 to £5 and they are as common as muck so if we miss out this time I still think there will plenty of future opportunity. I am already trying some other sources which may prove successfull think I will keep my trap shut on them for the time being ;) if it comes off then you for one will reap the benefits on this :)

And for the record I think your original post that has hopefully sent everybody in the right direction is exactly the thing people are supposed to do in a community of hobbyists :thumbsup so thanks very much mate I for one appreciated your willingness to share. Hopefully you will have a couple of these bad boys dangling from your ATAT at a reasonable price soon :)

Cheers Chris.

45. Star Wars Helmets

Chris,

I wouldnt be surprised if the ones used on the original AT-AT's were in fact recasts off an original piece anyway so I dont think people need to buy 2, just one and get some copies made. (certainly the one I had was VERY heavy as it was made of solid metal).

As with the "Hovi mix" mic tips on the Stormtroopers, the studio made loads of casts so I recon they did the same with these for the 4 AT-AT helmets produced.

Cheers

Jez

46. voice in the crowd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BingoBongo275 @ May 7 2006, 06:21 PM) [snapback]1239992[/snapback]</div>
    Well at least I got one of these :) hopefully more will turn up. Oh and hopefully in a couple of days I can tell if this is the correct part more importantly.

I will let you know when it arrives. Anybody know somebody who could make copies in the same material? If so I will lend themthis piece no problem.

Also Marcus as stated before this is your find you can have this original if we can get somebody to make copies.

Only time will tell if this piece is correct so fingers crossed and should be able to tell in a few days hopefully.

Cheers Chris.

47. kurtyboy

Dzienkuje bardzo Chris. Much appreciated :)

48. Star Wars Helmets

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voice in the crowd @ May 7 2006, 06:36 PM) [snapback]1240029[/snapback]</div>
    I nailed this last year on RPB and Omega Wing :p

But I wont stand in Marcus' way

Cheers

Jez

49. Buckeye_01

Buckeye_01 New Member

You guys never cease to amaze me. The most obscure things seem to pop up here. I am duly impressed by the knowledge base and resources here. Good work guys.

50. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Buckeye_01 @ May 9 2006, 06:59 AM) [snapback]1241160[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Buckeye_01 @ May 9 2006, 06:59 AM) [snapback]1241160[/snapback]</div>
    I also found this independently about a year ago. I remember posting on the RPF about it in someone else's ATAT Driver thread........and incidentally got shot down........LOL. I actually owned the ISI Soda Siphon and it had one of these black CO2 cannister handles. As luck would have it....I lost the whole Soda Siphon. No idea where that thing went.

Dave :)