First time sculpt - Batman Cowl (WIP)

SampleName

Hey guys! I'm in the process of putting together my own batman costume, and I decided to sculpt a cowl myself. This is my first time ever sculpting, so I'm still learning things as I go. I'm finally at a point with the sculpt where I feel comfortable sharing some WIP pictures. The initial WIPs were very embarrassing! :lol Despite the mishaps along the way, I'm really enjoying sculpting! I'm going to try to get the sculpt all finished and smoothed while I have some extra free time during the holidays. I plan on casting it when it warms up in the spring.
Tell me what you think! Any suggestions?
DSCN1210_zps9490e881.jpg

DSCN1201_zps5033cd34.jpg

DSCN1203_zpscdb58cf1.jpg

DSCN1205_zps290dd66b.jpg

DSCN1206_zps922fe696.jpg

DSCN1207_zpsfea35f75.jpg

DSCN1208_zpsc3055c75.jpg

DSCN1209_zps453d74b4.jpg

Last edited:
Re: First time sculpt - Batman Cowl

Very cool! :) I love the chin guard!

I'm glad you like it. I'm still on the fence with it. I have some concerns about whether or not it will fit properly when I cast it, or if it'll stay in place when I do wear it.

I'd love to hear some suggestions or (constructive) criticism from you guys!

It looks pretty cool so far! The only hung I would suggest is try smoothing it out more before casting it, and make sure everything's symmetric:) good luck!

It looks pretty cool so far! The only hung I would suggest is try smoothing it out more before casting it, and make sure everything's symmetric:) good luck!

Thanks, and yep, these are just WIP pictures. I'm planning on getting it nice and smooth before I cast it. Still lots to do before it's finished.

I like the look of it! Love the chin guard piece as well. I think the eyebrow ridges might be a little uneven, though. Also I'm not knowledgable about casting, but that crease between the brows looks like it might be troublesome to cast - anyone else have any opinions?

I like the look of it! Love the chin guard piece as well. I think the eyebrow ridges might be a little uneven, though. Also I'm not knowledgable about casting, but that crease between the brows looks like it might be troublesome to cast - anyone else have any opinions?

As long as his first layer of silicone is smooth and I would suggest a brush-able layer, he should be fine with casting it the way it is. When he starts to smooth out the clay, it may even out.

Looks good so far. What type of look are you going for to me it looks like a mix of different styles which is a good thing :thumbsup

Yes, looking really good. I like the chinguard as well. Smooth, smooth, smooth! I use Citronella lamp oil for mine. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I don't have a specific design that I'm shooting for, but this is the design of the costume it will be used for. The dye-sub should be arriving sometime soon and I'll start a build thread once I get further along.
It was loosely based on the cowl design you see there, but I've put in some of my own design.
jla_cg_concepts___batman_by_danielaraya-d2znyew.jpg

This isn't a huge update, but I did some smoothing work on my sculpt. I think it looks different from the last set of pictures. Still some areas that I'm not happy with yet.
DSCN13411_zps57c3655a.jpg

DSCN1342_zps7e212b00.jpg

DSCN1343_zps908ef78f.jpg

DSCN1344_zpsf7387343.jpg

DSCN1345_zps7e8518e9.jpg

DSCN1346_zps8884281c.jpg

DSCN1347_zpse3fa66e1.jpg

Very cool! :) I like that design alot! Maybe, if possible, slimming it down a bit on the sides would make it look more sleak!

Very cool! :) I like that design alot! Maybe, if possible, slimming it down a bit on the sides would make it look more sleak!

You're absolutely right! I spent some time thinning down the sides today and I think it looks better now. I'll post some pictures once I have a more substantial update.

phnixdown said:
this is absolutely awesome I wouldn't have thought this is a first time sculpt good job and keep up the great work.

Thanks a lot! :)

Looking good...For your first time sculpting it sure doesn't look like it. You doing great. Keep it up. I like the illustrations of the batman reference too...actually those ridges on the neck seem like a cool and different version than the general ones.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back