First Project: McQuarrie 1/72 X-Wing

daverep

Well, here's my first project, a Ralph McQuarrie 1/72 Concept X-Wing kit from Ray22. Thanks Ray for all of the advice, it's much appreciated. It's been 30 years since I actually built a model kit. And the last model I made was an ESB Snowspeeder (Revell, maybe?) which I actually found when I was cleaning out my mom's house when she passed away last year.

So, here we go...the first pic is the kit parts I got from Ray. This is my first resin kit and I have to say the casting was incredibly clean! The second photo is of the cockpit that I decided I'd add a bit to so I sent ahead and primed the canopy because one of the things I thought I'd try would be to put some clear transparency plastic inside to simulate glass.

After studying the original artwork, I decided to add a small greeblie to the cockpit, just to give it something. The next photo is of the painted cockpit. It's probably overkill, but I figured what the hell. It'll give me some much needed practice. Next I created a pattern for the canopy windows out of paper that I then used to cut out the transparency sheet.

Luckily the transparency fit perfectly the first time (not sure how I managed that :confused) and with a single spot of glue, attached it to the upper half of the fuselage then glued the cockpit in. The fit of the transparency plastic nestled perfectly when the cockpit was glued in. Again, not sure how I managed that, but I'm not going to complain! HA!

I've now glued the two halves of the fuselage and then filled an am just waiting for that to dry. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

One question for everyone...how do I embed my photos into the post instead of putting them up as attachments? Doing that seems to be easier to explain photos.

Thanks for looking everyone! More pics soon!
Dave

After looking at my reference prints, I decided to try to make this look even more similar to the McQuarrie X-Wing. On the top engines, I decided to add the flaps that cover half of the engine fronts and on the back of the guns, there are some cone-shaped structures that I fashioned out of balsa wood and attached.

Next will be putting the wings together and then priming.

Hey Dave if you have the photos on say photobucket.com
run your mouse over the photo and a drop down will appear,
click on Image when you have it it will say "Copied" then
just paste it in your thread.

Hey Dave if you have the photos on say photobucket.com
run your mouse over the photo and a drop down will appear,
click on Image when you have it it will say "Copied" then
just paste it in your thread.

Thanks! I was wondering if that's how you do it! I guess it's time to get a Photobucket or Flickr account. I've been putting it off for so long! Much appreciated!!

Ray- You gotta' give us kit-builders something to do! :lol BTW, good luck today!

Which Dave is Dave..... Dave's not here man.... No I'm Dave! Dave's not here. No really, I'm Dave. Dave's not here man.

Underdog...no denying that you are THE Dave! I've seen your stuff, you are the Master! I am just a learner. :)

Okay back in action after a serious cold this weekend and then a migraine.

The fuselage is puttied and ready for a shot of primer. I've never worked with resin before and had a little slip when I glued the two halves together. Didn't know the glue sets so quickly! Literally seconds!! So, I had a bit of puttying and sanding to do to try and fix the off-kilter of the fuselage.
DSC_0044-2.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

Ray22 recommends that you insert metal rods into the wings so that it keeps them stable in case of an accidental bump. Unfortunately I couldn't find rods that were comfortably small, so the holes I drilled made me real nervous. I was quite happy that I didn't drill through the wings!
DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

He also recommends to insert metal rods into the two engine halves as well.
DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

Lasers have their fins on them and ready for painting. The fins required drilling as well and unfortunately my luck ran out on the last fin...I busted it! I'll have to try and fashion something later.
DSC_0059.jpg

Here are the completed wings ready for primer. After taking this shot, I realized that I completely and utterly failed to realize that I probably should have waited to attach the fins on the lasers. They're all facing different ways. So, I decided to cut them off and will try something with styrene.
DSC_0062.jpg

This is my droid on a stick. I've decided to wait to insert it into the model until it's completely painted. All of the pieces are drying and awaiting their initial coat of final paint.
DSC_0064.jpg

Again, thanks for looking!

Nice progress Dave, on the laser tips you can fashion them from styrene or I can send you another set if you would like just let me know.
Ray

Nice progress Dave, on the laser tips you can fashion them from styrene or I can send you another set if you would like just let me know.
Ray

Thanks, Ray! I decided to just go ahead and do them in the styrene. It's giving me scratchbuilding experience! :lol I'm going to spray the final coat on everything this weekend and then start my weathering. Will post some more pics when I've got something interesting to show...heh, heh!

Awesome work with the pinning!:thumbsup

I appreciate the compliment! I really can't explain how nervous I was to drill those holes. I had gotten the smallest metal rod I could find at Lowes and when I brought it back...too big. So, I went into our laundry room downstairs and pulled out one of the wires holding up the ceiling insulation thinking it was smaller. It was, but not by much. I learned that resin is a little more flexible than I thought which is a good thing! :lol

Digging through some of my old Star Wars stuff, I came across this. I completely forgot I had these. I can't remember when I got them and even who put them out. Thought I'd share...

DSC_0049.jpg

The McQuarrie concept X-Wing a little more close up.
DSC_0050.jpg

The details are pretty off..and I'm not sure what they were thinking when they modeled the engines. I definitely won't be using this as any reference, but I thought some of you might be interested to see.
DSC_0051.jpg

I do remember that the larger (1/72 maybe?) X-Wing was supposed to be Luke's X-Wing, but I have no idea why they would have put Red 3 markings on this. Typical. I'm thinking about repainting it and maybe updating it as best as I can. I also have an AT-AT as well in this series. If anyone is interested, I'll take some photos of that and post later.

As for the progress, the body and wings of MY X-Wing, they have FINALLY been painted their finish coat and tonight I'll start with the detail painting. That is after I get back from celebrating my wife's birthday tonight. Priorities, priorities! :lol

That is kind of like the Joe Johnston design I did a couple of years ago Dave here is the model.

Ray, you know what? You're exactly right! That IS a model (albeit a horrible one) of Johnston's X-Wing design. I stand corrected!! Meaning what I have...not yours. Yours looks awesome!! :thumbsup

Okay...I'm finally close to finishing. I know most of you guys can get this done in a weekend, but my schedule hasn't been allowing me the time I want to work on this. This is going to pic heavy...

Here are some progress pics...
DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

I decided that I wanted to try and match the McQuarrie painting as much as I could, so I roughed in some of the details in pencil.
DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

I finalized the lines with a Sharpie, it was easier than painting the details.
DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

Final look before I finish up by glueing the wings on. May touch up some of the sharpie work on the wings...not too sure I'm really happy with some of the small details, but man...it's hard working small details in 1/72! :lol
DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

One last post with the finished product. I need to clean up some painting and then stick on the wings. We've got nice weather in Maryland right now and the yard is calling me, unfortunately. Hope to do that this evening. As always thanks for looking! Hope those who've looked liked what I've done...always looking for comments!

Nice job Dave the pic of it masked up looks exactly like when I did mine here's a pic and are you ready for your next project? Lol.

Ray-
I thought of that when I masked it up. Remembered you sending that pic to me.
I never did finish it tonight. Kept getting sidetracked all night...

I am ready! I'll shoot you an email this week when I get paid. :lol

Man...after looking at my pics a little closer , I need to start using my Nifty-Fifty lens! Not enough depth-of-field!

For someone who hasn't built a model in 30 years your doing a nice job and its about enjoying the build and having fun.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back