First Project: McQuarrie 1/72 X-Wing

Re: First Project: McQuarrie 1/72 X-Wing-COMPLETED (FINALLY!!)

Okay...must apologize for the 2 month delay. Things really ramped up at work and at home and I simply haven't had the time that I wanted into this, but at last it's finished. I wanted to post a wrap up of my first build, so there are a bunch of progress pics.

After finishing the X-Wing, I decided I wanted to try my hand at scratch building a display base. I wanted to be as faithful to McQuarrie's original painting, but also wanted to do a bit of kit-bashing.

First, I made some recesses which would make up the wall. I kit bashed some models I picked up.
DSC_0174.jpg

I didn't really have any designs in mind, but wanted to stick to military kits.
DSC_0177.jpg

All primed and ready to build my back wall.
DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

And the back wall is finished...now on to the base itself.
DSC_0191.jpg

With cats in the house who like to jump up on my desk and other areas, I decided I should do something pretty solid for the base. So, I attached two 2x4s together using a sheet of lauan. I took a regular sized sheet of styrene and tried my hand at scribing some panels to resemble the bottom of the trench in the concept painting.
DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0515.jpg

As you can see, I had some issues...Bondo and I became best of friends at this first attempt at scribing.

The bottom primed and painted. It didn't turn out too bad, I guess...could be better, though.
DSC_0518.jpg

I attached the painted styrene to the base using CA glue. I didn't think it'd stick together too well, but I wanted to give it a try. Worked like a charm! However, I found out that when I tried to attach the styrene to the ends of the 2x4 using the CA glue, it was no go, so I Bondo'd the ends.
DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

Finally, I tried my hand at a little weathering. I didn't want to do too much as it looks to me that McQuarrie didn't seem to do much of that to his trench.
DSC_0324.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg
DSC_0327.jpg

And the final product. I needed to keep the whole thing kind of small since I really don't have much display space in the house.
DSC_0328.jpg
DSC_0330.jpg
DSC_0334.jpg

Finally finished! I learned a lot and hope to take that knowledge and build up some other kits. While I was piddling around with this, I acquired a bunch of other projects. I just hope that they don't take as long as this one did!

As always, thanks for looking and thanks to Ray for his help on this. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup I already have another project going and as soon as I get the chance, I'll be back.

Dave

Neat stuff! I like how you've got a Death Star vibe, suitably altered to match the altered nature of the McQuarrie design.

Thanks so much gentlemen! I really appreciate the comments!

Jason- In the painting, since McQuarrie didn't put much detail or actually just shadowed out any detail, I was kind of stumped on what to do. I really wanted to try a bit of scratch-building just to give me the experience. It was fun but a bit of a challenge considering we have no decent hobby shops over here in Hagerstown :lol, so I got what I could. Most of them were cheap snap-together kits. But based on your comment, I'm glad my thrown together plan actually came across! Thanks again for the comments!

Ray- Much thanks! It helps that I had a really good kit to start my return to modeling with! The same goes for the Y-Wing...but that's for my new thread I'll post this evening! :lol

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back