First Order Snowtrooper....who wants to get started on this?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by tubachris85x, Apr 19, 2015.

1. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Being an uber Snowtrooper fan, I can't resist the urge of getting this costume put together. I've made albums of all the available photos I could get!

[​IMG]

Album -FULL BODY- C7 2015

Album - HELMET- C7 2015

Album - TORSO- C7 2015

Album - BACKPACK- C7 2015

Album - ARMS- C7 2015

Album - LEGS/BOOTS- C7 2015

Now I already started researching the boots as those appear to be the only "found" item on the suit...which leads me to believe that the Kamik Canuck Snow boots are what they used...and sure enough, the white ones being next to impossible to find.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I may do is buy a pair of the black ones and paint it white using plasti-dip

Something else I noticed concerning the side-straps

[​IMG]

Lower Legs have material added to make the boot "taller" or cover pre-existing boot extension

[​IMG]
    I'm curious to see who will be up for crafting the components though...I'd definitely want to see the helmet made for sure!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    JudgeGerry likes this.
  2. Blue Leader

Blue Leader Well-Known Member

My question is... How the hell do you see out of that helmet? That visor is tiny. It looks like you'd be pretty much blind in that helmet. o_O

mvanwalks421 likes this.
  3. tubachris85x

Funny, I brought this up on facebook earlier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_snow_goggles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mikemakesmovies

mikemakesmovies New Member

If my memory serve me correct the original stormtrooper boots are black or another color but painted with white leather paint. Maybe the boots are painted over? Or I could be wrong and they were just specially made for the movie.

5. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, just like snow goggles, you look though a small slit to prevent snow blindness (which really sucks!). Plus it would have WAY more visibility than my Iron Man helmet!

6. tubachris85x

It's not that much more difficult to see out of than wearing a mando/Fett helmet....just don't have that center-vertical portion and it's essentially the same as what we've got here with the new snowtooper.

7. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

8. tubachris85x

Already went through that site, it comes up empty

9. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    tubachris85x likes this.
  10. TK2152

TK2152 New Member

Really looking at the boot in the closeup picture on the mannequin,it kinda looks like they did paint them white, which adds to the weathering look, but just an opinion.

11. torsoboy

torsoboy Active Member

I imagine the best way to see out of it, while not wearing the helmet disproportionately low on your head, would be to rig it with some kind of camera/goggle system. They've been around for a while, but have recently taken off in the drone racing crowd. You'd lose depth perception, of course, but seeing out of a trooper helmet has never quite been too easy anyhow. After a quick google search, I came up with these:

http://www.getfpv.com/fatshark-pred...gle_shopping&gclid=CKeyzsuJiMUCFVIV7AodQyIAbQ

You might have to get inventive and either remove the plastic housing, or redesign the headset entirely to get a slimmer form factor when worn under the helmet. I also don't know if there's be any antenna issues being that close, but eletronics-savvy people might just hardwire it in anyways.

12. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I don't think that you'd need to get all that sophisticated to see out of it, from the looks of the eye slits are pretty much in line with your eyes so the simplest solution would be to put some sort of mask, for lack of a better word, that goes around the slits on the inside and sits around the eyes so that it focuses your eyes on the slits more than the space around the inside of the helmet. It's not perfect but I think that it would help with the limited field of view and would be a lot easier than trying to rig some sort of electronics which I think wouldn't improve your view all that much anyhow.

13. torsoboy

torsoboy Active Member

That would likely work for a lot of people, no doubt. However, speaking from experience wearing Stormtrooper, Clonetrooper, and Boba Fett helmets, they aren't always the easiest to see out of since you're not always looking out of what you think you'd be looking out of, and those helmets have more physical visor area. Taking away any vertical "cheats" (such as in the case of Fett or Clones), shorter people, or folks with shorter necks might find it challenging to see out of without the helmet resting on your shoulders (going back to my "wearing the helmet disproportionately low" remark). The camera idea is just a possible solution, but we won't know anything about vision in these bad boys until we get to wear them, of course.

14. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Love the new Snowtrooper.

Having some fun in Rhino3d tonite. Need to finetune the fillets on the mic tips, but it's a start. Will move on to sculpting the helmet, which will be a nice challenge.

Cheers,
    Wasili

[​IMG]

15. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

16. jedichase

jedichase Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I got to check out the costume at Celebration and instantly fell in love with it. A friend of mine got a ton of reference pics of it. I'll try to get him to post them here.

I like the fact that the helmet is the same as the flamethrower helmet just modified with a face piece and dome covering it. We also noticed that you can peek behind the chest piece and see a black buckle/strap probably a shoulder strap for the backpack. The backpack had some minor chips and it appears to be made of fiberglass. Black band on helmet and shoulders were obviously decals. Looks like it won't be too difficult to make, the fabric pieces will take some time to make an accurate pattern.

tubachris85x likes this.
  17. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

It's invisible (white on white) but click to the right of the black color option and the white color option appears.

18. tubachris85x

Good to hear! I've posted a lot of reference pics already. I've got more curtousey of members that were there that I haven't yet posted

If you got good pics (or were even able to) of that angle to show the strap under the chest piece, that'd help alot!. The backpack being fiberglass? It's certainly possible, but sounds heavy

As for the fabric, my friend and my XO for the Blizzard Force found a neoprene material ALREADY with the polyester/jersey-style fabric on the inside, which looks remarkably identical to the material on the suit, and it's not that expensive at about $12 a yard. The hardest thing being, developing accurate patterns and getting someone who can sew the gloves. We feel that the Matrix-style duster pattern that's common can be used as a BASE pattern, of course, adding the extra details. Another thing to note, is a split on the rear-center of the "kama" portion of the duster which is not on the original snowtrooper.

The boots, I just bought a pair of the size 14s in black and I'll just paint them but I'm glad to have ID'd them!

As

- - - Updated - - -

I'll certainly be following any future progress!!! Join the Blizzard Force forums..we'll definitely give you a warm welcome!!

19. eifion

eifion Well-Known Member

Unlike the TKs I love this helmet design, very cool looking! Overall this costume looks more reminiscent of OT era.

20. deserthunter

deserthunter Well-Known Member

Nailed some white boots on Ebay for $60. Working on the fabric, only two places that I found are sold out and goes for $19-$24 dolloars a yard.

21. Mikki Haight

Mikki Haight New Member

You want a pepakura friendly model of that helmet, or a 3D printer model? Those complex curves around the (air filters?) look pretty hard to pep but I could get close.

22. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

deserthunter are you looking for similar tackle twill used for the Fett vest in white?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  23. deserthunter

The fabric is polyester jersey backed neoprene. That is why there is a sheen to it. Got plenty of twill

24. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

thats what tackle twill is... except the typical is polypropelene. If it were Neoprene backed, this would be pretty darn heavy and I don't think the sleeves would have weight buckling like they do in the photos.

Do you have insider information on the material?

25. tubachris85x

This is strictly what the plaquered from the C7 display stated. We found something similar actually, which is neoprene, but the backing does resemble closely to the suit material.

Now if this is also taclke-twill, that'd lead us somewhere.

26. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

how thick is the neoprene you found, for the backer?

It would seem overtly heavy for a duster like that, and EXTREMELY hot.

I didn't get to see the display at SWCA, the lines were just too long by the time we found out about the display. So while yes, the placard says it was neoprene backed, I'm not entirely sure thats what the entire duster is made out of. But I would definitely like to see the material that you found.

27. knightshade

knightshade New Member

I thought that some others might be interested in a reply that I got from Kamik:

So that would imply that the design had once been available in white in larger sizes as well...
    Tracking them down - that is a different matter all together.

That said - perhaps if there was enough demand, they would reconsider.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  28. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

Yeah, unfortunately thats been attempted here. Companies won't bring back a shoe line (especially those in the designer industry) unless LOTS of money is to be made off of it.

You would be less pressed to find a local cobbler and have them sew you on some of the white fabric to the soles.

29. deserthunter

You could get away with 0.5mm neoprene whish is relatively thin. I made my alien costume with a 1mm wetsuit with about 23 latex parts glued to it and coated with plastidip. That was hot. 0.5mm is used in snorkeling suits so I don't think it would be that bad. Locating 0.5mm neoprene is the easy part. I have two samples of polyester jersey coming. I will post pictures to see which is closest to the texture pictured.

30. Justicethebeast

Justicethebeast New Member

I'm definitely buying a couple pairs of these boots... In a couple of years they are going to be impossible to find like the Kenneth Cole reaction boots for jango fett.

tubachris85x likes this.
  31. tubachris85x

Yea the sad thing is that despite my large size 15-16 foot size, I was able to acquire a size 16 pair of Kenneth Coles. Granted, they weren't the "pit crew" style, but they're the exact same sole, but made into a leather dress-shoe style.

Speaking of boots..

I got this in just the other day. Got them brand new in size 14, and they actually fit w/ the liner. Myself and my friend are working on this suit and we're going to be experimenting, though, I dropped $100 on these as I couldn't find size 14 elsewhere so far. We're going to look at some rubber adhesive paints. I'm thinking something along the lines of a dye that can actually stain the rubber. The nylon portion I was told can be dyed, but the boot-sleeves would cover this up anyways.

[​IMG]

As I told anyone else interested AT ALL, get the boots while you can....

32. tubachris85x

Got the white versions in this week. These are actually size 12's but they still fit alright even with the liner

[​IMG]

To add, I did another comparison for further verification of the accuracy of the Kamiks to the boots on display with the costume

[​IMG]

I seriously don't feel these boots were custom made for the movie..

wh1plash and Hammer3246 like this.
  33. wasili

wasili Sr Member

Hey guys,

Got my Kamiks in today. Working on modelling the backpack.

And started machining bits and pieces. First off is the helmet mic tip, for lack of a better name.

Start of machining \/
    [​IMG]

Nearly done \/
    [​IMG]

All pieces machined, the white ones (machined from styrene) still need assembling onto the larger part. \/
    [​IMG]

Sprayed in primer. I will finish this on my lathe, and add the groove on the side. After that the white bits. \/
    [​IMG]

Up next is the first part for the backpack....

Thanx for looking.

Cheers,
    Wasili

smoothrat likes this.
  34. deserthunter

Anyone have better pictures of the legs or know if the quilting on the pants meets on the side or comes to a V in the front? Getting ready to start sewing. Thanks

35. thorssoli

thorssoli Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This seems like as good a place as any to post some work in progress:
    [​IMG]

Bayani likes this.
  36. deserthunter

Nice work so far. You going to do a run?

37. Hand-Schaub

Hand-Schaub Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for starting this thread. As a huge snowtrooper fan I'll be watching this one. This is the only new costume I considered making in a very long time. Nice work all around - in research and in production

38. thorssoli

I started a JY thread, but there doesn't seem to be any interest.

39. deserthunter

I am interested. I think because the post dropped back so quick. I did not even see it until now. Bumped it back up for you.

40. deserthunter

You should try posting on the blizzard force. I bet there would be a lot of interest there.

41. zeroginc

zeroginc Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

1978734_875730275798097_1515210407370905487_n.jpg

cant wait!...that coat and backpack though....

renegadedalek likes this.
  42. kev1969

kev1969 Well-Known Member

43. thorssoli

Not just yet. Had a couple of short-notice projects come into the workshop all of a sudden. Looks like it'll be a couple weeks before I get back to work on this.

44. DaveF45122

DaveF45122 New Member

Any one got updates? I ordered my boots last night. As I was going over the material with the ridges down the sleeve and duster what is that sewing stich called?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

45. zeroginc

zeroginc Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looks to be the same as the ESB snowspeeder jackets stitching but dont know the name. pleats? TFA xwing jumpsuit has the same stitching as well

46. Westies14

Westies14 Master Member

Delete

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  47. DaveF45122

DaveF45122 New Member

Did you get your boots yet for the First Order Snowtrooper?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

48. BobasDent1138

BobasDent1138 Active Member

I hope this isnt digging up an old thread, but just wanted to throw it out there that I just bought a pair of those Women's Kamiks. Yep, thats right. Desperate times, desperate measures. Couldnt find a men's pair anywhere, so I bit the bullet and ordered a size 12 womens. It'll be snug. VERY snug. But I'll update you all once they come in. For $60 I figured it'd be worth a shot, especially since they can be returned.
    UPDATE: After reading plenty of other SCAM reviews, I decided to get a refund and report the site if not refunded. What a doofus move on my part..

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  49. Dokworm

Dokworm Jr Member

I'm really loving the look of the Snowtrooper, I don't think I will be able to resist making a costume. Is anyone doing a helmet run? I might work on a 3D printable version if not.

BobasDent1138 likes this.
  50. BobasDent1138

BobasDent1138 Active Member

Talk to Animefan. He's got a BEAUTIFUL run of them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Necronaut likes this.