First Foam Build: Iron Man

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by BlueSteel, May 19, 2015.

1. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Hey rpf-ers,
    I'm new to this forum (actually, forums in general) so I apologize for filling the site up with threads of stupid questions :facepalm Figured I'd finally post a progress thread on my Mark III foam
    suit so here it is! And please I'd really like to see some feedback on the quality of the foam-work, good or bad! Also, this is my first build.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

dejordzta, Jmen and George like this.
  2. Armorer

Armorer New Member

Great :)

3. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Thanks! Any specifics?

4. blue2k

blue2k Well-Known Member

I think this would benefit from smoother cuts (scalpel blade etc) and a little heat treating to fix the form, but apart from that it is very neat.

5. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Definelty could have used some heat-forming, but I haven't a heat gun nor the money to buy one, as most of my funds need to go towards the ridiculously overpriced smoothon epsilon, along with paint and primer. Is it too late to heat form, and I'm guessing you're talking about the lack of curvature in the chest plate? Thanks for posting, and "neat" like cool or "neat" like clean? XD

6. Venomsuit

Venomsuit Member

You are on track for an awesome suit!
    What type of foam are you using to build this?

7. blue2k

blue2k Well-Known Member

Heat guns in England can be bought quite cheaply for around £25, they are kind of essential for foam work. Buying an expensive finishing product (like episilon) before buying basic tools is a bit "horse before the cart". It will trip you up at some point. My advice if you will take it? Buy a heat gun as soon as you can (or even borrow one for the job).

1: You can heat treat EVA foam at any point while unpainted. Treating after painting risks ruining the paint job (but it can be done if careful).
    2: Several areas need curvature, not just the chest. If you look at your reference material, you will see that although Iron man is pretty mechanical, the armour has an almost organic flow.
    3: Neat as in clean.

8. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

After months, actual months :), of searching and trial and error, I came upon hobby lobby, which sells very good sheets of foam (i think the brand is sillywinks) like $1.20 each (around 1 by 1.5-2 ft). They cut very nicely, even with a slightly dull blade. And of course, this is EVA foam, at 6mm. I found it much easier, and possibly more cost effective, than the foam mats people often get. Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Venomsuit likes this.
  9. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Thanks blue, I was trying to get a hold of one but from all the research I did (fortunately, a lot) it appeared like heat guns would help a great deal, but were optional. Mixed opinions i guess :) . For my next build you can rest assured I WILL be purchasing one of my own.:lol

blue2k likes this.
  10. Venomsuit

Venomsuit Member

Thank you for the info ma and good luck with your build!

11. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Wow. Startin to realize how awful the chest piece looks.... It's far too tall and again has zero curves. My first chest plate attempt was accidentally melted by a heater that normally was never on, and I'm starting to WANT to melt this one, but I'm not too keen on disconnecting the back from the chest and then remaking it, but I think it would look overall much better if did.

Attached Files:

12. Venomsuit

Venomsuit Member

In my opinion you should finish the other pieces of the suit first. Then look at all the pieces together...It may look way better as a whole. It may not be accurate to what you wanted, but it could still be a cool, unique take on the armor. And if you get to that stage and hate it, then you can just redo the chest and be happy :)

13. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Ok guys Im wondering about the legs and how they're supposed to sit on the body. I haven't made the plating for right under the cod but can someone help me out I've looked around a lot but haven't found what I'm looking for. Maybe a pic of just the boots and legs and cod on and then see how high it sits.... I think I jointed it a bit high, so I'll refit it and it should give it some more room. Also, I'm 3D printing the helm at my high school, (Rep 2) and wondering if xtc3d from smoothon is a good choice for coating it, i
    dont have a whole lot of time to finish the suit, as I want to build a different suit start to finish at the start of summer. Maybe war machine? Idk. Anyways second time around is always better, and like most all of these forum members, I've gained a lot of knowledge and experience just from building! Thanks guys

14. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Little bit of an update, firstly, need to remake the cod a touch larger. Abs won't tuck in under and I can't get into it. Thought out how to wear most of the suit, but how are the shoulders connected? Also, I'm around 35% done with both arms. Any thoughts? Oh and I assume an iron man red colored spandex suit should be the undersuit, but will I be able to attach joint covers on that material, and how much for what brands? Thanks, and sorry for the bombardment of questions.

15. ironmaided

ironmaided Sr Member

Looking good so far :thumbsup Keep it up

BlueSteel likes this.
  16. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Anybody know how to slice stls so they can fit in maker ware? I'm using drum guys Mark 3 helmet 3d print files, and the front of the mask as well as the jaw is done, but the back three pieces are huge, and won't fit in my schools replicator 2. I really need these printed out in the next week or so, or I'll be staring at a half finished helmet all summer oh, and any tips on cleaning out the supports and such? Thanks guys.

17. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

Use Netfabb basic. Just import the stl and use the slider for slicing on the side. Supports are usually easy to break off, you can use a knife or dremel if you really need to.

18. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Thx man, much needed advice!

19. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Netfabb worked perfectly, thx Bogleo! Here's some light progress the pics don't do the pieces justice but I must say I'm finally producing work that I'm legitimately proud of :D clearly the helmet is printed. Is xtc-3d a good choice for finishing the helm?
    image.jpg image.jpg

George likes this.
  20. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Done with the shoulders now, and just need to do final building on the arms, as well as build the elbows. All I have left for building is the cod, redo the abs, and then the boots, gloves, and helmet! Almost there! And also holy crap adding the shoulders made it look so much more..... Iron Man-y. Anyhow, I want to be done building by Thursday, which is gonna be hard, but hopefully doable. Finishing printing the helmet these last four days too. Now how the heck am I gonna get that to look decent:confused updates and pics soon.

21. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

image.jpg Heres a quick bust I guess of a bit of what I have. Sholders and arms are just slapped together a that tape for now, so it's not final. Thoughts? Homestretch with building, just then pelvis, boots, and gloves

George likes this.
  22. JWMines

JWMines Active Member

Looks clean man!

23. Bright

Bright New Member

I've lurked here before :D

Coming along well :)

Yeh XTC-3D is very decent stuff, be careful with accidentally filling in design lines ridges etc though :)

BlueSteel likes this.
  24. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

95% done with the pelvis! Gonna remake the abs tonight. Anyone know how to get those frickin abs to stick under the pelvis? Also, concerning the hip pod, the socket on the leg has a much smaller arc than the cod pieces space for it. May not be a problem but I really am getting concerned about how this will all be strapped up on me. Also, any brand/type suggestions on the spandex undersuits or whatever is best used. I haven't seen much on it in the forum :/
    Thanks all! Almost there....

25. Bright

Bright New Member

Not sure how to do things for your mark but here's how i've done my strapping :)

strapping example v01.jpg
    just a quick crappy drawing :D
    Red= Nylon Webbing
    Blue= Buckles/Fabric fasteners
    Green= Elastic

Make sure to sew elastic to webbing then glue the webbing to the object, as elastic straight to foam will come off quick, for obvious reasons :)

Sew as much as you can with webbing really :D

do loads of test wears to make sure it's comfortable and doesn't rub or is difficult to put on yourself :)

and any "morphsuit" should be fine :) there's options with removable hands heads and zippable flies too :p they're handy :D

26. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Cool! Thanks, how did you connect the arms/shoulders.

27. Bright

Bright New Member

The Shoulders are connected by two buckels on each shoulder which are attached to the suit, i used two to stop any possible twisting so it just goes up and down as i raise and lower my arm.
    And the arms are just a tight fit around just above my elbow with both pieces attached with elastic to each other, they aren't attached to the suit, just stay put with the foam holding against my arm :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  28. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

That's what I suspected :) as for the gaps between the arms, I hear to use air duct pipe or something but it's unbelievably expensive, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing...

29. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

I am now 99% done with the arms. Got them all connected and now I'm gonna see how to go about to attaching the shoulders, not sure if I should connect straight to arms or on the torso.... Thoughts? Really, all the building left is the boots, gloves (handplates too), and helmet. I also have to engineer some way to get that stupid pelvis to fit over the abs and back. Some pics (the second pic is a custom back I did because the template wasn't working for me. It's not that different but still proud of making my own piece and having it come out nicely :D image.jpg image.jpg

George likes this.
  30. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

31. Venomsuit

Venomsuit Member

Looking good !

BlueSteel likes this.
  32. Spawn10459

Spawn10459 New Member

Man i would love to do this. but i dont have a clue where to even start.

33. Jmen

Jmen Well-Known Member

Good and clean work) i like it):thumbsup
    but, where is helmet? >__<

34. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Thanks. And I'm trying to figure that one out as well ;) I was 3d printing the thing at first but the pieces just required so much time at my school where the printer is, and the pieces just kept failing and even the finished ones were fill of mistakes which I don't have the time (or resources, really). I've heard the dangers of making the helmet last because you would run out of steam but I'm the type of person that doesn't give up when there's only one thing left to do :) I'm already counting on doing two to three helmet attempts. I've seen some sad helms top off good suits and the results are so tragic :/

35. Jmen

Jmen Well-Known Member

will wait a result.)))

36. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Xrobots.co.uk my friend. Just be prepared to spend some money for the cutting mat, glue gun, heat gun, and blades and such. Good luck to you crafting is a blast!

37. harmfulAdam

harmfulAdam Well-Known Member

TalonSword likes this.
  38. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

After three attempts I have my first finished palm! Looks pretty sweet when paired with the arm (sorry for the poor pic), image.jpg but I have two crucial questions I just can't seem to find the answer to:
    1: where can I get the tubing for the gaps in the hand armor (from the wrist to the palm and through the fingers)? Is it paintable?
    2: where can I get some foam finger files? I am using the "easy iron man/war machine hand" templates but I couldn't find them in pdf.
    Thanks for watching for updates on the suit, I appreciate all your help! :) Almost there!

George likes this.
  39. George

George Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"JFCustom's foam files" - page 1 ; almost every Iron Man suit has a hand file included.Good job so far !

40. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Any opinions on paints? I've looked around but would appreciate a couple more opinions before I buy. Duplicolor seems promising but I really haven on eat the paint job perfect to redeem the first timer mistakes of my suit. Can't wait to wrap it up and start on my movie-accurate Mark VII!

41. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

image.jpg image.jpg Wondering what to do to cover up the large amount of space between the pelvis and the thigh/hip pod. I'm quite worried about it actually, as I hate the look of the gaps and stuff it just ruins the illusion I guess. Any help or suggestions much appreciated! Thanks

edit-

Decided to just foam build my helmet, I'm so frustrated with 3d printing I'm just gonna be done for awhile, but what file should I use, I know a few but could use some insight. Soooo close guys.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  42. George

George Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gaps are usually overcome by wearing black zentai underneath.However,you could customize your parts by adding foam here and there until the gaps are gone.

43. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Hi guys, slight delay on the suit, due to three files being unavailable as my windows is no longer working and I have only Macs, which makes Pepakura..... Impossible :/ If anyone would do a HUGE favor and convert these to pdf files that would be unbelievably helpful.
    If you don't want to or can't I understand, it's not a breeze, but I thought I'd try my luck :)

Here they are:

http://www.wintershade.com/therpf/Sharkhead7854-ironman-helmet-foam-unfold-by-

http://www.4shared.com/file/pKNtJQRm/iron_man_-_mark_vi_-_boot_-_cr.html

http://www.4shared.com/archive/q4GZ8Kp5/Easy_Hand_Files_Foam.html#

Thanks and here's a slight little update I dremeled some lines into some 2mm foam and stuck it under the arm to see how it will look purely as a test and I'd say it's a start. image.jpg Thanks!

George likes this.
  44. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

image.jpg Knocked the helmet out over the past couple days, it's actually nicer in person because the dark seam lines make the pieces appear crooked but the are actually quite smooth and even. Still need to straighten out the jaw, but I must say for only a second attempt after a quick test build I'm pretty proud :) It fits like a glove but I haven't attached the last piece of the back, really stressed about getting it to work, and about attaching the ears, which seems to require the bottom piece, any ideas Plz plz plz. Also working on the glove fingers, wasn't there some rubber IM glove people use for the under glove? Thx!
    ignore the two bottom pics, ones an earlier photo and the other got stretched out :/ ?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
    Bogleo and George like this.
  45. JWMines

JWMines Active Member

That's a clean helmet man!

46. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Thanks bro. Tbh I'm getting a little discouraged about this whole project, all these loose ends are just looking endless.....

47. Redman99

Redman99 Member

Hi Bluesteel,
    I got some rubber from Mockle. He sells them for the gap between the wrist and forearm, as well as between the fingers (which i cant use because my fat fingers....)

48. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Oh thanks man that's awesome I'll check him out

49. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Checked out some rubber options and they are out of my current budget :( however I've seen some very good foam covers for the legs at least. Kind of depressed about all the little thing that demand attention on the suit but my Epsilon Resin should come in a day or two. Earlier in the thread I was told that one trial kit was enough and I hope he's right :D

50. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Guest

Going to test scale some boots tonight if I get a chance, but first I think I'm going to try to make some gap covers. Here's one of the sections. I'm planning to attach it to the thigh and have it be able to slide into the back of the calf. I would love some advice for finishing this thing up, especially wondering if there is an iron man red color spandex suit it would maroon work? Finally, the fingers are being a huge pain and are frustrating me to the point if almost quitting and buying flipping 300 dollar or whatever gloves. Any ideas. Thanks for the good words.