Firefox MIG-31 movie aircraft

Hi guys,

Sorry been away for a while, had a big project to get finished and the UK lockdown hasn't helped.

Did an upgrade on my print head and power supply on my printer which has improved the print quality considerably for the large ABS parts. They were not bad but it's reduced an artefact that caused low spots on one side of the panel lines that would require some fiddly filling.

Print comparison.jpg

Old vs new, the top part is a worse early print, but you can see the now parts look really clean and crisp in comparison

IMG_20200422_171616.jpgIMG_20200422_171652.jpg

New on it's own
IMG_20200422_171752.jpgIMG_20200422_171916.jpg

Sent out a pair of 1/18th's and did a Voskov pilot, found a game character face that was a reasonable match with a small amount of tweaking

Voskov and Gant.jpg1-18 Voskov.jpg

Still finishing the 1/12th, re-printing some of the parts at my cost as I would rather the guy have better looking parts with less clean-up time.

Once this is done I can accept other orders.

Totally unrelated, but did some printing with some spare PLA filament as a test, couple of hiccups hence the multi-colour, and will be using it to try out my airbrushing skills with my newly acquired airbrush set.
Glowsmoka dragon.jpg

Last edited:
Finally getting some work done on my 1/18th.

Test fitting leading edge pieces. I have changed the model since this, hence the slightly over-enthusiastic trimming of the blue ABS!

The front leading edge piece will be a bit bigger so the panel line is in the resin part and the joint will be easier to hide.
IMG_20200506_180024.jpg

Adding the strakes and closing off the vents with 1.5mm ABS sheet
IMG_20200512_211033.jpg
IMG_20200512_215622.jpg

Discovered through a youtube video that Methyl Ether Ketone (MEK) is the stuff to bond ABS with, paint on the surfaces push together and in half an hour or less you are good to go.

Finally getting some work done on my 1/18th.

Test fitting leading edge pieces. I have changed the model since this, hence the slightly over-enthusiastic trimming of the blue ABS!

The front leading edge piece will be a bit bigger so the panel line is in the resin part and the joint will be easier to hide.
View attachment 1297941

Adding the strakes and closing off the vents with 1.5mm ABS sheet
View attachment 1297942View attachment 1297943

Discovered through a youtube video that Methyl Ether Ketone (MEK) is the stuff to bond ABS with, paint on the surfaces push together and in half an hour or less you are good to go.

Jon, I have a few friends who sre interested in 1/48 kits, as well. I will put an order in for 5, possibly 6 kits. Just let me know how much for these kits.

Jon, I have a few friends who sre interested in 1/48 kits, as well. I will put an order in for 5, possibly 6 kits. Just let me know how much for these kits.

I'm not ready to make the 1/48th kits yet, I have to get together my custom printer which is big enough to do a kit at a time at high enough resolution

Cunstom 8-9 screen.jpg

I have all the parts, just have to print the blue enclosure, build the light box etc.

They're both horrible. Use a respirator. They can both cause nervousness system and brain damage. 30 years of working in the F/X industry has all but killed my sense of smell. That's on the light side.

Instead of using etched brass or laser-cut plex for the instrument panel, you could use a photo of the
Instead of using etched brass or laser-cut plex for the instrument panel, you could use a photo of the full size set.......

View attachment 649894

Gene
I was curious about the black rectangle above the right rudder pedal. Zoomed in to it. Noticed what appears to be non-Russian words. Could see that it is English text. Couldn't read it until I did a screen cap, then flipped it 180°. Realized that the text describes the make and model of a compact radio, usually found on the back. Turns out it is the one that the production used to represent Gant's radio/homing beacon. You can see it is a SANYO radio, model RP 1350. So just bought one from eBay. Here's a couple pics of it from the eBay listing. Also a screen grab of the radio from the movie. Looks like they used gaffer's tape to cover the logo. There are a couple of these radios still available on eBay. Haven't gotten my radio as yet.
Love the movie, saw it in theatres. Wonderful work making a 3D print.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200517-123223_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200517-123223_Gallery.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 195
  • Screenshot_20200517-125917_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200517-125917_Samsung Internet.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 20200517_131337.jpg
    20200517_131337.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 20200517_143923.jpg
    20200517_143923.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 205
Hi guys,

Yes, worked on display landing gear for someone who asked for it.

Firefox landing gear.jpg

- and in doing so discovered two mistakes.

Had the missile bay too far forward, got it wrong as the two 1/12th scale studio modes are different to each other, so not necessarily wrong, but the missile bays and landing gear bays can't coexist otherwise.

Firefox missile bay.jpg

Also had the front landing gear bay door reversed
Firefox front landing gear door.jpg

Aside from dealing with the craziness of the world have delivered the first pair of 1/18th scale kits and am reprinting most of the ABS body parts for the 1/12th as the print quality is so much better with a improved print head.

Just printed a 1/12th nose which is enormous, will post picks when it's cured and cleaned up.

Also discovered the next thing in 3D resin printing, high-res monochrome screens which speed up printing time about 300%, perfect for 1/48th kits.

I was beginning to think something(covid) had happened to you. Glad to see all is well and the bird is looking fantastic. How big is the overall size of the 1/48 model?

No all well here, just had two big projects to get done so had little time to get anything else done.

Also changed a number of things from the first version of the 1/18th prints and reprinted about half of mine.

The 1/48th is about 40cm long 25cm wide, think I had worked out that I could get a kit in one printjob which with the new tech should be around a 10 hour print, with any luck.

Last edited:
Bit messy as I had just glued the nose part on with epoxy, and the resin custom mix looks like flesh in the pics, but here is a studio scale 1/12th nose section
IMG_20200911_190609.jpg

IMG_20200911_190518.jpg
IMG_20200911_190149.jpg

Have to fix the one canard leading edge, updated the slicing software and didn't realise it had overridden my slower lift speed, so got some layer separations.

Come to Papa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait. It will go right next to my F-14 in the same scale. My favorite Real Jet and Fictional Jet together.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back