Firefox MIG-31 movie aircraft

From memory, you wouldn't see that much of the plane in Firefox Down, but I remember thinking when I read it, it would have made a good film.
Just found this thread. Absolutely amazing stuff! Been a lifelong fan of Firefox since I was 10... it was the first VHS movie I ever rented.
Currently building a 1/48 Anigrand model... but I need bigger to scratch the itch...
Are you still doing kits, sir?

I just finished reading both of the "Firefox" novels, and the Gant character is very different in the books (and not in a good way).
Also, in the original novel, the plane is described as something like a large-engine variant of the MIG-25, which the real MIG-31 actually is, to a degree. In the sequel, "Firefox Down," the plane is described exactly as the one in the movie.
Would be cool if they could have made a movie on the sequel novel's plot but Eastwood was way too old by then.
Now, I'm envisioning the Firefox model in a diorama where they're hot-fueling it on that lake in Finland with the Hind attack choppers overhead and closing in to destroy the MIG, like in the sequel novel...

Yeah, IIRC the second book was written as a sequel to the movie rather than the first book.

That sometimes happens when the movie is a hit. The 'JAWS 2' novel and the second 'Jurassic Park' novel were that way.

I find it interesting. Fans of novels tend to complain about how much gets lost in translation (to the screen). But they still tend to grudgingly admit that the movie versions did wise things with the characters. They get tweaked to be more redeemable, several characters get combined into one, etc.

JAWS was an example of a movie that pretty much erased the book from popular memory. The book was already a bestseller at the time but it was so obvious that the movie was superior.

Weird this popped up today! I just thought about this movie yesterday and was thinking to myself "This would be an awesome model to make and have."

Last edited:
Has anyone here heard from Jon lately ? I’ve had a deposit with him for close to 3 years and I’m not getting any response to either of the emails I have for him .

Has anyone here heard from Jon lately ? I’ve had a deposit with him for close to 3 years and I’m not getting any response to either of the emails I have for him .

Is Jon also known as Firefox3D?
He last logged in last Saturday.

Perhaps anybody who has a deposit on this should follow your lead and post a message here to see how far he is behind and how many people are waiting for their orders.

TazMan2000

I know a metric ton of R&D has gone into creating the 3D model that has been so articulately created here, and can understand the desire to be the one in sole control of it, and thus to make money off the work, but man I wish he'd just sell the 3D files and let us print the thing in whatever scale we want instead of waiting for this process that is so obviously not working well. I think most of us would pay good money for it, and he could make money selling it on various websites as a downloadable file.

I know a metric ton of R&D has gone into creating the 3D model that has been so articulately created here, and can understand the desire to be the one in sole control of it, and thus to make money off the work, but man I wish he'd just sell the 3D files and let us print the thing in whatever scale we want instead of waiting for this process that is so obviously not working well. I think most of us would pay good money for it, and he could make money selling it on various websites as a downloadable file.
I totally agree with this. I have a 3D printer so I'd be into purchasing the digital asset, but wouldn't want this printed for me.
3D printing and selling your own creation works when it is a small item, but for a larger one, you run into problems with the time that it takes to print each model in its entirety. The exorbitant shipping rates nowadays are also a deterent, since it adds so much to the cost of the model. Selling the digital model online is the best way to go to reach a worldwide audience and thusly get rewarded for your work. The problems with print quality are the customer's problem. Nothing gets lost in shipping so no reprints necessary. The model has been printed several times so obviously there would be few complaints to deal with on customers who complain about an item no being printable.

Yes, there is always a chance to get your work stolen in its digital format, but the printer model can also be recasted and sold without the artist knowing as well.

I'm currently looking for a 3D Firefox such as this but there are no good STLs out there. I guess I'll have to wait for another artist to make something that I can download.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back