1/18 Firefox

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by IEDBOUNTYHUNTER, Jun 10, 2015.

1. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

I posted this here because i wasnt sure if the filming mini was exactly this size. I think it was a little bigger. So 1/18 works out to be 42 inches long. Hopefully we can get this into Kit form soon. Special Thanks to a few good friends who are helping out with the Printing and files. No names at this point not sure if they want any credit yet. But the STl is being worked on. and should have some parts soon. Good to see this getting done. Finally, ive wanted one since way back when i did my X jet.

Heres a few pics of the file. Color indicates parts breakdown. This is just a quick render. not all parts may be printed. Might get a few photo etched. still working on the details.

Al

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wes R and 32buds like this.
  2. 32buds

32buds Well-Known Member

That is my all time favourite movie aircraft! Will it be downloadable, or will you be selling sections through a 3d printshop , like shapeways?

TheNylonGag likes this.
  3. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

Still Discussing whats going to happen. It will probably be kitted. But i know i want a Fiberglass Version. might make available a resin cast version. I will let you know as it gets closer to molding.

Al

32buds likes this.
  4. 32buds

32buds Well-Known Member

Good stuff. I've already subscribed to this thread!:)

5. Martin-El

Martin-El Well-Known Member

Very impressive -
    42" long...! I imagine it will be expensive in the extreme..?

6. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

Thats why i would recommend the fiberglass version. Alot cheaper to produce. Resin is alot more expensive. But were hoping to sell some. So it wont break the bank account.

32buds likes this.
  7. TheNylonGag

TheNylonGag Well-Known Member Gone but not forgotten.

You know Al

I thought we were mates

I'm doing my thing, you helped me, you inspire me

AND then

Firefox

BANG

My favourite

42"

how am i supposed to finish my stuff with you flaunting your perfect stuff, an giggling it in my face
    i've always wanted this plane big and in my life

!/.12 baby

Gag

Just beautiful my friend

PS

MY FRIGGIN BOOK

8. Martin-El

This is good news!!

32buds likes this.
  9. JPCOdessa70

JPCOdessa70 Active Member

Very very much interested!

My dream is to make a diorama of the following scene.. where Clint is about to board the Mig 31....and the 2nd prototype is in the background...YES!! Very much LIKE!!!

Mig31Firefox1982.jpg PrevueloClint1-450x206.jpg

Opps...it is 1/18 scale very BIG I guess for a diorama...but it is cool to think of the possibilities....

10. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

Thanks guys.

Gag. Lol. You dont need the book. Your doing fine. I will PM you about the Firefox

11. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Project is in good hands.......I remember the x-jet....:thumbsup

12. Strode

Strode Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see you build this!

13. Galane

Galane New Member

This is going to be soooo nice! Won't have to think in Russian to build it. ;-)

14. Martin-El

Is there any danger of this being made in other (smaller) scales too I wonder..?

32buds likes this.
  15. 32buds

32buds Well-Known Member

1/32 or 1/48 would be perfect, but lets wait and see what the modelling genius comes up with!

16. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

No genius here, just like to make things. Not sure about a smaller one yet. Once this one gets done. If theres enough interest maybe will do a smaller version. The file can be scaled to any size. Possibly after the four foot X wing and sand skiff im working on.

32buds likes this.
  17. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Might someone outline the basic process that arrives at fiberglass 'kit' parts? My conceptual block is what to (efficiently) make the master from and then translate it into fiberglass tooling. I don't have access to CNC or CAD resources myself, other than 2D AutoCAD, so I am forced to carve it essentially by hand (old school) Would like to use cheap building foam sheet but haven't yet found a decent bonding agent for gluing up the profile blocks...

Regards, Robert

18. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

If you look at my profile. Under threads. Look for X jet. Theres a pretty good breakdown of pattern to finshed fiberglass part.

To glue the foam together i use 5 minute epoxy. The trick is to use the glue as far in as possible. You dont want to be carving the foam and hit glue. Doesnt always work that way. But i try. Its a pain to sand the glue. If i hit a spot i usually chip it out and fill with bondo

19. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Thanks for the tip, IED-BH. Great job on the X-Men jet, eh. Looks like you were using some grade of modeling foam, probably works better than construction panel...

Regards, Robert

20. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

Robert, Doesnt matter what you use as long as your building. As for the Fire fox. Parts will be hitting the printer Very soon. of course i will post pics and construction as i go.

Al

32buds and TheNylonGag like this.
  21. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

Alright. got some pics of the first parts to be printed. should be finished printing by next week. then i will clean up all the parts and test fit. then primer adjust anything that needs it. theres always clean up no matter how good the print is. once all thats done we will decide on how we want to mold it .

The panel lines are cut deep to help when we add the primer so they dont get lost.

Thanks for looking.

Al

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

32buds likes this.
  22. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Too cool! BTW, what scale (sorry if you already said...)
    Regards, Robert

23. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

1/18. 42 inches long

24. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Sorry, I knew that.. well, I was thinking something smaller looking one of the images of the printed parts in your hand. Fooled myself!
    Regards, Robert

25. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

Yeah. its hard to tell scale looking at those pics. the model was chopped into a few parts for ease of printing.

26. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Blimey, this looks good - great work! Suddenly an embarrassment of Firefox riches but there can't be too many after all these years. :thumbsup

27. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

YES, to long has the world waited for this... we are making it happen this summer. parts should be dont this week. then i will get to prepping them for molding.

LOL.

28. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

At this scale you should seriously give some thought to doing lightweight epoxy-glass castings. Dual market - I think you'd find the model can be adapted to EDF RC. :D

29. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

Thats all i ever do. Not a fan of solid resin parts. I only use resin for detail parts. Check out my X jet. All epoxy fiberglass. Only way to make it.

Nwerke likes this.
  30. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

D'oh, haha! Brilliant.

31. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

Fresh off the printer. oops soon to be off the printer,

[​IMG]

more soon.

32buds and Randy13 like this.
  32. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Hoo! What print tech is this? Looks pretty decent.

33. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

The parts look even better cleaned up. All i know is the Printer is close to $500.000.00

34. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Yeah, figures. They really shouldn't cost that much; there's some patent-trolling going on in that sector, or so I'm told. But at least it is driving a lot of innovation; home units which can do parts this nice - at speed and a sane price - are on the horizon. Congrats on the 3D model btw, that's some accurate-looking work.

32buds likes this.
  35. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

I cant take credit for the 3-d model. Thats the work of a guy who has been researching firefox for many years.

Im just handling the build part of this

36. jockdeboer

jockdeboer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you are making a list, put me on it.

37. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

We got big parts.

[​IMG]

32buds likes this.
  38. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Wow -- that's one huge model! Technology meets classic model-building! Looking forward to your updates.

39. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Yeah, I realise you would have specified if the CG was your own work. Pass on my congrats? I know an accurate 'fox when I see one, and there haven't been many. :p

Oh hell, now I have that big butts song stuck in my head. :lol That is one sexy (and huge) rear end. :lol

40. 32buds

32buds Well-Known Member

WOW, and WOW again. That looks amazing. Can't wait to see the finished article!

41. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

Will says thank you on the firefox accuracy. He worked for years to get it correct. The nose is perfect. He nailed it perfectly.

Me and will are getting glass versions of this. Any one interested in one can PM. Not starting a FS thread yet to early

32buds likes this.
  42. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

IBH, any chance Will might make some 4-views with x-sections available? I'd like to make one in 1:48 scale using hand techniques for the master (probably would go the vac-formed shell route... old school, I know!)

Regards, Robert

43. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Wow. Wish it wasn't so big. But it is gonna be killer.

44. Army

Army New Member

This is gonna be killer!! I must have!!

45. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

I will ask him. but not sure.

All the large parts have been shipped to me. should have them in a few days. heres a few more pics of the parts. All the detail is there. once i get them i will shoot some primer on them so the panel lines and details will stand out better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

46. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Me want!

Keith.

47. theprofessor

theprofessor Active Member

Oh, that's friggin' AWESOME! Beautiful parts there.

48. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Thanks, IBH. Very exciting project... R/ Robert

49. TheNylonGag

TheNylonGag Well-Known Member Gone but not forgotten.

Stunning Mate

50. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Oh it's glorious. And it's Will's - of course it is! Say no more. I hope he's doing better these days. :thumbsup