Firefly/Serenity

Huh.

I recently shared a file, I believe through dropbox, and I uploaded it via a web form and shared the link to download it. No software on my end, at least.

When I get home, I'll double check what service I was using.

Of course, the share-er needs a dropbox account... not sure if the share-ee needs one...

Edit to add: somehow I failed to notice the mediafire link. I'll try that when I get home, too...

I've made a Spacefaring Vessel Tonnage Certificate for those who are interested. It's made specially for Firefly and it's based on real tonnage certificates for modern merchant ships. Here's what it looks like when it's filled out:

Tonnage Certificate Example.jpg

The zip file contains a JPG with just the certificate, a JPG with the cert with stamps and signatures, and (for those who want to mess about with it in Photoshop) PSD files for the certificate and all the stamps:

Tonnage Certificate

Last edited:
I've made a Spacefaring Vessel Tonnage Certificate for those who are interested.
It's made specially for Firefly and it's based on real tonnage certificates for modern merchant ships.
Here's what it looks like when it's filled out:

Have you thought of mirroring your wonderful Firefly/Serenity graphics over at
www.fireflyprops.net

There are a fair number of Extended Universe image, document and money props over there,
in a Firefly-specific forum.

Thanks for another cool doc,
Mike
My Firefly/Serenity prop collection:
http://fireflydvd.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3541

I checked it out. Looks great. But they require a moderator to approve the membership. Every time I try to join one of those, the moderators never approve it. I think maybe there's some blacklist I'm on, or something.

Anyway, I have made another Firefly prop, but I think it's not something I can upload, since QMx were selling something very similar a while back. Anyway, it can't hurt to post a screenshot. It took me a while to get the fonts, spacing and to find and reproduce the text from scratch (especially since I'm working in an old version of Photoshop). The end result is ship's papers for a Sandfly transport:

View attachment 459521002.JPG

One thing I noticed is that the text (from the images I've seen online) makes very little sense: it rambles on about what other documents are needed, and it says what documents the Transport Minister must provide. What it doesn't do is go into any great detail about what real documents like this do - talk about the ship, responsibilities of crew, etc. Someone went to a lot of trouble writing out a lot of pseudo legalese gibberish that almost looks as if it could be real, if you don't think about what the document should actually be used for. Anyway, probably meant as a screen prop never to be seen closer than a few feet away, so maybe I'm being waaay too critical.

Last edited:
i found the source of that document when i made a set of ship's papers for our firefly rpg, many years ago. it's the maritime code for vietnam, dating way back to the 70's (it's been revised many times, but remains largely the same). i can't find the precise one now, but i did when i made it originally. i seem to remember it was the 1973 or 1974 version, if that helps. i offered to post my amateur ship's papers back in the day, but there were no takers, so they're not online currently. if you want a set, just send me a message and i'll email them to you.

- - - Updated - - -

your attachment links aren't working for me.. anyone else having a problem?

- - - Updated - - -

your attachment links aren't working for me.. anyone else having a problem?[/QUOTE]

Yup, it keeps saying invalid attachment.

Here's a couple of pieces of document text that you may find useful.

This is to certify that the Alliance Trade Authority has, according to the Guidelines for Approval of Commercial Vessels, carried out an inspection of the technical quality, control systems and operating equipment as well as an examination for the technical qualification of concerned personnel of the aforementioned ship and has also carried out a practical operations examination of the aforementioned personnel and equipment with satisfaction and that the both are found to be able to operate in the aforementioned scope of services; therefore, the Certificate of Approval for Commercial Operation is hereby issued by this Authority.

This certificate is valid until _______, subject to annual review arranged by the owner for corresponding endorsement.

And:

In pursuance of an act of the Parliament of the Allied Planets, entitled an "Act Concerning the Recording of Ships and Vessels," Malcolm Reynolds of Acheron province, planet of Shadow, having taken or subscribed to the oath of loyalty required by said act, and having sworn that he is the only owner of the ship called the Serenity of PORTORCITYNAME, whereof he is at present Master, and a Citizen of the Alliance, and that the said ship was built at XXXXXX on the planet of XXXXXXX in the year 2XXXX. And the registrar, having certified that said ship has three decks and one engine and that her length is one hundred and ninety feet, her breadth XXXXXXXXXX, her depth XXXXXX and she measures XXXX tons, that she is a Firefly, Class B, code 03-K64, mid-bulk cargo transport; and Malcolm Reynolds, having agreed to the description and measurement above specified, and sufficient security having been given, according to said act, the said ship has been duly registered at the Port of XXXXXXXX.

Given under my hand and seal at the Port of XXXXXXX this twenty-sixth day of May in the year 2512.

I also revised my Alliance Trade Authority certificate.

-MJ

Attachments

• ATA Certif Rev2015.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 168
Hi again folks,

I thought I'd better post everything I've been working on so far. All these stamps are updated from the ones I posted here a few days ago:

Firefly Rubber Stamps

zz Stamps (all).jpg

I've also included some Chinese symbols that I found and messed about with in Photoshop. They represent the Four Divine Creatures of Chinese mythology (the Azure Dragon, the Black Tortoise, the Vermilion Bird and the White Tiger) that guard the four directions of the compass - these are the symbols used for the four star systems in the 'Verse. A 5th symbol is used for Georgia - another dragon, so I just copied the Azure Dragon and made it yellow. I have yet to figure out a use for them, but anyway, I think they look neat, just as stamps that add a bit of the flavor of the 'Verse.

Also included in the zip download is a set of signatures that can be copied and pasted to documents. I always have problems doing signatures for my documents, so to avoid screwing up an entire document and printing it over and over until I get the signature looking reasonable, I figured I'd do some signatures and choose the best ones. These are all my own design, just basically squiggles that look like signatures, so they're not signatures taken from real people or anything. As with all the stamps, for the best results, use the PSD ones, as they are done on a transparent layer, so you can paste them over text or other stamps.

There's a mixture of PSDs and JPGs in there: the JPGs are not customizable and need a date stamp. The PSDs have a customizable date stamp included. My copy of Photoshop is old, so I hope the PSDs are formatted correctly. If not, I guess people can just copy the date stamp over to the JPGs and do it that way.

---

Out of all a ship's documents, the next one is probably the most well-known - the certificate of registry. I've done this one on 8 1/2 x 14 paper, because there's a lot of info on here. Basically, it tells all about your ship: its type and name, numbers, call signs, what kind of trading you do, your home port, where and when the ship was built, your company name and address, who owned the ship previously, size, types of engines. Everything anyone would ever need to know about your ship, other than where the bathrooms are.

Certificate of Registry

Certificate of Registry Example.jpg

The download includes an example for both a Sandfly and one showing Mal Reynolds' ship Serenity. For Serenity I've had to make up some info to get the sheet fully filled out. For example, no one knows who owned Serenity or what her name was before Mal bought her.

---

Next is the Master's Certificate (AKA Captain's License). I based this one on a modern Ship's Master's Certificate (the new ones are not all that different from ones dating back to the 19th Century):

Master's Certificate

Master Certificate Example.jpg

---

Modern cargo ships are also issued with a Minimum Safe Manning Certificate, so I figured cargo ships in the 26th Century would probably carry something similar. Again, I've included JPGs and PSD files, so that the end user has all options to customize the certificate.

Minimum Safe Manning Certificate

Minimum safe manning certificate Example.jpg

The document requires a minimum of 4 crew: basically I reckon the authorities would insist on a captain, first mate, pilot and engineer as a bare minimum, and that nicely ties in with Mal, Zoe, Wash and Kaylee. I reckon Jayne probably equates to a deck rating, though he probably thinks of himself as the deck officer, or perhaps even first mate.

Interestingly, the ship in the document I used as the basis for this is 1980 GT - that's almost the same tonnage as a Firefly (at least according to the Firefly RPG). The modern-day document requires such a ship to have 9 crew, which just happens to be what Serenity has (if you include Book, the Tams and Inara as crew).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back