Firefly fans rejoice

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Talisen, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Ok, this is the last thing I have on the go, you won't see anything from me for a while (really.)

This has been on the bench a while, half done, as I sat on the fence about the grips.Well I finally went ahead and tried it, didn't like it, tried again and somehow, the mixing of the 2 attempts yielded something that I liked (don't ask, I doubt I could recreate, nevermind explain ;).

I modded the safety (cut it off to clear the resin that was webbed between it and the main body) and did the same with the knurled caps. I also bored out the barrel a bit. Primed, black bbq paint, polished, 3 flavours of Rub n buff, satin clear, whatever I did to the grips, then reapplied some of the RnB.

So - here it is (finally)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

Beautiful. It came out great. I never get tired of seeing these.

3. wuher da brewer

wuher da brewer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice work.

4. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

That's absolutely amazing. Those grips are beautiful. I should post the one I had done one of these days...

5. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Shiny. B)

Love the grips. I was gonna ask until you said don't bother 'cause you cant' explain it. :(

- k

6. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's the best one I've seen yet. Even the ones that were being done here professionally don't compare, imo. I found them to be too brassy (which would be fine for the Serenity pistol, but not for the Firefly model).

Yours literally couldn't have turned out nicer. :thumbsup :thumbsup

7. Sulla

Sulla Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sweet pistol Talisen. Freakin' awesome.

<div class='quotetop'>(Nexus6 @ Jun 7 2006, 08:46 AM) [snapback]1257693[/snapback]</div>
    Not to hijack but... Is there anyway we could see a comparison of the Firefly Mal pistol side by side with the Serenity Mal pistol? I'd love to see the color comparisons, details, etc. I hope to be working on a Mal pistol in the near future but am undecided what version to make.

I'll split this into another thread if needed.

Again Talisen, your pistol inspires me. Freakin' awesome.... :D

Thanks.

8. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

That looks excellent. Nice work.

9. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i just picked up some rub n buff to re-do my mal gun. i did the same mods as you, but my paint job is lacking.

10. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Talisen, PM sent.

11. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

VERY NICE. I agree -- one of the best paint jobs I've seen.

Where does one get RUb N Buff? Can it be applied to a pistol that is already painted??? I used the Tin Bitz on mine with some black and brass highlights.

ted

12. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Thanks again all. I got my RnB at Curry's art store. Most art and some craft stores stock it. And you should be able to apply it over most surfaces. Just need to apply with a finger or cloth (maybe a brush, never tried) then after a few seconds, use a soft cloth to buff it up.

I've had a few requests for a more detailed description. I've also tried to describe my Grips adventure...

I started with Black Primer, then Black BBQ paint. Next it was polished using 000 Steel wool over the entire gun (mask the grips at this point) Then I started with Autumn Gold RnB, Applied with a finger, lightly over the entire gun (brassy areas - not silver parts), I went heavier over the corners and areas of wear. This gave it the dark brass appearance. Next was the Antique Gold RnB on the highlight/wear areas, again with a finger. Basically I rub a little on my finger, then I try to dab the corner, then drag in the direction of wear, when the finger is almost dry, I work it in harder to get the feathered edge. You don't want to get EVER edge and corner. Imagine it in a holster, where the edges would hit. then, think of the hand holding it and where it might rub.

Next I applied the Silver Leaf RnB - this worked well, I tried not to rub it too deeply in the grooves to allow some of the black to show through.

Then I sprayed a coat of matte clear (grips are still masked) - this will kill some of the brilliance of the RnB - we fix that at the end.

What I tried for the grips - I airbrushed Burnt umber over the entire grip. then using loose masks I tried following the wood pattern (on Phils cast, one side is a straight grain, the otherside loops back down) with Raw umber in the airbrush as well I darkened down the edges (again, think of where the hand would hold it). Next I tried a wash of almost black to get into those tiny grain marks. I then sanded/polished that with the steel wool to lighten it a bit (my wash definitely darkened the thing). Next was a coat of satin Clear, followed by another wash, and I rubbed in some graphite powder. And that was finished with another scrubbing of the steel wool (removes some of the wash and graphite from the surface, but leaves it in the grooves)

Finally, i reapplied some of the Antique gold and silver on the surface to get back some of the luster (which works nicely against the matte)

13. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just incredible :eek

14. hollywoodhardware

hollywoodhardware Sr Member

beautiful paintjob, one of the best I've seen

Thomas

15. KAVEEKS

KAVEEKS New Member

wow that looks great. I love that show, and I love that gun.

16. Howard

Howard Sr Member

Beautiful work.

Howard.

17. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Awesome job, wouldn't mind seeing more pictures of this. :thumbsup

18. QuasiOdo

QuasiOdo Well-Known Member

Wow. Nice job.
    Question: Why gold instead of more of a brass buff?

19. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

If there were a museum for gun finishes, this would be in it.
    Just lovely.

20. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Thanks again all, I'm quite surprised how well this has been received.

QuasiOdo, I don't believe there is a brass Rub n buff, which is why I used the Autumn gold over the black (for a coppery look). Then the antique gold for the highlights (if you look at a brass object, it does look very gold, but tarnishes fast). Well that's my excuse.

21. Too Much Garlic

<div class='quotetop'>(Talisen @ Jun 7 2006, 07:06 AM) [snapback]1257595[/snapback]</div>
    Any chance of getting some close-up pictures of these mods, please, as I need all the pointers I can get... thanks.

22. Tristan71

Tristan71 Active Member

Oh. My. :eek
    I am jealous. Very, very jealous. That looks beautiful.

Ok, now I need to know how to get paint off of a resin pitols without damaging the resin...I think I may have to re-do mine now...Rub-n-Buff, eh? Hmm....

23. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

Really beautiful, nice clean well detailed finish.

IÂ’ve been warming up to the look of the props from the show and movie more and more but just donÂ’t have the time to build anything for myself these days, wasnÂ’t there a rumor running around, maybe something overheard at Comic Con about a licensed version of this pistol coming out?

Jim

24. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Rub n Buff gives a wonderful metallic finish - been using it on frames and (now) models for a long time. I love that stuff.

25. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

NoHumorMan,

The mods were straight forward. Took a drillpress to the barrel to open it up some (about an inch deep)
    The Saftey switch was cut off completely (use a razor saw) to clear the resin thats built up. Same with the two knurled knobs, I cut them off to clean the area between them and the body of the gun. Plus made painting them cleaner.

Here are a few other pics that I have handy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tristan - Try an oven cleaner like Easyoff, put the gun in a bag, spray it liberally with the cleaner, and leave for a few hours, then run it under the tap with a toothbrush or similar harsh bristol brush to take the paint off. Might need to repeat a few times. And wear a respirator when spraying.

26. Too Much Garlic

<div class='quotetop'>(Talisen @ Aug 3 2006, 06:49 AM) [snapback]1292850[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks man... just what I needed. :thumbsup

27. Tristan71

Tristan71 Active Member

Thank you for the cleaning advice, and thank you for the wonderful close-ups. Again, wonderful job.
    Will you be attending DragonCon so we may see this beauty up close and personal?

28. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Sorry, I won't be at DCon this year - finances and work sked won't allow. :(

29. Tristan71

Tristan71 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Talisen @ Aug 3 2006, 08:44 AM) [snapback]1292990[/snapback]</div>
    That is too bad...but we can still drool over the pictures.
    Are you also a collector of other Firefly props? I have been a fan of the show since Serenity came out, and have built a Browncoat, boots, and am working on a pair of suspenders for a Mal costume for D*C...but I have yet to start collecting props from the show.

30. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Not a heavy collector, just the pistol, 2 variations of the money (actual paper and some on acetate) and some random coins.

Might consider getting Jayne's LeMat someday, but I have plenty of other prop projects ahead of that.

31. Tristan71

Tristan71 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Talisen @ Aug 3 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]1293052[/snapback]</div>
    I ocassionally peruse Propstore, and wish I had a lot of disposable income.
    Thank you again for sharing.

32. Eyes Only

Eyes Only Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(gojira61 @ Aug 2 2006, 06:39 PM) [snapback]1292696[/snapback]</div>
    A friend of mine that works at Universal said that licensed props are coming and the Mal pistol is one of them.

33. Tristan71

Tristan71 Active Member

A friend of mine that works at Universal said that licensed props are coming and the Mal pistol is one of them.
    [/quote]

Shiny. I hate to ask this, but do you know any other details about this? Time frame, price, etc? (I hate being "that guy" that asks those annoying questions...but someone has to do it.)

34. Too Much Garlic

<div class='quotetop'>(Eyes Only @ Aug 4 2006, 04:05 AM) [snapback]1293475[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]
    Cool. Would love to hear more.

35. Tristan71

Tristan71 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Talisen @ Aug 2 2006, 11:49 PM) [snapback]1292850[/snapback]</div>
    Hello, again, all. Talisen, I used an oven cleaner and elbow grease. These are the results:
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/tri...unstripped4.jpg
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/tri...unstripped3.jpg
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/tri...unstripped2.jpg
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/tri...unstripped1.jpg

For reference, here is a before picture:
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/tri...ol/100_0459.jpg

There were about 6 layers of paint, all Testors brand model paint. It took about 4 solid sprays with a soaking time of 30 minutes to an hour on each coat, followed by vigorous brushing using warm water in the kitchen sink...I managed to destroy a toothbrush and a scrub brush in the process ( :confused ) but I think it was worth it. I found a local store that carries Rub N Buff, and bought Antique Gold, Gold Leaf, and I found Spanish Copper...may see how that works out. I still have to find the BBQ paint, but that's all I lack. My grips probably won't be as fancy as yours; we shall see. Thanks for the inspiration on this...I'll post pictures of the newly painted pistol when done and sing your praises.

36. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Hey Tristan,

I had a similar time removing paint from a BSG helmet crest (the clearcoating was a real pain to get off)

The BBQ paint should be available in most hardware stores, it's basically a high temp paint - look for the flat black (I recently noticed they have a gloss available - you don't want that)

37. Tristan71

Tristan71 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Talisen @ Aug 18 2006, 01:04 PM) [snapback]1303063[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the pointer. I figured as much...I was going to hit Lowe's on the way home.
    The stripping was not as bad as I thought it would be. When I first heard of using oven cleaner, I was a bit skeptical...but it works like a dream. But, because of your skill in producing such a beautiful specimen, I now have about two weeks to get this done...on top of everything else I have to finish before D*C. Thanks.
    (Just kidding about that...I have been inspired to do a better job on my pistol, and I truly thank you for that)