Firefly - Deleted scene prop

I am curious to see if there's any more news on the build up since I am waiting for the stuff I need to make mine...need to live vicariously through others. ;)

I was sent these a few days ago...I thought they were funny.

......................................(modified photos)
pdvd286copy3cy1a2.jpg

dobson2a1.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(F-N-S @ Feb 24 2006, 08:50 AM) [snapback]1192310[/snapback]</div>
Hi.

Here is a WIP picture of my Encyclopedia:

I'm not planning to backlit it. A printed graphic glued on top is good enough for me ;)

Any idea how i could add the text to the left side?
[/b]

F-N-S or Propmaster2000,

Any further progress on the replicas? I know this thread turned into a the datapad prop thread but I would like to see a finished Encyclopedia replica, the deleted scene prop that I started this thread for. ;)

I had some rub down transfers made for the words under each "data rod" for mine...but I've not made any progress on actually building it.

PDA1.jpg

Dobson's PDA thing looks to use a cell phone display screen for the left side of the prop. Sortof looks like the Motorola RAZR phone display.

Great_Bizarro you're a little late to that party (just teasing of course). ;) All the parts to Dobson's Datapad have been identified. The main part is a Fellows Type 'N Go, the part where the CGI screen is a Fraklin Electronic Rolodex. All the models and such were discussed in the Datapad thread.

<div class='quotetop'>(dr_slurpee @ Jun 4 2006, 08:31 AM) [snapback]1255907[/snapback]</div>
Great_Bizarro you're a little late to that party (just teasing of course). ;) All the parts to Dobson's Datapad have been identified. The main part is a Fellows Type 'N Go, the part where the CGI screen is a Fraklin Electronic Rolodex. All the models and such were discussed in the Datapad thread.
[/b]
Missed that one, I found the other thread, you are right on that definatly late to that party. Anyone pictures of a buildup of one? I see where Amish did one but the photo links are no longer working.

Here is a picture of my Datapad:
img17088yi.jpg

And to get back on topic: My encyclopedia looks exactly like in my last picture. No progress there :(

<div class='quotetop'>(Great_Bizarro @ Jun 4 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]1255995[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(dr_slurpee @ Jun 4 2006, 08:31 AM) [snapback]1255907[/snapback]
[/b]
Missed that one, I found the other thread, you are right on that definatly late to that party. Anyone pictures of a buildup of one? I see where Amish did one but the photo links are no longer working.
[/b][/quote]

I'll have to watch the scene again as there are some inconsistencies in the shots. I've added a couple closeups to illustrate. If you look at the spine after Simon inserts the rod, the end appears to be a bit wider and black but the rod he chooses is a dark blue/purple, longer and skinny.

Also, I'm surprised I didn't see this before but the rod he chooses appears to be a PDA stylus. I've blown up the sections where you can see the end the person would grab has a small tab on it like many PDA sylus have and when he inserts it you can see the tapered, bright orange tip. The probably wanted to make it easier for the actor to insert the rod into the small hole that he probably couldn't see. May have even swapped it on the set after he had some problems with it... Hmmm....

EncyclopediaSpine.jpg

Encyclopedia_Stylus.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(dr_slurpee @ Jun 2 2006, 01:51 PM) [snapback]1254992[/snapback]</div>
I had some rub down transfers made for the words under each "data rod" for mine...but I've not made any progress on actually building it.
[/b]

Where did you get those made?

Berry

SurferGeek, I think the rod you're talking about is the one that looks like it has a transparent pink end to me, but that's neither here nor there at this stage. It's not an inconsistancy, that rod has a black end.

encyclopedia-1.jpg

Also it doesn't look to me like the end is tapered at all. The rods appear to have a smaller end on them though. Looks like most of them have a clear or solid coloured rod with a metalic looking sleeve on the outside of them. The shadows on the top three rods seem to indicate a difference in diameter part way up the rods (in different positions.

Berry, I got the rub downs made at a place in Vancouver BC. I was lucky to be able to fit them on with some other rub downs that were being made for another project. If I have any extras left over (in case I screw up some how and need to use the extras) then I'll certainly post them. :) I can give you info on where to get them made though it's very costly unless you're doing a bunch...if there was enough interest I could probably arrange a run of them at or around cost.

I also thought I'd add that it seems that someone shifted the rods around from one episode to another, in the deleted scene they are in a different order than in "Our Dear Mrs Reynolds".

The top one is a light solid green with what looks like a copper/goldish sleeve on the end.

The second looks like a clear pink with a copper/goldish sleeve with a black end.

Third looks like the clear pink again with a copper/goldish ring followed by a silver sleeve.

4th is the blue weird one.

5th is a gold looking rod with a silver sleeve, with possibly a copper/goldish band in the middle of the sleeve.

The last one looks like it might be all silver with black rings.

What's everyone else think?

I was just wondering if there was any more progress on this project, or if there was any chance of a tutorial.

Also, did you guys see the write up about this prop in the Firefly Visual Companion? Some interesting insights.

<div class='quotetop'>(Zeppo @ Nov 3 2006, 09:34 PM) [snapback]1350219[/snapback]</div>
I was just wondering if there was any more progress on this project, or if there was any chance of a tutorial.

Also, did you guys see the write up about this prop in the Firefly Visual Companion? Some interesting insights.
[/b]

Email Coyle, he may know something about these.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back