Firefly - Deleted scene prop

Originally posted by Kaylee@Dec 2 2005, 01:08 AM
Anyhow... I'm more partial to Dobson's Cortex-hookup-blackberry thing... any ideas on that thing?
[snapback]1126323[/snapback]​

Yeah. I know exactly what the basis for Dobson's Cortex device is. I recognized it right away. It's a TypeN'Go, made by Fellowes, originally available some four years ago. It was a specialized case for Palm and Handspring PDAs that incorporated a workable keyboard and function keys right into the case. I don't think Fellowes makes them anymore, but they can still be found through some PDA parts dealers if you look hard enough, probably for cheap.

Here's a web review of the TypeN'Go with pictures. Compare it to Dobson's device and see if you don't agree...

TypeNGo Review

Wow -- nice hunting.

For what it's worth, I did find a name on mine -- "RAFALE" is molded into the plastic on the calculator half. None of the innards said symnova, but it looks identical to the pictures posted.

Perhaps the same manufacturer used different names at different points?

Oh -- on the Type'N'Go... just got one -- it does look right.. just needs the thingie on the left stuck in there in place of where the PDA would go. I suppose that would need to be vac formed? Also, any chance that rubber-looking piece across the top was pulled off of something else?
Anyhow -- the right keyboard half seems pretty solid -- the left feels almost shoddy.. might be different with the PDA/whatever in it. The whole case is made of a lighter weight plastic and feels definately "toy like" compared to the planner/encyclopedia.

Originally posted by dr_slurpee@Dec 24 2005, 05:41 PM
How are you people finding them on ebay? Damn you. lol
[snapback]1143048[/snapback]​

:lol Just thinking the same thing. I've been searching constantly and I've been coming up with nothing

Originally posted by pixellent+Dec 19 2005, 01:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pixellent @ Dec 19 2005, 01:41 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Kaylee
@Dec 2 2005, 01:08 AM
Anyhow... I'm more partial to Dobson's Cortex-hookup-blackberry thing... any ideas on that thing?
[snapback]1126323[/snapback]​

Yeah. I know exactly what the basis for Dobson's Cortex device is. I recognized it right away. It's a TypeN'Go, made by Fellowes, originally available some four years ago. It was a specialized case for Palm and Handspring PDAs that incorporated a workable keyboard and function keys right into the case. I don't think Fellowes makes them anymore, but they can still be found through some PDA parts dealers if you look hard enough, probably for cheap.

Here's a web review of the TypeN'Go with pictures. Compare it to Dobson's device and see if you don't agree...

TypeNGo Review
[snapback]1139413[/snapback]​
[/b]

I faintly recall that prop... Any screencaps of it?

Originally posted by Guardian Devil+Dec 24 2005, 01:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guardian Devil @ Dec 24 2005, 01:07 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-dr_slurpee
@Dec 24 2005, 05:41 PM
How are you people finding them on ebay? Damn you. lol
[snapback]1143048[/snapback]​

:lol Just thinking the same thing. I've been searching constantly and I've been coming up with nothing
[snapback]1143064[/snapback]​
[/b]

Search for "PLANNER" and "ALUMINUM" in both title and description. Then, start sifting through the results and looking at the photos 'cuz most sellers don't know what they got. As evidenced by me being the only person to bid on it.

P.S. There's one up for auction right NOW on eBay. Same seller I got mine from.

Thanks for the heads up. :) I'd be all over it if he would ship to the UK. Guess thats why its not coming up in my searches.
Looks like this ones yours Dr_Slurpee :thumbsup

On Dobson's PDA thing -- here's a couple images I found online. I KNOW the kind soul who took these screencaptures is a member here, but for the life of me I can't remember your site. (I'm sorry.) Anyhow, his site has all sorts of wonderful images of this, Mal and Jayne's sidearms, and I think a couple other things from the series.

PDA1.jpg

PDA6.jpg

(Under Dobson's thumb is a vertical button, but I haven't found a still image of it)

Anyhow, you can see the base is indeed the Type-N-Go. Here's what you get when you order one online:
PDA_base2.jpg

PDA_base1.jpg

Minus the heart sticker, of course. I just stuck that on there to cover the "Fellowes" logo. I haven't decided whether to do this as another "civilian" piece and put a Telefonix logo on it somewhere, or copy the Alliance style straight out and cover the Fellowes logo with an Alliance insignia.

The left "box" side does feel rather flimsy -- makes it not surprisingly when you see the thing burst into pieces when Dobson throws it against the wall. :)
(Boy's got some anger management issues.... was I the only one who thought he looked like a dopey Luke Skywalker?)

Anyhow -- I don't suppose anyone with a vacform table would be interested in doing a run of the little computer box inside? I'd be happy to make up a static graphic of the screen.

As you can see, there is a stylus slot in the rear. It's a little small compared to that in the "encyclopedia" planner, but it might well be possible to enlarge it a tad so that the "encyclopedia" and the "cortex terminal" could share light up data sticks.

PDA_stylii.jpg

Originally posted by blubeetle3@Dec 24 2005, 09:33 PM
Search for "PLANNER" and "ALUMINUM" in both title and description. Then, start sifting through the results and looking at the photos 'cuz most sellers don't know what they got. As evidenced by me being the only person to bid on it.

P.S. There's one up for auction right NOW on eBay. Same seller I got mine from.
[snapback]1143346[/snapback]​

Or, you can just search for "Fellowes Type-N-Go". I came up with three just like that (bought one, so there would be two left there).

I do believe they're asking about the doc's "encyclopedia" based on the aluminum planner, not Dobson's pda-thingie, based off the Type'N'Go.

I got mine from the same seller posted above, so it's possible he has a crate of 'em somewhere. (Winston Cup Museum, I think). It is silver colored rather than black, and doesn't have "Symnova" written anywhere on it. Looks just the same though.

Yeah, he told me he has plenty of them, so anyone in the US is sorted :thumbsup , just doesnt ship internationally unfortunately. I havnt located another source for us UK members yet.

Just got myself a Type'n'Go unit though :p

Got mine this morning. Came with a non-working M515 inside it. So at least it fills the big hole.
Anyone found any new leads on the aluminum planner yet? I'm still on the hunt.

Originally posted by Guardian Devil@Jan 1 2006, 11:30 AM
Yeah, he told me he has plenty of them, so anyone in the US is sorted . . .
[snapback]1148062[/snapback]​

GD - who is the "he" you're referring to that has plenty of the organizers? PM me please if you don't want to post it. Thanks.

GD I am not in the US and I got one from him, I just asked if he'd ship to Canada and he said sure (for actual shipping costs of course).

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back