Firefly - Deleted scene prop

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by SurferGeek, Nov 28, 2005.

1. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool little prop that was seen on the DVD extras. Deleted scenes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool as well.

(Although, practically, if the memory rods are so small why can't they be incorporated into the unit so you don't have to swap them around? :))

3. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner Well-Known Member

Allows you to update them in a ROM format, so you don't have to deal with people sharing software. Anti-piracy at its best. :)

4. SurferGeek

Looks like a small three (or multiple) ring binder with the metal binders removed and I would imagine that the SFX were added later. Neat little prop, too bad it didn't make it into use.

5. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Hi. Been lurking for a while, finally got a chance to register.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure this does appear in "War Stories" as well -- Simon's using it as he talks with Book about the psychopathic dictator/writer.

6. amish

amish Sr Member

That is pretty sharp. I believe with the right knowledge, someone could probably duplicate a working version using a palm or pocket pc.... Hmmmm I have a spare palm..... but I am not that knowledgable...lol

Edit: Welcome to the RPF Kaylee.

7. amish

amish Sr Member

On second thought, it is too big to use a palm or pocket pc for. I am going to look into those digital books that had been all the rage a year or two or three ago... This might actually be a found item...

e-book reader is the actual term I think.

8. SurferGeek

It's done after production... The book is too thin and if you look under the top portion you can see that the area of shadow that should be illuminated by the "screen" is not.

As far as it actually being used in an episode? Possible, if it was I think you only see the backside and definately not a closeup like above. If someone has some caps to show it in the episode?

9. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Looks like a DVD case with an EL sheet on one side.

10. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

I'm afraid my DVDs are out on loan and I've not got the proper screen capture software anyhow. :( However, after seeing that photo over on still-flying.net, the thing popped out at me when I saw the episode again.

As Simon and Book are discussing who did what to River's brain and why, we see Simon looking not only at the screen, but also at a something in his hands. In one shot, we see him closing up that unit and placing it on the counter -- the little data rod things are plainly visible for like half a second.

Anyhow... I'm more partial to Dobson's Cortex-hookup-blackberry thing... any ideas on that thing?

11. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

Definitely a binder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good eye, Kaylee. :) I'd never noticed it in War Stories before.

12. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the images.

Hrmm.. any chance the binder itself is a found item?

:)

13. Krel

Krel Sr Member

They also used that organizer on "Babylon 5", interestingly enough it was a medical prop. I remember it because I have one, although mine is silver. It is a SYMNOVA Organizer, no model number given. It has six rings, two card holders in the front cover, and single memo holder in the back cover. The space in the spine where the data rod goes is a pen slot. It is aluminium with plastic interior and hinges. It was a Christmas present from my Mother back in 95.

There is a stick-on tag on the back inside cover:

BRKSTN ITEM # 174276
    MADE IN TAIWAN
    R.O.C.

I hope this helps.

David.

Okay it's offical, I'm an idiot. I was looking at the orginizer and found this inside one of the card holders.

PAT. NO.:
    U.S.A. 5,108,212
    TAIWAN 72,981

GERMANY G93 01 484.8
    CHINA 93099

14. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

15. SurferGeek

I'm pretty sure I may have one of those somewhere in a box maybe as we're in the midst of moving soon. I'll have to wait for the unpacking, unless someone finds these available in amounts smaller than 600.

16. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

I just found one on ebay.. the search terms I used were "aluminum" and "planner" if that helps. It's also silver... kinda pretty actually.

Anyhow.. I couldn't find that -- or any -- brand name on this one. Just a "made in china" label.

Here's some other angles of the thing --

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The containers on the left hand side are marked for business cards (top and bottom) and "accessories." They look like they open, but I can't quite figure out how yet, and I don't want to risk cracking the plastic.

I'm planning on leaving it silver and turning it into a similar notepad computer to Simons, though without the medical bent... just say it was another year's release. :)

So.. perhaps one of those electroluminescent sheets already mentioned, with a transparency graphic over it? I can handle making a graphic easily enough, but any ideas on the background lighting? It looks like the calculator unit should pull free pretty easy.. again, once I figure out how to do it without cracking the surrounding plastic.

-K

(PS -- the screws that hold the planner part in are necessary -- they tighten the front and back of the spine tight so as to keep the covers from flopping around.. prolly replace those with shorter hex screws.

17. blubeetle3

blubeetle3 Well-Known Member

I just won on of these off of eBay.

Made any progress yet?

18. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner Well-Known Member

Actually the medical bent is just for that episode (i.e. it has the medical stick in it). Don't think there is any good pics, but in "Our Mrs. Renyolds" Book asks Simon if he has an encyclopedia, and then they come back Book reads from a small book about wedding ceromonies.

19. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Granted, I think it's just fow the doc's got his set up -- it seems most every stick he's got in there but the encyclopedia is medical related. Anyhow, I'm going for more of a "junior Kaylee/kid of the ''verse" kinda look.

To that end, while I've not done anything to the inside yet, I made up some Kaylee-esque "shiny stickers" for the shell. Also stuck some on my "Mark V" PAL, since I have yet to track down the real thing. Hey, it's close, right? :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyhow, I'll prolly put those stickers up on CafePress or som'n for the browncoats over on Joss' site. There's a few others I didn't bother to cut out, but those are the good ones one there.

The bank label I just printed on a T-shirt transfer and ironed it onto a bag I made.
    The Chinese on that one at least is right -- one of my coworkers is from China and was kind enough to translate it for me. The stickers are babelfish generated, but since they're all simple words ('love' 'flowers' 'butterflies' 'pretty song') I figure they're pretty close.

I have a grpahic mostly done for the inside -- I just haven't even thought about making the lightbox for it yet what with Christmas projects for several friends.

20. amish

amish Sr Member

If anyone gets a lead on another one of these popping up, please let me know via PM. I have been searching myself, but keep missing them.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

21. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Myself as well. I wonder if it makes sense to try and cast one in resin, since it's black anyway?

22. pixellent

pixellent New Member

Yeah. I know exactly what the basis for Dobson's Cortex device is. I recognized it right away. It's a TypeN'Go, made by Fellowes, originally available some four years ago. It was a specialized case for Palm and Handspring PDAs that incorporated a workable keyboard and function keys right into the case. I don't think Fellowes makes them anymore, but they can still be found through some PDA parts dealers if you look hard enough, probably for cheap.

Here's a web review of the TypeN'Go with pictures. Compare it to Dobson's device and see if you don't agree...

TypeNGo Review

23. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

24. dr_slurpee

I wonder if there are 30 people that would want one of them? A group order could work.

25. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Wow -- nice hunting.

For what it's worth, I did find a name on mine -- "RAFALE" is molded into the plastic on the calculator half. None of the innards said symnova, but it looks identical to the pictures posted.

Perhaps the same manufacturer used different names at different points?

Oh -- on the Type'N'Go... just got one -- it does look right.. just needs the thingie on the left stuck in there in place of where the PDA would go. I suppose that would need to be vac formed? Also, any chance that rubber-looking piece across the top was pulled off of something else?
    Anyhow -- the right keyboard half seems pretty solid -- the left feels almost shoddy.. might be different with the PDA/whatever in it. The whole case is made of a lighter weight plastic and feels definately "toy like" compared to the planner/encyclopedia.

26. blubeetle3

I just got my planner yesterday in UPS. Definitely shiny. Not bad for $8.00 total including shipping. Viva la eBay.

27. dr_slurpee

How are you people finding them on ebay? * you. lol

28. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

:lol Just thinking the same thing. I've been searching constantly and I've been coming up with nothing

29. SurferGeek

I faintly recall that prop... Any screencaps of it?

30. blubeetle3

Search for "PLANNER" and "ALUMINUM" in both title and description. Then, start sifting through the results and looking at the photos 'cuz most sellers don't know what they got. As evidenced by me being the only person to bid on it.

P.S. There's one up for auction right NOW on eBay. Same seller I got mine from.

31. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Thanks for the heads up. :) I'd be all over it if he would ship to the UK. Guess thats why its not coming up in my searches.
    Looks like this ones yours Dr_Slurpee :thumbsup

32. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

On Dobson's PDA thing -- here's a couple images I found online. I KNOW the kind soul who took these screencaptures is a member here, but for the life of me I can't remember your site. (I'm sorry.) Anyhow, his site has all sorts of wonderful images of this, Mal and Jayne's sidearms, and I think a couple other things from the series.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Under Dobson's thumb is a vertical button, but I haven't found a still image of it)

Anyhow, you can see the base is indeed the Type-N-Go. Here's what you get when you order one online:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Minus the heart sticker, of course. I just stuck that on there to cover the "Fellowes" logo. I haven't decided whether to do this as another "civilian" piece and put a Telefonix logo on it somewhere, or copy the Alliance style straight out and cover the Fellowes logo with an Alliance insignia.

The left "box" side does feel rather flimsy -- makes it not surprisingly when you see the thing burst into pieces when Dobson throws it against the wall. :)
    (Boy's got some anger management issues.... was I the only one who thought he looked like a dopey Luke Skywalker?)

Anyhow -- I don't suppose anyone with a vacform table would be interested in doing a run of the little computer box inside? I'd be happy to make up a static graphic of the screen.

As you can see, there is a stylus slot in the rear. It's a little small compared to that in the "encyclopedia" planner, but it might well be possible to enlarge it a tad so that the "encyclopedia" and the "cortex terminal" could share light up data sticks.

[​IMG]

33. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Or, you can just search for "Fellowes Type-N-Go". I came up with three just like that (bought one, so there would be two left there).

34. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

I do believe they're asking about the doc's "encyclopedia" based on the aluminum planner, not Dobson's pda-thingie, based off the Type'N'Go.

I got mine from the same seller posted above, so it's possible he has a crate of 'em somewhere. (Winston Cup Museum, I think). It is silver colored rather than black, and doesn't have "Symnova" written anywhere on it. Looks just the same though.

35. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Yeah, he told me he has plenty of them, so anyone in the US is sorted :thumbsup , just doesnt ship internationally unfortunately. I havnt located another source for us UK members yet.

Just got myself a Type'n'Go unit though :p

36. blubeetle3

Any idea on what type of pda was used for Dobson's "blackberry"? Or is it a created part added by the prop department?

37. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

I'm guessing it was something custom. Here's the 3 designs of pda the case is designed for (Or at least so I'm told):

[​IMG]M500
    [​IMG]M505
    [​IMG]M515

38. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Got mine this morning. Came with a non-working M515 inside it. So at least it fills the big hole.
    Anyone found any new leads on the aluminum planner yet? I'm still on the hunt.

39. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

GD - who is the "he" you're referring to that has plenty of the organizers? PM me please if you don't want to post it. Thanks.

40. dr_slurpee

GD I am not in the US and I got one from him, I just asked if he'd ship to Canada and he said sure (for actual shipping costs of course).

41. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

The post above mine says who he is, he's the Winston Cup Museum on eBay.
    Pretty sure his screen name is just Winstoncupmuseum might be a slight variation on that though. someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I asked him if he'd ship outside of the US and was told he doesnt offer international shipping at this time and has no plans to for the future. Thanks for my query and good luck with my search for one elsewhere. Guess you caught him in a generous mood :lol

42. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Gotcha. Thanks for the information (I had actually just found the same information through an ebay search for the planner).

43. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Bump to see if anyone's got any ideas about the part on the left. I was at the grocery store the other day, and the kid working the register had a T-Mobile Sidekick and I immediately thought that it looked pretty close (it even has the vertical button that Kaylee points out), but the dimensions don't seem to fit the space in the Type-N-Go. Although, now that I look at the pictures again, the black endcaps do extend the piece inside quite a bit. What does everyone else think?

Also, what about the Symnova planner? Anybody got any leads on how to modify that?

44. amish

amish Sr Member

I found a seller who has about 19 planners left as of right now. PM me if you need the info.

edit make that 17 planners left :)

45. SurferGeek

Just got mine. Thanks Amish. Cheaper than I've seen 'em listed anywhere else.

46. trekkieb47

trekkieb47 Well-Known Member

Got mine too... I tried contacting the other ebay guy that sells them (Winston Cup Museum), but never never responded to my emails, so... I am not missing out on this item. ;)

Berry

47. trekkieb47

Well it came in the mail today, the Symnova Organizer, but it is slightly different than what Kaylee got.

On mine, internally it has only two fold out card holders, and the inside back doesn't have a calculator, but a recessed area for "memo storage". On the back, embossed on the aluminum is "ScanCard WORKBOOK".... is there anyway I can sand this down to get a smooth back?

Berry

48. dr_slurpee

Can you take some pics Berry? The one Kaylee and I have is slightly different than the one used on screen, if the guys auction photos are correct then you should have the correct one. The calculator is not needed anyway so that of course does not matter, the lettering on the back really doesn't matter either since we never see the back of it to know if it should or should not be there. As for sanding it down, it's it's not raised too much you should be able to, but it if is raised too much then the aluminum would be too thin in that area after sanding.

49. judgedredd

judgedredd Sr Member

you could try wire wool to remove image then a fine auto paint buffing compound we have "T CUT " in the Uk to remove scratches

50. trekkieb47

I will try to get pictures later tonight.

Berry