Finished Red 5 for GF

Dymerski

Sr Member
She is all done and THANKS GF for sending me the built model pics. I sent it to him with wings and guns left off for ease of packing. I also added some close up shots before shipping her off

Dean

Dean, when are you going to make a master class DVD? That is just stunning as usual. I would love to know one thing please. When you have dirt round the edge a raised panel, like the main plate on the belly of the X how do you get it so damn good & what paint/pastel is it. I know its a lot to ask but I would love this one tip if possible as I've never quite got that down & always avoid doing it as it looks naff when I try. Go on Dean reveal all?

Guy

Dean, when are you going to make a master class DVD? That is just stunning as usual. I would love to know one thing please. When you have dirt round the edge a raised panel, like the main plate on the belly of the X how do you get it so damn good & what paint/pastel is it. I know its a lot to ask but I would love this one tip if possible as I've never quite got that down & always avoid doing it as it looks naff when I try. Go on Dean reveal all?

Guy

I think that's some airbrushing with an heavy wash which will stick around the the raised panel ! Well just a guess lol

Great stuff as always Dean, how many X-Wings have you painted ? Im sure more than the Red Squadron birds ! :) :thumbsup

Yep, I have to agree, one of the best X-Wings I've seen. Kudos on the great weathering. That is the thing that will make or break a great X-Wing model.

Guy, in my X-Wing I used only used pastel chalks for weathering. The technique I used was to scape the chalk with my x-acto blade until I had a small mound of dust. I then used a short bristled brush to transfer the powder to the area I was weathering. Then, scrub it in with the brush. Keep adding more powder until your happy with the results. Also, don't use just straight black, one of the keys is that the shading is actually a variation most times of the body color itself. Practice makes perfect. Also, pre-washes with super thinned paint adds great relief to panel lines and nooks and crannies.

Guy

Thanks Guy,

I try to think like the old scoolers at ILM, what paint did they have access to in the 70's, would they mix colors, or go right from the bottle, etc. I have stared at so many pics for soooo many hours you would think I was crazy just to match the paint style.

The areas you are refering to have oil paint washes, mix of brown and black, thinned down and allowed to flow in your desired areas.

I use NO pastels, everything is done with washes and an airbrush

I have nothing to hide:lol, I would love to do a "how to" as soon as I get done with my deck building...I will jump on it! I might even do a web site or something:love

Dean

Thanks so much Dean, I only used oils once on my AT-ST but really need to try some more, might throw some on the E wing, Web site sounds ace & am sure it will be a popular site no doubt. It would be great to see you work as you can pic up so much more than just studying pics. Look forward to it.

Guy

Last edited:
Dean,

What do you mean you already sent it to GF? Didn't you get the memo? You were supposed to send it to ME! :love

Seriously, though: ship looks insane. Congrats on another amazing build.

-Josh

Thanks Guy,

I try to think like the old scoolers at ILM, what paint did they have access to in the 70's, would they mix colors, or go right from the bottle, etc. I have stared at so many pics for soooo many hours you would think I was crazy just to match the paint style.

The areas you are refering to have oil paint washes, mix of brown and black, thinned down and allowed to flow in your desired areas.

I use NO pastels, everything is done with washes and an airbrush

I have nothing to hide:lol, I would love to do a "how to" as soon as I get done with my deck building...I will jump on it! I might even do a web site or something:love

Dean

There is some truly outstanding work done here on the forum, but in my opinion yours is the best X-wing job I have ever seen. :love

I haven't started any of my studio scale stuff, and I don't know when I will, but I would dearly love to see a tutorial in the future.

Well what can I say, I was floored when I opened the box, to be honest the photos don't do the paintjob/weathering justice, so many little details and color hues are lost in the photos, Dean has raised the bar on this one, This is the 4th model Dean did for me, it only gets better and better!

Blockade Runner (Randy Cooper)
Y-wing Gold leader (MR)
X-wing Red 5 Hero (V3 Salzo)

Coming Soon!
SS Cloud Car (Salzo version)

This one will be a different challenge with the many color panel shades and luster
can't wait

GFollano

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back