FINISHED Finally! Doctor Who Judoon build

Re: Doctor Who Judoon build

Wow

You leave a thread for a week or so and come back and the quality of work just smacks you in the face!

Mr Judoon is looking great! Its proportions are definitely much closer now and I can't wait to see him finished.

I just opened a thread to detail the blaster build here!

Worked a lot this weekend trying to get symmetry correct. Reconstructed about half of him (again) but every time I finished one part, another piece jumped out at me at being just too wrong. Right now, I can tell the lip is going a bit to the right... but I think that's it. I worked a lot on increasing the bridge of the nose and I took in the jaw about an inch on either side.

So once that's taken care of I can -finally- get to the detail wrinkles and cast this big boy! And he is huge.

Comments and advice greatly appreciated :)

413812279.jpg

413812581.jpg

413812884.jpg

413813085.jpg

The Black Shadow Reactor Boots are made by New Rock. I've owned about 5 pairs of new rock boots in my time and they all look much better than the desdomnia ones and they do make cheaper pairs. Also they're widely available on eBay second hand at better prices because they are very common in the punk and goth scenes. One warning on new rocks though - for the prices they are they are not made for wearing every day. Ive always found the soles crack within 6-8 months and the metal greeblies on the soles usually fall off. There are also quite a few knock offs going around these days way cheaper but much closer than the demonia boots. It would be better IMHO to grab a pair of lower cut New Rocks with the right foot cut and sole and extend them upward with additions if budget is an issue.

I'll chip in here as I know a fair bit about the Judoon Costume having handled some of the opriginal costume pieces, seen the costumes up close at exhibitions etc as well and also spoke to certain peeps who were involved in the costumes construction.

The actual boots used are indeed New Rock ones, and the correct ones are the New Rock 272 S1 boots (with 6 buckles on them ) , a pair of which I own. Google away ;)

Also, I spent months trying to track down the actual make and model of leather biker trousers that were used on the actual costumes. Having studied lots of photos and other reference material it took me the best part of 6 months to track a pair of them down.

For some reason I cant see any photos in this thread to offer any advice. I was planning on making an accurate Judoon costume myself but have moved onto other things. Bizarelly I came onto the RPF today as I'm going to be selling the boots and biker trousers soon.

For some reason I cant see any photos in this thread to offer any advice. I was planning on making an accurate Judoon costume myself but have moved onto other things. Bizarelly I came onto the RPF today as I'm going to be selling the boots and biker trousers soon.

Thanks for your note!

I am really irritated by my photos disappearing... those links seem to have gone awol. I will need to go back and edit every entry. What a pain.

Have taken a bit of a break from this project to work on last minute details for NYCC and Halloween, but will be jumping right back into it after the 31st.

As for the boots/pants.... you have a PM, sir!

VERY cool to have the info, Supersixnine. Indeed, I was thinking those trousers were motorcycle armor... if there's a make & type, please let us know.

No worries, don't mind helping at all. The pants are made by a company called Teknic and the model is the Thunder Pant. :confused

From searching around they made these in different models i.e one for touring/cruising and another for racing. It's the touring ones that are the correct ones. The racing ones are cut and look differently and the big giveaway is a large velcro patch below the outside of the knees. Knee sliders are attached to those patches but aren't used on the touring style ones.

I would add though that unless you're an absolute purist then a pair of similar pants would do the job. All but the knees on the pants are covered up by the kilt anyway so the vast majority of people wouldn't know the difference. Still, it's always nice to identify a used item :thumbsup

I've uploaded various images of the costume/ pistol as well as the pants/boots I currently have that I'm looking to sell:

Costume pictures by zedtoodee - Photobucket

And talking about visibility: The more I work in those eyes to get the proper Judoon squint, the worse the visibility of this mask becomes. Right now it looks like there will be hardly any at all :-( I had intended to install a half-sphere of painted plastic at the very end for the eye.

Any suggestions for the visibility?

Not sure if you've figured this out yet. It looks there are small holes in the skin folds on each side of the top horn. It looks like that's how the actors see out. Here's pic that makes the holes obvious.;

Blogtor Who

blogtor-sja_judoon8.jpg

blogtor-sja_judoon8.jpg

prisoner-of-the-judoon-pics-603.htm

Oh, wow, I had not figured this out yet. Thank you--this will be very helpful!

And as an update, this project has been on hold as there've been a few other sculpts/costumes ahead of it in the queue. But it will be finished this summer :)

Oh, wow, I had not figured this out yet. Thank you--this will be very helpful!

And as an update, this project has been on hold as there've been a few other sculpts/costumes ahead of it in the queue. But it will be finished this summer :)

Keep us updated. It looks awesome.

Yet another one of my dream costumes coming to life before my very eyes. This is really impressive work and I, like so many others, will be watching for updates when they start coming again.

Bet you guys thought I forgot about this project. Going full steam on it as of right now.

First off I'd like to toss a HUGE HUGE thank you to theRPF user Supersixnine, who sent me a bunch of amazing reference photos from the Doctor Who exhibits in Cardiff, London, Newcastle, and some behind the scenes shots. AMAZING. I'll be posting some of the photos he sent me to this thread so you can see what I'm working with.

This was my very first sculpt and I made a lot of mistakes along the way. Best way to learn. But looking back on it now, I'm going and re-doing much of it. I started with the back of the head, which simply wasn't the right shape. So I cut off the back of the big boy's head and attached a foam head to the back, where my actual head will sit in the mask. (I also wouldn't be using the Chavant Soft, which feels now WAY WAY too soft for me. Can't wait to never use this clay again & going back to the Medium.)

7229919638_af3b458a82_z.jpg

Here are some of those wonderful reference photos, so you'll see what I mean:

7229935062_78423b4d7a_z.jpg

7229930996_5537e502f2_z.jpg

7229929768_2df60f3d96_z.jpg

7229929094_33586c4106_z.jpg

I had to do some pretty severe reshaping of my sculpt, which was just too boxy and flat up at the jaw. Here's the beginnings of my new take (still pretty raw, but getting there):

7229918310_0983c75fa2_z.jpg

7229918526_5ac923a808_z.jpg

7229918124_98682e8276_z.jpg

7229918620_18292eeca9_z.jpg

Input welcome, however I'm going to move pretty fast on this big boy over this next week :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back