Fine Molds Falcon!

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by superjedi, May 11, 2005.

1. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

2. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

HELL YEAH BABY WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

1:72, wouldn't that be in roughly the same size as the old AMT/ertl kit? I'm sure the details and proportions will blow that old crap out of the water but I would have wanted something bigger.

Steve.

4. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

The old kit is more like 1/80 something. Hopefully they will be allowed to make it like the FX miniature instead of the newly connonized Highwall Falcon.

5. Watson

Fine Molds will do it right. Very rarely would I ever say something with such certainty, but thier track record speaks for itself and I have faith they will do it justice and then some.

Greg

6. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm speechless.........

7. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

Man,
    My wife flipped when I spent half that on the SlaveI.
    & that's still sitting on the shelf after nearly a year.
    Think she'll go for it?

8. binkleywalker

binkleywalker Sr Member

Does that say it won't be released until March? Well, time to save up for it, I guess.

Brian

9. sstinson

sstinson Well-Known Member

Here is an even better link with pictures of a prototype.

BTW, greetings i am new to the board...

Falcon Prototype

10. wakeboardjedi

wakeboardjedi Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great pics, looks like it will be fun to build.

Welcome to the board.

11. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For some reason the pics are not showing.

12. staermose

staermose Sr Member

I wonder if this will be the large 5 ft ANH Version or the smaller from ESB? It will most likely not be a compromise of the two or one of the other models that where used. I'm hoping for the ESB version. The detailing of the 5 ft would in this scale be to small in many cases to be included.

What version are you guys hoping for??

And in case the pics still don't work

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/204.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/205.jpg[/image]

13. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

holy god almighty...

Thats AMAZING... This just bumped my PL Enterprise from first place...

-Gary

14. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's an ESB, too. Lookin' good.

I wonder, though, why so many add-on parts are necessary. Most of them have no undercuts, so they could've easily been tooled as part of the base hull pieces, eliminating a tree or three. That would've driven down production cost (and price) tremendously.

15. Watson

Man those gunwells look amazing. I am drooling over this already. As for them making all the add on pieces that doesnt really bother me.

JDH

16. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

B) oh yea . . .

17. METALLBOY

METALLBOY Well-Known Member

EXCELLENT :)

18. gobler

gobler Sr Member

I just ordered the TIE-Fighter from them The Pics look great, does any one have any of the modles from this place? How are they in person? Also How big is the TIE? Sorry if this in a little OT from the Falcon (which looks super)

Cheers,
    Jeff

19. nivektunk

nivektunk Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I might just have to put aside my old AMT kit and Falcon kits parts. It looks great. I already warned my wife I'm buying it when it's available. And with it being 1/72 there's more room for lighting.
    Cheers, Kevin

20. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:D

This is the best news ever for Falcon fans.

21. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

This is great news. Is there a Fine Molds dealer you can pre-order these at?

Sean

22. Watson

StarShip Modeler will be taking pre orders once final pricing has been established.

Greg

23. kleine Stefan

kleine Stefan New Member

wooohaaa......best news ever...

24. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

25. Watson

Sweet shot of the new Batmobile :)

26. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I suppose you could always tell her how much the MR studio scale replica is going to cost ;)

PL Enterprise and now a Fine Molds Falcon, it's a great time to be alive.

Cheers,

Dave C

27. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Ack. I wanna see Cobywan's pictures.. I get 404 errors when I click on them.
    Any more pics of this gorgeous thing?

28. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

29. Treadwell

The site apparently has blocked direct linking. You have to navigate back to http://pam.main.jp/
    and scroll down to the thumbnails.

30. staermose

staermose Sr Member

31. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

I saved them at work. Unfortunately I am at home. Wait...I didn't mean to say that.

The link to HLJ has new pictures.

http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMX-01

Ah. Thanks. . . those are excellent.

I just had a thought. Knowing FM's penchant for "comprehensive" decal sheets, what do you guys imagine the Falcon's decals will be like?
    All those mysterious tiny markings? Maybe the various off-color panels done as decals?
    What do you think?
    Eric

32. Ivanhotep

Ivanhotep Well-Known Member

This is right excellent. I'd love to see some aftermarket detailing kits, with lighting kit, etched brass detailing, real grills over the engines, etc. Wonder if one of those armor detailing houses would turn out a supplemental kit?

I'm also looking forward to Miyazaki's pig tank.

33. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Finally.. Of course this occurs right on the heels of the completion of my AMT with scratch building and Falcon kits complete conversion kit.

Timing is everything.

Not to hijack the thread--but I am tempted to wait on this until I see the Master Replicas Studio Falcon (32 inches?)--which will probably be the most expensive thing they have brought to market. Anyone know what the price might be? North of $3000?

34. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Hopefully with Finemolds we won't need aftermarket detailing kits. :D

35. SinkTube Jedi

SinkTube Jedi Well-Known Member

* that is SSSWWWEEEEEEEEEEEET.

36. Ivanhotep

Ivanhotep Well-Known Member

Do they include brass detailing in their kits? I think for the engine grills at least, some sort of mesh screen will be essential to avoid that "plastic kit" look.

37. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Touche'.

God point -- ya got me.

38. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

If it's a simaler scale, why can't you just get some train top screens at a train shop? they work great.. As do half the gazillion greeblies you can find in one of those shops. B)

39. KUROK

KUROK Well-Known Member

I'm pumped 'bout this kit. Gotta start saving up now.. :D

40. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

41. phase pistol

Check out this new info from the HLJ site.. 800 parts. ENGINE DETAIL. B)

According to Fine Molds' President Kunihiro Suzuki, he and his staff took over 600 photos of the actual 60cm dia. model that was used for principal photography of the Millennium Falcon in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi to give them all the reference information they needed to create the perfect replica. The building process will be much like the way the prop was built, with numerous detail parts being attached to the large hull pieces. When completed, the model will be about 30cm (about one foot) in diameter -- just slightly smaller than the MPC/Ertl kit. It will take a lot more effort to complete this than the older kit, however, as some 17 runners will house over 800 parts that you'll need to attach.

Other features we know: Landing ramp will be able to be built open or closed. Display stand will be included to allow landed or in-flight display. Landing gear will be able to be attached either deployed or retracted. Figures of some kind will be included, but no details on those are available yet. The kit will also include the first-ever Millennium Falcon engine detail. As that part of the ship normally appears simply as a blue-white special-effects glow, details were missing in previous products, but Lucas' artists created "official" information specifically for Fine Molds as to how that part of the ship is structured as well (based on the brief, added special effects shot from the original movie when the Falcon lifts off from Mos Eisley).

[​IMG]

"Stolen"? Harsh. I was giving free publicity, morons... :lol

Anyway HLJ (which is a fine company BTW) has a special page up on the Falcon, check it out.

http://www3.hlj.com/shs05/falcon/index.html

- k

42. Raygun

Raygun Well-Known Member

Just think how much easier this will be to paint. With the hull halves being a mostly blank deck with no greeblies in the way, you can do all sorts of panel masking and weathering and paint all the bits seperately and then assemble it. Personally, I prefer it like this. I can't wait to get my hands one...just hope I can afford it when it hits the shelves.

Raygun

43. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So, anyone think they know what the MR scale is going to be? I highly doubt it being 32". Plus, I think it's just too big to display. It'd be overbearing. What's the diameter of the FM 1/72 Falcon?

44. phase pistol

"When completed, the model will be about 30cm (about one foot) in diameter "

[​IMG]

45. Treadwell

But on the studio model most of the greeblies are the same color as the hull and weathered along with it at the same time.

No big deal, mind ya.

46. SGluedMyFingers

SGluedMyFingers Well-Known Member

Words cannot describe my elation regarding the news of this release. I was 12 when I opened my first MPC falcon and was almost as disappointed as the last AMT falcon that I opened about 6 months ago. I had forgotten how bad it was. After several thousand (it seems like) e-mails to falconkits, I made an order for styrene sheet from Plastruct - I'd make my own sidewalls. And I'm glad. I've learned a lot. But I'll be a lot more glad when I have a Fine Molds Falcon on my bench. I imagine it will be a useful reference for fixing the AMT. Maybe I'll cast new sidewalls and meet the WIDE OPEN demand for those unable to afford the Fine Molds. Maybe?

Viva La Fine Molds.

Cliff
    Super-Glued My Fingers

47. Betamin

Betamin Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anyone have a rough estimate as to how much they think this'll cost??

48. Watson

Pricing as of right now, but will most likely change, is in the $175 - $185 range USD.

JDH

49. SGluedMyFingers

SGluedMyFingers Well-Known Member

Last I heard was about $180. Figure in shipping and I'm saving up $200.00

Seemingly expensive, at first glance. But let's add this up:

AMT Falcon Model: Oh, about $25.00 on a good day.

Trilliance Gunwells: $21.00 (each) x 2 = $42.00 (plus Shipping)
    http://www.starshipmodeler.com/store/store_2.cfm?Line=5
    or
    http://www.triliance.de/products.html

Falconkits: $115.00 maybe more due to lack of availability - IF you can find a set.
    http://www.falconkits.com/html/order.html

MMI Grills: $48.00
    http://www.federationmodels.com/products/millennia%5Fmodels/
    or
    http://www.coldnorth.com/millennia_models/...ucts/index.html

Trilliance is also offering accurized turbo laser cannons for about the same as the gunwells, so you can tack on another $40.00 or so for a total of:

$270.00

And you still have a flattened, greeblie starved, aftermarket laden falcon that STILL isn't accurate. Let's face it: falconkits sidewalls - nice, but inaccurate. The cockpit insert - not even close. The trilliance gunwells are nice too - but again, not real accurate. At $200.00 for a falcon with finemolds accuracy - IT'S A STEAL.

50. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow - I think I just wet myself.

So, this is basically the same scale as the TIE and X-Wing...think of the diorama possibilities....I'm reeling. I've always wanted to do something with the Falcon getting sucked inside a hangar on the Death Star. At this scale, that just might be doable. Recreate the scene with the Space Troopers...

Cool. Thanks for the news..

Allan